C02 recycler.

Jappards

Aug 2, 2013
Just to clairify, air is a mixture of gasses (on earth: CO2 (carbon dioxide), O2 (oxygen), N2 (nitrogen), H2O (water) and noble gasses), so you don`t call the gasses inside the bubble of oxygen from the oxygen bubble distributor air.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I don't really get why the leaves should be decaying by an oxygen collector in the first place. Assuming the player is breathing the collected oxygen, shouldn't it actually keep the leaves from decaying because of the resulting air circulation?

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I don't really get why the leaves should be decaying by an oxygen collector in the first place. Assuming the player is breathing the collected oxygen, shouldn't it actually keep the leaves from decaying because of the resulting air circulation?

It's nothing more than a gameplay mechanic to keep it from being a "set it and forget it" machine.

Shalashalska

Sep 9, 2013
My evaluation in school was being first in my class in science, and not being from the US that means I got an actual science education. And that was without studying or doing homework either. Oh and instead of watching the latest episode of Jersey Shore or whatever crap people are watching now, I watch almost nothing but science documentaries or listening to Science podcasts. I grew up watching Bill Nye, and still watch random episodes of that show regularly.

CO2 is carbon dioxide (di means two ;) ). That means one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms. There exist processes to remove the carbon atom from CO2. The air we breathe is actually dioxygen, which is basically two oxygen atoms that bind together under normal pressure and temperature. That's handy because it's exactly what's left when we remove that carbon atom from CO2 anyways. You hear carbon scrubbers or CO2 scrubbers mentioned a lot in sci-fi or from scientists talking about solutions to global warming.

If you're the best in your class, I shudder to think what the worst in your class is. The air we breathe is actually called oxygen, not dioxygen, for gaseous molecules bonded to themselves, you just use their element name. Ionized oxygen is O, oxygen is O2. Also, the US only fails terribly in physics, not chemistry, they have better chem programs than most countries. But it's sad that someone like me can learn more physics just from browsing the modern physics sections of wikipedia (which is quite fun, actually) than going to school. In a college level physics course.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
If you're the best in your class, I shudder to think what the worst in your class is. The air we breathe is actually called oxygen, not dioxygen, for gaseous molecules bonded to themselves, you just use their element name. Ionized oxygen is O, oxygen is O2.

I hate to break it to you:

Oxygen is a chemical element with symbol O and atomic number 8. Its name derives from the Greek roots ὀξύς (oxys) ("acid", literally "sharp", referring to the sour taste of acids) and -γόνος (-gοnos) ("producer", literally "begetter"), because at the time of naming, it was mistakenly thought that all acids required oxygen in their composition. At standard temperature and pressure, two atoms of the element bind to form dioxygen, a colorless, odorless, tasteless diatomic gas with the formula O
2. This substance is an important part of the atmosphere, and is necessary to sustain most terrestrial life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen

It is important to understand the properties of dioxygen since oxidation reactions using it power not only our bodies but our entire civilization.
http://biowiki.ucdavis.edu/Biochemi...ormation_of_Earth_and_the_Development_of_Life

I suggest you do a little research. We DO breathe Dioxygen ;)

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
biowiki? A site named that? May be false information. AND THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC! AAAAA
It does not, but I believe Dex's point is that one should think before they speak. Do some research. You might learn something. Why are the dumbest people also the loudest? Being louder, doesn't make you right. It just makes you loud. Also biowiki is from UC Davis.

Reactions: Douglas_Fresh

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
It does not, but I believe Dex's point is that one should think before they speak. Do some research. You might learn something. Why are the dumbest people also the loudest? Being louder, doesn't make you right. It just makes you loud. Also biowiki is from UC Davis.

THANK-YOU!

Oxygen is NOT the same as O2. At least not in science. Oxygen is an atom. Laymen (or scientists trying to simplify things for laymen) often say: "we breathe oxygen." Technically that's false. As you said we breathe O2. Again, Oxygen =/= O2. That little 2 there means there are two oxygen atoms bonded together. In science "di" means two. If there are two oxygen atoms bonded together it's dioxygen (or dioxide). Water could be called dihydrogen oxide (or monoxide), which means 2 hydrogen one oxygen, and scientists would know exactly what you mean. They might look at you funny and ask why you didn't just say "water" though.

The perfect poof of this is that CO2 is called Carbon Dioxide. One Carbon atom and two oxygen atoms. You've also got CO, which is Carbon Monoxide. Can you guess why?

Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2. You could say dihydrogen dioxide, but that's getting a little complicated. The "per" in the name means there's an oxygen atom for every hydrogen one.

I think I'll stop the 10th grade science lesson now. Superkalasnikov, I would suggest you crack open a text book.

Untitled.png http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?members/superkalasnikov.3690/

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
1) Oxygen (symbol O) is a chemical element, a type of atom. An atom of oxygen alone is unstable, so it needs to connect to other atoms to stabilize.

2) Dioxygen (symbol O2) is a molecule made up of two atoms of oxygen. Normally it's a gas that is absorbed in metabolism of living organisms.

3) Most of living organisms (consider mostly mammals, reptiles, birds etc) breath air, not pure dioxygen (oxygen either). Air is a mixture of gases. Breathing pure O2 in high quantities is toxic.

4) Trivia: Ozone (O3) is a molecule made up of three atoms of oxygen. Normally it's found as gas and it's toxic.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
1) Oxygen (symbol O) is a chemical element, a type of atom. An atom of oxygen alone is unstable, so it needs to connect to other atoms to stabilize.

2) Dioxygen (symbol O2) is a molecule made up of two atoms of oxygen. Normally it's a gas that is absorbed in metabolism of living organisms.

3) Most of living organisms (consider mostly mammals, reptiles, birds etc) breath air, not pure dioxygen (oxygen either). Air is a mixture of gases. Breathing pure O2 in high quantities is toxic.

4) Trivia: Ozone (O3) is a molecule made up of three atoms of oxygen. Normally it's found as gas and it's toxic.

Might have gotten a few details wrong (or left them out because it was beside the point), but I think I did pretty well remembering stuff I haven't had to actively remember for over 12 years.