Telescopes and astronomy

There should be a way to craft a telescope for looking at the stars and planets. So... You know how in ther mars sky, you can see a tiny blot of blue and green, the overworld. (and a galaxy)

So looking through telescopes should

1. Zoom in on sky.

2. Allow you to see where all the planets are etc. This would be good in my main thread (check my signature, at the bottom of all my posts) because then you would know what direction to fly in etc. They should move around in the corresponding to the galaxy map etc.

Thank you! :)

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
There should be a way to craft a telescope for looking at the stars and planets. So... You know how in ther mars sky, you can see a tiny blot of blue and green, the overworld. (and a galaxy)

So looking through telescopes should

1. Zoom in on sky.

2. Allow you to see where all the planets are etc. This would be good in my main thread (check my signature, at the bottom of all my posts) because then you would know what direction to fly in etc. They should move around in the corresponding to the galaxy map etc.

Thank you! :)

I like this idea very much, the planets that are farther away from your position will be look like how you see the earth from mars sight..

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Astrology... so we're introducing horoscopes into Galacticraft to predict future? I think he wanted to mean astronomy.

Telescopes and some basic ASTRONOMY would be cool though.
One of the reasons for me to have suggested that the Moon should have some synchronization with the Overworld (rejoice! it's implemented, kinda) is that you could schedule a mission just by viewing its phases on the sky. The same thing could go for other planets and celestial bodies on the sky. This is astronomy.

Reactions: TheGalacticCrafter
Astrology... so we're introducing horoscopes into Galacticraft to predict future? I think he wanted to mean astronomy.

... you're thinking of Aztec (or mayan, whatever) fortune telling with the planets. I mean just looking at planets through telescopes. Basically, doing what people do with their telescopes nowadays.

And no, astronomy is planets and stars' physics and the universe etc. Astrology is star-gazing and telescopes.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Astronomy is a science to study the celestial bodies (planets, moons, starts, their physics, positions etc). You can do it with a Hubble-like telescope or with a simple 4" optical telescope in your backyard.
Astrology is a divination based on the position of celestial bodies.

Anyway, I understood your idea. You want to create an instrument through which we "visualize" the planets in the sky since it's impossible to see them on Overworld by normal ways. It's cool but I don't see many applications for it (unless it were required that you steer the rocket and travel in the space, I saw the topic in your sig). The only thing I'd want to know about other planets is whether it's daytime or nighttime there. I hate to land with a Party of Brainless Stupidity waiting for me on ground.

What do you mean by that?
He thought you want a telescope to see the actual terrain of a planet from the other or chunks far away on the Overworld.

EDIT:

If it's about some kind of advanced and powerful telescope that could show me from the Overworld the physics of a planet, like atmosphere, minerals, temperature, gravity, local time... it could be very useful. Then we are talking.

Last edited:
Astronomy is a science to study the celestial bodies (planets, moons, starts, their physics, positions etc). You can do it with a Hubble-like telescope or with a simple 4" optical telescope in your backyard.
Astrology is a divination based on the position of celestial bodies.

Anyway, I understood your idea. You want to create an instrument through which we "visualize" the planets in the sky since it's impossible to see them on Overworld by normal ways. It's cool but I don't see many applications for it (unless it were required that you steer the rocket and travel in the space, I saw the topic in your sig). The only thing I'd want to know about other planets is whether it's daytime or nighttime there. I hate to land with a Party of Brainless Stupidity waiting for me on ground.

He thought you want a telescope to see the actual terrain of a planet from the other or chunks far away on the Overworld.

EDIT:

If it's about some kind of advanced and powerful telescope that could show me from the Overworld the physics of a planet, like atmosphere, minerals, temperature, gravity, local time... it could be very useful. Then we are talking.

Oh. So... I think that a level 1 telescope shows the planet's icon, and shadowing for day and night time,

and a level 2 telescope, it has a lot further zoom, and just like sensor goggles, k switches modes to advanced or not advanced. Not advanced is just like level 1. Advanced, shows the terrain. Minimap style, blocks would be impossible. But we have to remember that minecraft planets are infinite dimensions, so that would ruin the idea of terrain-view. Unless there was some sort of update that made the dimensions planets or whatever...

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
... you're thinking of Aztec (or mayan, whatever) fortune telling with the planets. I mean just looking at planets through telescopes. Basically, doing what people do with their telescopes nowadays.

And no, astronomy is planets and stars' physics and the universe etc. Astrology is star-gazing and telescopes.

