Add more to inside the rocket

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
You're already sitting inside the rocket.

cool-cat-in-a-box.jpg

... with some brain power, this is a tank.

Dex, please look on the bright side of life, things don't need to oscillate between extremes ^^. I didn't want a very sophisticated and over detailed rocket with buttons and blinking lights. What I could expect is a little more detail, as much as the NASA workbench and the buggy, to be able to sit and feel I'm inside of a spacecraft.

Have you ever played Traincraft?

pxXz7NYl.png

This is the inside of a high-speed train cockpit. No buttons and blinking lights.

Also Flan's mod vehicles follow the same scheme. They could be just a box with wheels or wings just for sake of "why need more? all you need is to go places with WASD", but they have minimal visual elements that suggest you are there, inside the vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: OpelSpeedster

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
cool-cat-in-a-box.jpg

Dex, please look on the bright side of life, things don't need to oscillate between extremes ^^. I didn't want a very sophisticated and over detailed rocket with buttons and blinking lights. What I could expect is a little more detail, as much as the NASA workbench and the buggy, to be able to sit and feel I'm inside of a spacecraft.

pxXz7NYl.png

This is the inside of a high-speed train cockpit. No buttons and blinking lights.

Also Flan's mod vehicles follow the same scheme. They could be just a box with wheels or wings just for sake of "why need more? all you need is to go places with WASD", but they have minimal visual elements that suggest you are there, inside the vehicle.

I don't know if you noticed, but I agreed before you even posted.

If you're in first person view, I'm all for adding buttons in levers and stuff inside that you can look around at.

Hey wouldja look at that. I don't know what you're excepting that I don't seem to be agreeing with.

Hmm... Maybe it would be more intresting if the planet selection gui was at y=1500

I don't see the point, but ok. That might be something that could be configurable in the config file.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
A bit more details inside the rocket sure wouldn't hurt. In a way the simplicity has its own charm, but since it appears micdoodle has gone from models basically made of blocks to sloped low-poly models (with the moon buggy serving as a good example), I guess the rocket has the chance of getting an overhaul as well. It would make sense if micdoodle is going to accommodate the scale of the rocket according to the currently featured lunar lander, as he has afterall planned on implementing spacecrafts that can be customized. Right now the rockets are more of a man-sized Wallace & Gromit styled SSTO direct-ascent lunar lander.

So perhaps in the future of Galacticraft we might be given the immersive element of being in a somewhat horizontal seat in a space suit, having the view of a control panel infront with a little window on the crew hatch next to you.

Benoni

Oct 20, 2013
cool-cat-in-a-box.jpg

pxXz7NYl.png

images

Marvdizzle

Nov 10, 2014
As an apology first and foremost before I post, after reading this, I was forwarded here by way of the (recommended) tag. If I'm posting in the wrong area, or if I misread anything, I apologize feel free to delete and lock or what-have-you. That said -

After reading through this thread, others, and through my own "brainstorming" perhaps a happy medium could be found by using an instanced spaceship instead of a 'flansmod/traincraft/archimedes' type mechanic. Perhaps something akin to 'dimensional doors' would be the best resolution if something like this were to be implemented/considered - player enters other dimension through a specific "hangar door" (assigned to random dimension #), player designs their spacecraft in a large "hangar area" where the sky cannot be seen, and the hangar blocks should be unbreakable. This allows customization of spaceships that players want, and doesn't present any real technical issues that I can see.

Now, as far as showing the spacecraft taking off, perhaps the hangar blocks could disappear and reveal the sky (or orbit) of the planet (or asteroid field) the player is currently at. The sky could fade into the target atmosphere over time (example: overworld -> thin atmosphere -> space (like how it currently displays, with single rockets), perhaps longer or shorter duration depending on the strength of the engine (multiblock perhaps?). Launch sequence could also be controlled via the new display panels or something of the sort.

The "hangar door" could be linked with a Frequency Module perhaps to each planet's "hangar door" so the hangar knows where to spit the player out at.

If the player doesn't use their ship to get to another planet -

- Player uses spaceship to get from overworld to mars
- Player decides to use rocket (or teleportation device (ic2/mystcraft etc.) to return to overworld (or elsewhere)
- Player goes into their hangar on overworld to travel back to mars
- Ship is still on mars, and so the hangar door they used on overworld takes them to an "empty hangar" dimension that can't be built in.

Just trying to troubleshoot my own idea.

Anyway, I was just thinking of a plausible solution to this issue.

This is my first post and again, I apologize if I'm in the wrong area. Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Awesome first post. Those are some well-thought out ideas, it might be possible.

Marvdizzle

Nov 10, 2014
Awesome first post. Those are some well-thought out ideas, it might be possible.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. I'm also relieved that I didn't post in the wrong place, haha. I hope to tidy things up in a bit now that I'm familiar with the forum formatting. Hopefully it'll be a bit easier to read. Might add a bit of my vision to how I could see technical limitations worked around. Thanks again!

PurGamingCEO

Mar 9, 2015
Panels with somethimg that lools kinda like a HID in a fighter jet or display screens as seen in the Apollo missions. Also, thanks Micdoodle for the display screens.:)

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Panels with somethimg that lools kinda like a HID in a fighter jet or display screens as seen in the Apollo missions.

HID like in human interface device? The Apollo Command Module had loads of buttons/toggles, a couple of joysticks, and of course the AGC for assisting with control and navigation.

Also, thanks Micdoodle for the display screens.:)

lol poor radfast isn't recognized for what he's created.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I am giving serious consideration to adding a "panel of control switches" block in Galacticraft. It should look something like this: (you'll need another mod to provide the pipe)

article-1252186-085E2F40000005DC-642_468x286.jpg

Reactions: Ezer'Arch
Mar 8, 2015
Actually walking inside the rocket is fine and maybe you could just put like basic things like basic equipment for it

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Actually walking inside the rocket is fine and maybe you could just put like basic things like basic equipment for it

During flight astronauts are strapped into their seats and don't walk around. Even if they weren't too busy trying not to die, the g-force applied to the body would probably make it uncomfortable/dangerous to walk around.

Mar 8, 2015
Oh yeah, now one question in future updates will there be a possibility that the rocket's travel will be a bit long and you can walk and interact with it?