Hypothermia, Moon Module; You own HQ and a Space Suit

Nacho99

Jul 15, 2013
The space suit will save you of the hypothermia, like the real astronauts (with a deadline), and use the Moon Module like your HQ, with oxygen storage, electric storage, and enought heat to save you of the hypothermia, I hope I've been said all the thread with a good english, I'm yet learning it, I don't use traslate, thanks.

Nacho99

Jul 15, 2013
the "thing" appear when you arrive to the Moon (I called it "Moon Module") will be the HQ of the player, the Moon Module will have a Oxygen Storage and Energy Storage, in the Moon Module the hypothermia will not work, there you are save of the hypothermia, you have oxygen and energy (works with a big battery, I think it can be maked with batteries) and it can be recharged, now you understand?

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
the "thing" appear when you arrive to the Moon (I called it "Moon Module") will be the HQ of the player, the Moon Module will have a Oxygen Storage and Energy Storage, in the Moon Module the hypothermia will not work, there you are save of the hypothermia, you have oxygen and energy (works with a big battery, I think it can be maked with batteries) and it can be recharged, now you understand?

yeah, but my question still stands. Why? Most people will build a base on the moon or other planets, so something like this isn't really needed. As far as I remember, there's already storage space in the lander. You can fill it with extra oxygen and batteries you would need while building your base.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I don't understand the part about using the moon module as your HQ. Can't you already do that or build a base on the moon?
In fact it's something simple (kind of so-so implementing). The moon module can be used as a temporary base-shelter.

It would require:

1) The moon module model needs to be hollowed to have an inside, a cockpit, like the vehicles from Traincraft and Flan's mod.
2) Allow the player to hop in, like the rocket.
3) Have its own [limited] oxygen [and energy] supply. While the player is inside, he can breath and is protected from outside.
4) Get new functionalities. The F-key GUI can have not only the fuel control but also a small panel with oxygen level/sealer, radio and whatnot.

yeah, but my question still stands. Why? Most people will build a base on the moon or other planets, so something like this isn't really needed.
Why didn't NASA build a base on the Moon when the first man has put the foot there? It was sort of a temporary mission. The moon module was a temp base. One day they will send people to build a permanent base there. The same logic can also be applied to Galacticraft.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
In fact it's something simple (kind of so-so implementing). The moon module can be used as a temporary base-shelter.

It would require:

1) The moon module model needs to be hollowed to have an inside, a cockpit, like the vehicles from Traincraft and Flan's mod.
2) Allow the player to hop in, like the rocket.
3) Have its own oxygen supply. While the player is inside, he can breath and is protected from outside.
4) Get new functionalities. The F-key GUI can have not only the fuel control but also a small panel with oxygen level/sealer, radio and whatnot.

Why didn't NASA build a base on the Moon when the first man has put the foot there? It was sort of a temporary mission. The moon module was a temp base. One day they will send people to build a permanent base there. The same logic can also be applied to Galacticraft.

Yeah and this is Minecraft. Whether NASA did or didn't do anything has no bearings on this.

Last time I had time to get on Minecraft, you were already able to get in and out of the lander and be protected. So there you go, that's already done.

It's already got storage, so there's your extra oxygen and batteries.

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
I think it's best to have a climate regulator, it saves you form suffering hypothermia.
(Spelled it right the first time :cool:)

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Spacesuits would fit into Galacticraft for sure. Aside from there is a possible reason for wearing those, many would also love wearing those merely for the sake of immersion.

I think any lander modules could potentially serve as a temporary base-shelter until the player has built a self-sustaining home. Instead of having like a ton of spare batteries and oxygen canisters stored, it sounds more convenient the player can just enter the module and refill/recharge his equipments through the lander's life-support. Possibly could more advanced lander modules also feature an integrated cryogenic chamber that allows players to skip the particular long nights some planets have.

Last time I had time to get on Minecraft, you were already able to get in and out of the lander and be protected. So there you go, that's already done..

If only the latter was actually true... :(

Reactions: Twylite Fang

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth

Wearing what? Lunar Landers? I don't understand your "aha!" seeing as the OP is talking about the lunar lander, you're talking about the lunar lander, and I'm talking about the lunar lander, then viking talks about space suits, and you "aha!" as if your point was made.

There's already a thread about space suits, and I suggested that a set or armor can be made instead of everyone's custom skin suggestions, so AHA to you.

Still doesn't change the fact that the OP's talking about the lunar module. You can already go in and out of it as you please. Whether it protects you from mobs or not I'm not sure anymore. That would be an easy change I think. I also don't think it should be an infinite source of air and power.

It also doesn't change the fact that it doesn't matter what NASA has or hasn't done. NASA never landed a human anywhere other than the moon, so players shouldn't be able to go anywhere but the moon.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Wearing what? Lunar Landers?
By the same reason I would love wearing a spacesuit -- merely for the sake of immersion---, I also would love to have a lander that can be used as temp base -- merely for the sake of immersion, just because we have NASA and its first manned mission to the moon as reference, not only because things are useful or needed or just because they need to have an objective "why".

Last edited:

Nacho99

Jul 15, 2013
Wearing what? Lunar Landers? I don't understand your "aha!" seeing as the OP is talking about the lunar lander, you're talking about the lunar lander, and I'm talking about the lunar lander, then viking talks about space suits, and you "aha!" as if your point was made.

There's already a thread about space suits, and I suggested that a set or armor can be made instead of everyone's custom skin suggestions, so AHA to you.