No. Astrology is like the fortune cookies in Chinese restaurants. They think they can predict that today is your lucky day based on where and how stars and planets were lined up when you were born. It's complete fiction and nonsense. All the way down to the fact that the Zodiac has 13 symbols, but astrologists and horoscope writers decided they liked the number 12 better and completely ignore the 13th sign.

Astrology:

Astrology comprises several systems of divination[1] based on the premise that there is a relationship between astronomical phenomena and events in the human world. In the West, astrology most often consists of a system of horoscopes that claim to explain aspects of a person's personality and predict future events in their life based on the positions of the sun, moon, and other planetary objects at the time of their birth. Many cultures have attached importance to astronomical events, and the Indians, Chinese, and Mayans developed elaborate systems for predicting terrestrial events from celestial observations.
Source

Astronomy:
Astronomy is a natural science that is the study of celestial objects (such as moons, planets, stars, nebulae, and galaxies), the physics, chemistry, mathematics, and evolution of such objects, and phenomena that originate outside the atmosphere of Earth, including supernovae explosions, gamma ray bursts, and cosmic background radiation. A related but distinct subject, cosmology, is concerned with studying the universe as a whole.[1]

Astronomy is one of the oldest sciences. Prehistoric cultures left behind astronomical artifacts such as the Egyptian monuments and Nubian monuments, and early civilizations such as the Babylonians, Greeks, Chinese, Indians, Iranians and Maya performed methodical observations of the night sky. However, the invention of the telescope was required before astronomy was able to develop into a modern science. Historically, astronomy has included disciplines as diverse as astrometry, celestial navigation, observational astronomy, and the making of calendars, but professional astronomy is nowadays often considered to be synonymous with astrophysics.[2]
Source

Oh. So... I think that a level 1 telescope shows the planet's icon, and shadowing for day and night time,

and a level 2 telescope, it has a lot further zoom, and just like sensor goggles, k switches modes to advanced or not advanced. Not advanced is just like level 1. Advanced, shows the terrain. Minimap style, blocks would be impossible. But we have to remember that minecraft planets are infinite dimensions, so that would ruin the idea of terrain-view. Unless there was some sort of update that made the dimensions planets or whatever...

Not EVERYTHING in the mod needs multiple tiers. I think it would be fine to just create one telescope, and have it do whatever it's going to do right out of the box.

To keep it from betting overly complicated (and probably hell for server resources), I think the player activating the telescope should get a GUI. The GUI would list different areas of interest. When the player selects one of the items, the moon or mars for instance, the player could then refine their view using co-ordinates. Once set the player would click a button and have to wait a few ticks (to simulate how most real telescopes images don't instantly appear). A "Collecting light" message could appear. During this wait the mod would send an invisible player type entity to the appropriate place and take a maybe 4 chunk by 4 chunk screenshot of the area from above. This image would then be displayed for the player.

If the player has a mod like Computer Craft installed, they could then print, save, or display the image on Computer craft monitors. Printing the image would let the player hang it on the wall like a painting.

You'd be able to see your base or tell a friend to check it out and even be able to see someone walking around, but the screenshot would make it easier and less of a burden on server resources.

Of course there would be a time limit coded into the mod to limit how fast players request updated images. If you look into the telescope again before the time is up it'll just display the same image again. If you change the telescope's view area before the timer is up, then you either get the last available image of that area or a longer "light collection" wait time, which would be the Light collection + whatever was left the spam prevention timer.

Last edited:

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
During this wait the mod would send an invisible player type entity to the appropriate place and take a maybe 4 chunk by 4 chunk screenshot of the area from above. This image would then be displayed for the player.
I think it's possible to generate a plain image based on the seed number, but it would generate an image of natural terrain.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I think it's possible to generate a plain image based on the seed number, but it would generate an image of natural terrain.

Generating plain terrain would be kinda boring. I'd think the biggest reason to have telescopes in the mod would be because players want to show off their bases.

If it's going to go and just show plain terrain, the mod might as well include a few Hubble images and have the telescopes display those.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
If it's going to go and just show plain terrain, the mod might as well include a few Hubble images and have the telescopes display those.
This opens room for other ideas like satellites and space telescopes. A telescope installed in a space station or "stand-alone" like Hubble would yield images from farther planets and/or more detailed images of closest ones. Satellites could be used to link or boost up the transmission of images and data between planets and bases... kind of cool for multiplayer...

... stop here or drive Mic crazy for once?​

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
This opens room for other ideas like satellites and space telescopes. A telescope installed in a space station or "stand-alone" like Hubble would yield images from farther planets and/or more detailed images of closest ones. Satellites could be used to link or boost up the transmission of images and data between planets and bases... kind of cool for multiplayer...

... stop here or drive Mic crazy for once?​

one word...

PROBES.