Realism vs Fun... (The Jupiter argument)

Kethrian

Sep 30, 2013
I've thought of a great way to keep everyone happy:

Create 2 mod packs!

Mod pack 1: Realism:

You CANT land on Jupiter, there are NO MOBS spawning on any planet because zombies are unrealistic.
There are no alien villagers, because we know there is no intelligent life out there. There is no cheese on the moon cause that would be silly right??? You cant get Oxygen on the moon because there is no atmosphere to grow trees to plug in the O2 collectors. You are running around on a ball of dust with nothing to do ... enjoy!

Mod pack 2: game/fun

You can land on planets that you wouldn't be able to in real life because this is a game and having fun and variety is more important than scientific correctness.
Zombies, skeles and a lot of other sci-fi or fantasy based mobs spawn all over the place. 3 headed creepers are okay because this is minecraft not a space sim.
No-one cares that it isn't 100% realistic because it is a game.

Kethrian

Sep 30, 2013
oh yeah I officially put my middle finger up to the guy that hates Jupiter landings because it is unrealistic, but supports the idea of a black hole in the solar system (which would destroy it) that would kill you if you flew to it unless you were in creative mode... (honestly wtf)

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
???

People are making a big deal out of it as if micdoodle8 is going to implement Jupiter exactly how people say in the posts. Micdoodle never said that he will implement what people decide in the topic. One guy wants a thing, other guy wants another thing, but it's micdoodle who will pick up what best fits in his mind.

(BTW, did micdoodle say that the next planet is Jupiter?)

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, but not entitled to force each other to agree with one's idea. It's just opinions. One loves a landable Jupiter, other hates it, but everyone loves their ideas being respected, so what with the middle-finger?

(BTW2, did micdoodle say he will implement what people agree upon in the topics?)

Tons of topics saying how only one person, micdoodle8, should code the game as their liking. Now let's cut micdoodle8 in halves, each half will implement a different type of Mod pack.

Idea is like art, subject to opinion.

Last edited:

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I have no idea what your point is
the guy that hates Jupiter landings because it is unrealistic, but supports the idea of a black hole in the solar system (which would destroy it)
But, hey, isn't it a game? It doesn't need to be realistic. One wants a landable Jupiter, but other wants a black hole in the solar system.

A landable Jupiter is as unrealistic as having a black hole in the solar system. Who cares? We don't need "scientific correctness", besides "having fun and variety is more important" because "it is a game".

If I can code a landable Jupiter, I can also code a black hole that doesn't destroy the solar system.

It's all about having ideas for a Minecraft mod. What I didn't get was why people need to make a big fuss out of different opinions.

BTW, who will implement both mod packs?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2013
Finland
I gotta be honest, Thumbs down to jupiter Landers!!!! (Unless they use tech from millions years away in the future)
And mega thumbs down to the black hole supporters! This is ought to be fun mod, but i can't tell why would you want to land on Jupiter(since its mainly composed of Gas).

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
And mega thumbs down to the black hole supporters! This is ought to be fun mod, but i can't tell why would you want to land on Jupiter(since its mainly composed of Gas).
Dude, people have opinions. Opinions are not decisions. The only one who is entitled to decide is Micdoodle8. Some of you are acting as if you are deciding on what is going to be added in the game. Heck down.

Those who want a landable Jupiter will use "this is a game, doesn't need to be realistic" as argument to fit what they think is fun in the game.
Those who don't want will use "this is a sci-fi mod, therefore this needs a scientific background to support things" as argument to fit what they expect to be fun in the game. Get it?

Reactions: MoltonMontro
Aug 31, 2013
Finland
Dude, people have opinions. Opinions are not decisions. The only one who is entitled to decide is Micdoodle8. Some of you are acting as if you are deciding on what is going to be added in the game. Heck down.

Those who want a landable Jupiter will use "this is a game, doesn't need to be realistic" as argument to fit what they think is fun in the game.
Those who don't want will use "this is a sci-fi mod, therefore this needs a scientific background to support things" as argument to fit what they expect to be fun in the game. Get it?
That was just my opinion. And i know mic doesn't do what i say, or what anyone else say.

Flashy-3

Aug 10, 2013
Rochester, New York
well this is MY point. How does a giant ball of gas just Form out of no where??? The gas giants were created when a bunch of proto-planets crashed into each other and over years gathered space gas. So why not land on the core? I think you should be able to land on the core when you have the highest tier rocket.

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
You know, I would like to mix those two modpacks together. I mean, Minecraft goes great without much realism, but take out TOO much realism, then the game is nonsensical.

I like the idea of mobs spawning in other planets, alien villagers(even though I have found none), and the cheese ore, but going to Jupiter is too much. So, my opinion is 50% Fun, 50% Realism.

oh yeah I officially put my middle finger up to the guy that hates Jupiter landings because it is unrealistic, but supports the idea of a black hole in the solar system (which would destroy it) that would kill you if you flew to it unless you were in creative mode... (honestly wtf)

Is that a reference to me...? If yes, I don't remember liking the idea of a black hole in the solar system, just suggested an use for black holes.

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
Man I REALLY want to land on Uranus

Why? It's shitty in there! *ba-tum-dishh*

Anyway, all crappy jokes aside, what I CAN'T wait for is to explore other star systems, specifically a binary star system composed of a Blue Giant and a Red Dwarf. They are the prettiest binary star systems in my opinon. :p Also, ALIENS.

C'mon, people, just because Gas Giants aren't landable doesn't means the mod has no fun. There is an entire galaxy out there for you to explore, and you only care about Gas Giants?

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
Why? It's shitty in there! *ba-tum-dishh*

Anyway, all crappy jokes aside, what I CAN'T wait for is to explore other star systems, specifically a binary star system composed of a Blue Giant and a Red Dwarf. They are the prettiest binary star systems in my opinon. :p Also, ALIENS.

C'mon, people, just because Gas Giants aren't landable doesn't means the mod has no fun. There is an entire galaxy out there for you to explore, and you only care about Gas Giants?
Short Answer: Yes

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
Short Answer: Yes

...I don't know what to reply.

But anyway, if Mic makes Gas Giants optional(As in, you can visit them but they're not necessary to get the next rocket tier), I won't mind them much, but I'm not going to like it if Gas Giants are required. But oh well, the mod is his, not mine, so he can do whatever he wants(Except dropping the mod. herp.)

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
...I don't know what to reply.

But anyway, if Mic makes Gas Giants optional(As in, you can visit them but they're not necessary to get the next rocket tier), I won't mind them much, but I'm not going to like it if Gas Giants are required. But oh well, the mod is his, not mine, so he can do whatever he wants(Except dropping the mod. herp.)
NONE of the planets (yet) are required. I don't belive gas giants would be either.