A couple of ideas for Ceres

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
Everyone here knows about Ceres, right? Being both the largest asteroid and dwarf planet of the inner Solar System, it is a rock–ice body 950 km (590 mi) in diameter and the smallest identified dwarf planet. It contains about one-third of the mass of the asteroid belt.

Getting There

Obviously, being even further away than the Overworld, at around the Asteroid Belt, your spaceship will need some better engines than a Tier 2 Rocket. Introducing the Tier 2.5 Rocket!

While the Tier 1 Rocket is able to acess the Overworld and the Moon, and the Tier 2 Rocket is able to acess the Overworld, the Moon, Mars, and maybe Venus(not implemented yet) and Mercury(not implemented yet), the Tier 2.5 Rocket upgrade would be able to acess all the previous planets, plus Ceres. You'll need four Tier 1.5 Boosters(as opposed to two Tier 1 Boosters) to aid the Spaceship to get there.

To craft Tier 1.5 Boosters, you need to combine a Tier 1 Booster with blue wool, a Rocket engine and an Air fan.

Also, obviously the Tier 3 Rocket schematic in Mars would be replaced with a Tier 2.5 Rocket schematic.

Ceres itself

Ceres' landscape would be divided into two parts: A dry, overground landscape, and a flooded, underwater ocean under the outer crust.

See the picture below for an example(Like before, taken from Wikipedia):

250px-Ceres_Cutaway.jpg

As per in the real world, the Galacticraft Ceres would have a dry outer layer composed of dusty stone and some of the Overworld ores - Iron, Steel and Tin - and a cold underwater layer composed of mostly water and ice and some other ores - Crystallite(Toolset, a tad stronger than Heavy Duty tools - 875 uses - but weaker than Diamond), Glowstone(in ORE form, not pure Glowstone blocks) and very rarely Diamonds. It also has a deep underground layer, but that layer is mostly useless.

The Overground's landscape is mostly composed of hills, plains and sometimes mountains. Like Mars, it is divided by several stone layers.
  • Ceres Surface Stone: Light gray stone, different layout than the Overworld Stone. Located usually at Layers 64 and 63.
  • Ceres Sub-Surface Stone: A bit darker stone that often houses a few Overground ores. Located usually at Layers 62, 61, 60, 59 and 58.
  • Ceres Surface Limit Stone: A dark stone that is the very limit of the Overground. Digging below it lies the Frosty Ocean. Lies usually at Layers 57 and 56.
(Key word: Usually. Mic, don't make the terrain a streamlined flat, please.)

The Overground recieves a light level of 13 during daytime, and a light level of 2 during nighttime, due to the lack of a moon. It also houses land-based monsters, which we will see later.

The Frosty Ocean is a very large cave system spanning everywhere under the Overground, but has icey stalactites and stalagmites to support the caves. The water also has a 'frostier' look to it. Here are all of it's layers:
  • Ceres Upper Ice: Grayish ice. It is very thick and doesn't melts. In fact, it is so thick it needs at least a Heavy Duty pickaxe in order to destroy it at 15 seconds. Any other tool takes 40 seconds.
  • Ceres Upper-Mid Ice: Grayish-blue ice, below the Upper Ice. It covers the Frosty Ocean's ceiling, and half of the stalactites. Glowstone and Crystallite grows here.
  • Ceres Lower-Mid Ice: Bluish-yellow ice. It begins from the middle of stalagmites, touching the Upper-Mid ice, and extends to the ocean floor. Crystallite and rarely Diamonds grow here.
  • Ceres Lower Ice: Yellowish ice. Like the Upper Ice, it is located right under the Lower-Mid ice, and needs a Heavy-Duty pickaxe to destroy it.
  • Ceres Underground Stone: A yellowish stone that fills the rocky layer

The Mobs
Alright, now we move on to the mobs. That's right, there's going to be unique mobs to Ceres. The current spacey mobs we got will still reside in it, but they will be accompanied by other mobs.

Overground Mobs:
Cryo - Hostile
Appearance: A cube of blue, frosty-looking fire(actually it's mutated ice) with a pair of white eyes.
Health: Six hearts
Method of Attack: Turns large for a second, then spews three smaller versions of it that wander around for three seconds, and eventually ram into you. This attack has a chance of giving you slowness at Normal and Hard difficulties.

Frostling - Neutral(They act just like Wolves - attack one, the entire flock goes after you)
Appearance: A large turtle-like mob with six legs. The shell has ice shards growing on them that protects them from damage.
Health: Twelve hearts
Method of Attack: They charge at you, and are able to spawn Cryos on Hard difficulty to attack you.

Snider - Passive(They spawn very rarely.)
Appearance: A white spider with teal eyes. They're smaller than even a Cave Spider.
Health: Eleven hearts
Behavior: They spawn very rarely, and they burrow into the ground if attacked, so you have to kill them in one hit to get their drops.

