Mars sky and atmosphere

Aug 31, 2013
Finland
Mars is way too dark, Now if you think about it: Mars has a very thin atmosphere and wouldn't block light as much as it does now. I do not like this. Make it as clear as in Yogscast's Lewis And Simon's video.
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w398/margaul/Duna Rover/8_zpsf22fbf2c.jpg Somewhere around that brightness with the atmosphere. the black atmosphere is way too thick for Mars. It has glowing red thin atmosphere
Anyone gonna reply to this and ask micdoodle?

Captain Kirk

Aug 26, 2013
Yes, unlighted mars should be dark, but with brightness all the way up, it appears as if it is 15, when it is 0.

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
Do any of you have actual proof, or are you just arguing your own opinions. Yes it does have an atmosphere of sorts. Depending on the makeup, you get different colors. I'm not saying I know. I just did a quick google search, and all I could see was just above the horizon. Most of the NASA artist renderings show the sky as being black above the horizon during the day. Again couldn't find a good picture from curiosity.

Flashy-3

Aug 10, 2013
Rochester, New York
Ok, The point is mars has a VERY thin atmosphere, and the sky is red. But don't forget that mars is in a Very early APLHA stage, mic said it would add MUCH more stuff to mars

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
Mars does have a atmosphere, and it CAN be that dark on Mars due to being nightime, but what bothers me really much is that you can't see the sun from the Mars. I mean it's not pluto, the sun should be visable in any way..

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
original.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is the sun view from Mars in the background.

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
You can see the sun from mars. I noticed it too. It's a bug I think. You can see it if you tilt your head just right.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Do any of you have actual proof, or are you just arguing your own opinions.
It's not that nice looking...

Main_Apollo_Hills.jpg

Martian-Sunset-O-de-Goursac-Curiosity-2013.jpg

In-situ images:
- Spirit rover: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_(rover)#Mission_timeline
- Curiosity rover: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_(rover)#Images

The sky I was expecting to see was something like a dusty sunset in the desert: http://imgur.com/a/9xRgj#0

EDIT: Do I need to point out the Mars is still in development?

EDIT2: My attempt to recreate Mars sky: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.p...oved-this-from-general.2118/page-2#post-12981

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2013
Finland
Yes we all know that -_- . I pointed out that "LATER" maybe? But the moon skybox isn't just right. Red-ish sky would be nice,I don't have any idea how to configure Overworld skybox.^
EDIT: Omfg, Your base looks really awesome even when its just so tiny. Is there any possibility you could send it to me?
Thru skype.

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
Thanks Ezer. Those are the ones I found as well. I like those pic's. The sun not showing up on Mars is a bug. Like I said you can see it if you tilt your head in a certain way. I use FOV120 maybe it has something to do with that. It should be visible however. Sky being redish would be nice during the day as well.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Sky being redish would be nice during the day as well.
This is an image that is pretty vivid in people's mind, Mars with a reddish atmosphere. This is what they will tend to expect to see.

The first time I have seen Mars was when Mic was video-streaming on Twitch. I thought it was a retextured Moon since he was still working on Mars. When I had arrived on Mars for the 1st time, I thought it was night too.

Hope Mic implement a new Mars sky.

EDIT:

The sun not showing up on Mars is a bug. Like I said you can see it if you tilt your head in a certain way. I use FOV120 maybe it has something to do with that. It should be visible however.
I'm playing on #654, the sun and stars are visible only on far view distance. I think they should be visible at least in Normal.

Last edited:

Danese

Aug 20, 2013
Earth, 2021: 2 seconds out of sync
This is an image that is pretty vivid in people's mind, Mars with a reddish atmosphere. This is what they will tend to expect to see.

The first time I have seen Mars was when Mic was video-streaming on Twitch. I thought it was a retextured Moon since he was still working on Mars. When I had arrived on Mars for the 1st time, I thought it was night too.

Hope Mic implement a new Mars sky.

EDIT:

I'm playing on #654, the sun and stars are visible only in far view distance. I think they should be visible at least in Normal.
They really should because if your pc cant handle the far distance, that (in my opinion) makes mars not as fun

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
This is my attempt.

I created a new world, set "Distant Anomaly" texture pack. Then I drained a part of an ocean and replaced grass with dirt or sand. Took screenshots at sunset and sunrise, my old trick.

2013-09-07_21.19.52.png

2013-09-07_21.48.53.png