Can't find oil

Spino288

Jul 9, 2013
I've been searching for quite a while now on the overworld and the moon for oil reservoirs. I'm not sure if I'm just not looking hard enough or something is missing. To be sure, I tried blast mining large portions of the world, but still didn't find any oil. I tried to keep these blast-mining drills to the 20-30 brick layer. Has anyone else had this problem?

Spino288

Jul 9, 2013
*update*

After messing around with the spawn rates in the config, I found what seems to have supposed to been an oil reservoir (picture attached)

However, it was completely dry. Still have not found any oil, is the oil missing?

Attachments

• oil reservoir.png
    oil reservoir.png
    775.2 KB · Views: 15

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
What version of Galacticraft are you running? The builds for Minecraft 1.6 supposedly got this fixed. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try these out yet.

garner fenoms

May 2, 2013
Emmett
I've been searching for quite a while now on the overworld and the moon for oil reservoirs. I'm not sure if I'm just not looking hard enough or something is missing. To be sure, I tried blast mining large portions of the world, but still didn't find any oil. I tried to keep these blast-mining drills to the 20-30 brick layer. Has anyone else had this problem?

I would try installing buildcraft because buildcraft oil works in the gakacticraft refinery. And on the other hand you get automatic mining machines.

Spino288

Jul 9, 2013
I would try installing buildcraft because buildcraft oil works in the gakacticraft refinery. And on the other hand you get automatic mining machines.

The latest version of buildcraft is outdated. I'll try getting the newer builds of galacticraft.

*edit*

Nope, still nothing. Is this happening to anyone else?

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
I've seen those as well. I first assumed they were oil reservoirs, and they might well be. After hours of searching in creative mode I did finally come across some oil. It wasn't in one of those holes. It was at the bottom of a chasm. Although I bumped into it and it appeared to have broken the origin block. The rest of the oil was there though. I then change to survival and tried to extract the oil to no avail. As this has only happened once, and since it literally takes hours to find oil in creative mode I have to reproduce this. I plan on starting a new map with 1.6.2 shortly in survival and do some major spelunking. I've found that diamonds are just as hard to find as oil when flying around. But easier when cave exploring.

Dunewolfz

He-who-has-no-morals-or-sense-of-logic.
Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
There's a glitch with current Minecraft that makes the world load slowly on occasion, when this happens if you can get a good angle you can see tons of these little oil pockets, it's not even funny.
2013-04-09_18.41.00.png
And that's using the default spawn rate. The little cubes are oil wells.

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
Yes I've seen those as well. When I get to them they are empty however. I've spent hours looking. The only oil I've seen with my own eyes was not in a pocket. I've seen hundreds of those empty pockets.

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
But were they full when you were close enough to get to them with an extractor? I'm going to do some more testing.

Spino288

Jul 9, 2013
I was trying to get an x-ray mod, so I can easily find these, but alas, no X-ray mod is compatible with forge without having to crash minecraft... So, would this be classified as a bug?

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
I just spent 40 minutes going in a straight line at layer 25 and 26. I found 101x holes with indents and 6 3x3 holes. None with oil. Came across 5 Chasm's. Each chasm had I would say probably 2 possible oil deposits. No actual oil. I did what Dune did ran to one end looked for a whole dug straight to it and it was also empty.

Dunewolfz

Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
I just spent 40 minutes going in a straight line at layer 25 and 26. I found 101x holes with indents and 6 3x3 holes. None with oil. Came across 5 Chasm's. Each chasm had I would say probably 2 possible oil deposits. No actual oil. I did what Dune did ran to one end looked for a whole dug straight to it and it was also empty.

Delete your config file (or just GC's config) and restart the game. All of my oil wells are full.

Spino288

Jul 9, 2013
Nope, still nothing. I tried deleting my GC config files. I used the piston trick, found some reservoirs, but still dry. What else did you do? Also, which version of galacticraft are you using?

Dunewolfz

Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
Nope, still nothing. I tried deleting my GC config files. I used the piston trick, found some reservoirs, but still dry. What else did you do? Also, which version of galacticraft are you using?

I'm actually using the last 1.5.2 version, because some of my other mods haven't updated yet.
Go down to layer 20 and mine in a straight line until you've gone through every pickaxe you have. I haven't seen a dry well yet.
I will do some 1.6 version testing for this though.
Be back promptly.

Spino288

Jul 9, 2013
I'm actually using the last 1.5.2 version, because some of my other mods haven't updated yet.
Go down to layer 20 and mine in a straight line until you've gone through every pickaxe you have. I haven't seen a dry well yet.
I will do some 1.6 version testing for this though.
Be back promptly.

Alright. I'm using the latest build for 1.6.2 in creative. Could a later build have somehow removed the generation feature through a mistake?