Underwater Mobs:
Sealite - Hostile
Appearance: Just like a real life seal, but colored white, and has an icey tail.
Health: Fifteen hearts
Method of Attack: They swim towards you and tackle you. They may also smack you with their tail, either temporarily freezing you or knocking you away at high speeds.

Fish - Passive
Appearance: Normal fish, but with 'frosty' themed skins.
Health: Four hearts
Behavior: Like normal Squids.

Octopi - Passive
Appearance: White Squids, with more and longer tentacles.
Health: Thirteen hearts
Behavior: Like Squids, they swim peacefully around, but if they're attacked or feel threatened, they will squirt ink at the agressor, temporarily blinding him.

SecuriBot - Hostile
Appearance: Robots fitted with an ion thruster to aid in swimming.
Health: Sixteen hearts
Method of attack: They will fire plasma rings at you, which work like arrows, but are unnaffected by water or lack of gravity physics.

Mega Octopi - Hostile
Appearance: Obviously a giant Octopi, but this one's Pink colored instead.
Health: Infinite...he can't be defeated.
Behavior: Before you comment about the Mega Octopi, please read further on. He won't be a common enemy, nor a 'boss', rather he will be some sort of a 'NPC' required for getting the Tier 3 Rocket schematic. He only spawns at Ruined Colonies, which we will see in the following section.

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
Ruined Colonies

Unlike the Moon and Mars, Ceres would use a different structure instead of Dungeons to get the schematic for the Tier 3 Rocket. Let's have a bit of Lore in here:

A long time ago, before you even spawned in the Overworld, there was an alien civilization consisting of Fish-like creatures thriving at Ceres' underwater layer. Making cities across the landscape, they had made a thriving colony in the frosty dwarf planet.

However, one day, they decided to perform experiments on a few Octopi living in there. As you probably expect, the experiment went terribly wrong, and the Octopi grew huge and began to trash their colonies. With one Octopi dominating over one colony, none of the intelligent Fish survived the attack.

"How is that revelant to the game?", you may ask. Well, simple. These Fish happened to possess several schematics in their colonies, one of them being the Tier 3 Rocket schematic you're looking for. It is not until you get into the colonies that you'll realize what happened.

A fish that happened to survive the attack witnessed the Mega Octopis trashing the cities and eating the colonists, they ended up eating the schematics as well. Said fish left a note for those who seek the schematics in a book, and stored it in a chest in the same room that used to possess the schematic, and began to wander across Ceres' underwater layer aimlessy...at least until he became Mega Octopi supper.

So, in other words, you have to let yourself get eaten by the Mega Octopi who resides in the destroyed colonies, while avoiding all the SecuriBots.

Inside the Mega Octopi

When you get eaten by the Mega Octopi, you will be sent into a sub-dimension that always generates a specific structure, which is obviously the Mega Octopi's digestive system. They're consisted of a new block that consists of the 'flesh'. It cannot be destroyed in Survival mode.

The insides are naturally very dark, so be sure to take in some Glowstone Torches or other light systems. Another thing is that, being inside another creature, the insides will have oxygen, so feel free to take your oxygen gear off, at least as long as you're inside the Mega Octopi.

When you first get eaten, you will notice that the Mega Octopi does not has a normal digestive system. You'll be descending gently across a vertical shaft, only not rapidly falling due to the low gravity. When you reach the floor, there will be a two block high water layer, and another tunnel that will lead downwards. If you fall through it, you will be 'shat out'. In other words, you will reappear in the outskirts of the destroyed colony, as if the Mega Octopi went out there and shat you out.

On the opposite side of the previous tunnel is yet another tunnel, but this one leads you further into the digestive system. You will go through several of the Mega Octopi's organs until you can find the eaten schematic chest, located in it's heart(as odd as it sounds). In that same room, there is the same vertical shaft in the beginning that you can use to leave the body, so you don't have to go all the way back.

And don't think the insides will be devoid of life. There will be a couple of skeletons from the poor souls that were eaten and didn't managed to get out in time, alongside other monsters who reside within the giant Octopi. Most of them will be hostile.

Annnd, that's it for the ideas for Ceres. What do you think about it? :)

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
WOW! What a trip dude!

I enjoyed (uh?) your post. My only complain is Ceres would be way more sophisticated than the other previous planets.

Aug 26, 2013
After I finish the 2nd part of my screenshot theard, you could go to ceres in the asteroid ring based on that suggestion... Really nice, but I don't like the idea of a tier 2.5 rocket. I would go to the asteroid ring by the tier3 missile found in Mars, or a tier2 missile, launched from Mars. Also: JUPITER FIRST ^.^ Still it could be nice to find the tier4 misile or any weapon in the octopus. The tier4 instead of 3 cause that would be 100% alien technology, using the jupiter's H2 as fuel, but you know the tier3 is for getting to jupiter. Still the others are nice! GJ!