Still doesn't change the fact that the OP's talking about the lunar module. You can already go in and out of it as you please. Whether it protects you from mobs or not I'm not sure anymore. That would be an easy change I think. I also don't think it should be an infinite source of air and power.

It also doesn't change the fact that it doesn't matter what NASA has or hasn't done. NASA never landed a human anywhere other than the moon, so players shouldn't be able to go anywhere but the moon.

who said the lunar module will be an infinite source of air and power? I said that power and air can be recharged, I don't said that will be infinite.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013

Actually, the OP wasn't just only talking about lunar modules, but also the implementation of space suits as well. Eitherway, the idea about the lander is it can temporary serve as a battery pack/oxygen tank combo that can easily be accessed and read on lander's already featured GUI. Although, you can't actually reenter the lander as of yet.

On the other hand, why should the player be unable to breath on the moon if this is just Minecraft? Real-life inspired elements isn't just something used to restrict gameplay, it's a viable complement to the creation of new interesting dynamics and challenges not offered by vanilla Minecraft. However, the point isn't really about what NASA could and could not do, but that the player can be offered a temporary safe-house before he's been able to setup a more permanent base. This can be especially useful for inexperienced players who are still familiarizing with Galacticraft.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
On the other hand, why should the player be unable to breath on the moon if this is just Minecraft?
Aha!

.... okay, I'll stop. :x

Real-life inspired elements isn't just something used to restrict gameplay, it's a viable complement to the creation of new interesting dynamics and challenges not offered by vanilla Minecraft. However, the point isn't really about what NASA could and could not do, but that the player can be offered a temporary safe-house before he's been able to setup a more permanent base. This can be especially useful for inexperienced players who are still familiarizing with Galacticraft.
I like you. I like your way of thinking.

You gave an objective reason to have a better moon lander as to its functionalities or role in the game besides a subjective reason such as immersion.

Frankly this idea is not as bad as a landable Jupiter or a black hole in the solar system. ;)

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
I like this idea. It'd make for a nice temporary base until I build a proper base or I finish doing what I was doing on the Moon.

Could this also be incorporated into Mars?

I like you.

...in a non-homosexual manner.

Sorry, had to say this. :B

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
On the other hand, why should the player be unable to breath on the moon if this is just Minecraft? Real-life inspired elements isn't just something used to restrict gameplay, it's a viable complement to the creation of new interesting dynamics and challenges not offered by vanilla Minecraft. However, the point isn't really about what NASA could and could not do, but that the player can be offered a temporary safe-house before he's been able to setup a more permanent base. This can be especially useful for inexperienced players who are still familiarizing with Galacticraft.

Well because they were ill prepared. That lander is there so you can take off again.

Also a lander offering unlimited oxygen and power isn't a temporary shelter. It turns it into a crutch. Why prepare for something like you have to do with almost every other mod out there when the lander will provide you with oxygen refills as needed?

If you didn't pack enough supplies for your journey, you either have to come back or in this case possibly die. Sorry. That's how games are. There's challenges you have to overcome. Turning the lander into a soda machine at a fast food restaurant (unlimited refills) takes away the challenge the mod was made to have in the first place. The rockets/lander already have cargo space for you to be able to pack extra stuff.

This can be especially useful for inexperienced players who are still familiarizing with Galacticraft.

There's creative mode.

Reactions: Ulv77

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Well because they were ill prepared. That lander is there so you can take off again.

Also a lander offering unlimited oxygen and power isn't a temporary shelter. It turns it into a crutch. Why prepare for something like you have to do with almost every other mod out there when the lander will provide you with oxygen refills as needed?

If you didn't pack enough supplies for your journey, you either have to come back or in this case possibly die. Sorry. That's how games are. There's challenges you have to overcome. Turning the lander into a soda machine at a fast food restaurant (unlimited refills) takes away the challenge the mod was made to have in the first place. The rockets/lander already have cargo space for you to be able to pack extra stuff.

There's creative mode.

I very much agree.

I don't think this is an absolutely terrible idea, but there is one thing that gets me. If this existed I thinks it's pretty safe to say that it wouldn't be a "free" component. Where would this HQ thing come from? It wouldn't just appear out of thin air so you would need materials to build it, yes? I figure something like the first time you make a Space Station. It would likely require an Energy Storage Module, an Oxygen Storage Module and some raw materials like tin and steel. But if you already have the materials, why not just bring them with you and build a very small, self-sufficient, temporary shelter yourself until you build whatever your end goal might be?

The point being: I don't think it's necessary because you could effectively already do this, you just have to construct it manually. That is why Minecraft exists...to build things.

Last edited:

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I very much agree.

I don't think this is an absolutely terrible idea, but there is one thing that gets me. If this existed I thinks it's pretty safe to say that it wouldn't be a "free" component. Where would this HQ thing come from? It wouldn't just appear out of thin air so you would need materials to build it, yes? I figure something like the first time you make a Space Station. It would likely require an Energy Storage Module, and Oxygen Storage Module and some raw materials like tin and steel. But if you already have the materials, why not just bring them with you and build a very small, self-sufficient, temporary shelter yourself until you build whatever your end goal might be?

The point being: I don't think it's necessary because you could effectively already do this, you just have to construct it manually. That is why Minecraft exists...to build things.

Ender chests + buildcraft make it even easier to do.

Fill tanks, pump full tanks into enderchest.

Put empty tanks in enderchests, pump empties back to be filled.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I do like the idea of temperature being a potential obstacle to have to worry about though!

I was never against that. Although I think the lack of oxygen is a bigger and more important one. There is such thing as too many obstacles. Solar flares and radiation are also huge problems, but I don't want GC to turn into a simulator either.