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
WOW! What a trip dude!

I enjoyed (uh?) your post. My only complain is Ceres would be way more sophisticated than the other previous planets.

Well, yeah, I agree, given how Ceres has three areas you can explore(the overground, the huge water-ice layer, and inside the Mega Octopis), but Mars and possibly the Moon are still under development, so they might get way more content than Ceres.

After I finish the 2nd part of my screenshot theard, you could go to ceres in the asteroid ring based on that suggestion... Really nice, but I don't like the idea of a tier 2.5 rocket. I would go to the asteroid ring by the tier3 missile found in Mars, or a tier2 missile, launched from Mars. Also: JUPITER FIRST ^.^ Still it could be nice to find the tier4 misile or any weapon in the octopus. The tier4 instead of 3 cause that would be 100% alien technology, using the jupiter's H2 as fuel, but you know the tier3 is for getting to jupiter. Still the others are nice! GJ!

Technically, Ceres comes before Jupiter, so it wouldn't make much sense to have a Tier 3 rocket be able to get to Jupiter but can't get to Ceres.

The reason I used Tier 2.5 instead of 3 is that a Tier that the only upgrade is to be able to access a dwarf planet doesn't seems much of a Tier, so I just went with a modified rocket. But I like the idea of using Jupiter's H2 as fuel, it just can't exactly work out in this idea as Ceres comes before Jupiter.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
That's a lot of stuffs, but it was a blast reading it! Ceres is quite an overlooked celestial body in general, so its good seeing it being suggested.

How the player is going to get to Ceres is indeed something that can be considered. Perhaps it could be one type of world requiring to be discovered somehow before becoming accessible to the player? Studying some alien artifact or passing a certain milestone in the game could be one way of revealing Ceres. I've been thinking of a similar concept about Jupiter's (as well as the other gas giants') moons being undiscovered by default.

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
That's a lot of stuffs, but it was a blast reading it! Ceres is quite an overlooked celestial body in general, so its good seeing it being suggested.

How the player is going to get to Ceres is indeed something that can be considered. Perhaps it could be one type of world requiring to be discovered somehow before becoming accessible to the player? Studying some alien artifact or passing a certain milestone in the game could be one way of revealing Ceres. I've been thinking of a similar concept about Jupiter's (as well as the other gas giants') moons being undiscovered by default.

Thanks!

And the idea of getting to Ceres is quite interesting. As you said, it's quite an overlooked celestial object, so the player would likely not see Ceres until they find an alien artifact in another planet, such as Venus, that points out the location of the dwarf planet starring in this thread. It would be basically an item that, if you right click it, will make one of the hidden planets accessable.

Here's a list of possible artifact locations and what (dwarf)planets/moons they unlock:

Venus: Ceres
Mercury: Jupiter's Ganymede and Europa
Ceres: Jupiter's Io and Callisto
Jupiter's four Gallilean moons: Saturn's Titan and Enceladus
Saturn's two acessable moons: Uranus' Oberon and Titania

And so on.

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
Finally, an awesome suggestion!!!

Thanks, I've put a lot of time into it to post it, so it's good to see that it's getting positive feedback.

And if there's something wrong with it, then all that is needed is constructive criticism to point that out, and then I fix it!

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
Thanks, I've put a lot of time into it to post it, so it's good to see that it's getting positive feedback.

And if there's something wrong with it, then all that is needed is constructive criticism to point that out, and then I fix it!
It's a very cool post, it would be awesome to find a cave with a underground lake on Ceres!

darkthought

Dec 7, 2013
I think the Teir 2 Rocket should be able to reach Ceres. If you're unfamiliar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceres_(dwarf_planet)

It could be a stopping point between Teir 2 and 3 rockets, if tier 3 uses rockets. It's largely unknown, so Micdoodle8 or whomever could have plenty of fun with it. It could also be limited in size, since it is smaller than the Moon.

I would suggest that this would be the maximum limit of the Teir 2 rocket, and likewise, any further exploration would be required to be launched from here. The distances between planets past the asteroid belt get rather huge, when compared to the inner 4 planets, and their Satellites.

livid

Sep 16, 2013
it's a good idea; i would prefer ceres as next planet

but seems that the nextone will be europa; jupiter's moon

Reactions: wolfboyft

Zachecho

Dec 2, 2013
Nice idea to have a dwarf planet in the solar system but most people are going to come here and say we want imaginary planets Bla bla bla

very very in-dept idea i wish micdoodle could work on this

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gil

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Nice idea to have a dwarf planet in the solar system but most people are going to come here and say we want imaginary planets Bla bla bla

I would much prefer to have things as realistic as possible including planets. I have just come to terms with the fact that many people say Micdoodle8 never planned to make it realistic. I say I'll just wait and see what he comes out with and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but if I got to choose I'd definitely pick realistic.