General Newbie Questions

icmp_request

Dec 10, 2013
Hello! I'm quite new to Mods in Minecraft and I really wish to try Galacticraft.

I have just a couple of questions that I would much appreciate if anyone could reply:

1. How stable is Galacticraft in SINGLE PLAYER? I've seen many bugs regarding Multiplayer, but I'd like to know if the latest version already stable enough for me to try from scratch (Survival - No Cheats) or if it's better to use "gamemode" to not get frustrated for many days playing and eventually finding a game-breaking bug.

2. Could I see Galacticraft as a "continuation" of a Standard Minecraft Survival Game? In other words, can I play Minecraft + Galacticraft just as I would play Default No-Mod Survival for some days before venturing to Space or it will change some aspects of the default "Earth" gameplay, except of course the new content that it provides?

3. Will future updates of Minecraft + Forge + Galacticraft possibly break anything I would do now, demanding that I start a new game from scratch?

Thanks SO MUCH for any replies! ;)

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
1. I would say version 2.0.6 is pretty dang stable for me. I don't think I personally have had any issues with it. There are a couple bugs with 2.0.7 (most recent) like electricity not flowing after you load your save until you remove a wire and place it back where it was. A few people have reported this and I've seen it on mine as well so I went back to 2.0.6 for now. Wearing the Sensor Glasses crashes my game on 2.0.7 as well (still need to report that).

2. On the Overworld, just about the only difference you will see is the addition of oil fields and a few new ores plus the new items and machines of course. It plays just like default vanilla Minecraft so it won't get in the way of anything. You could even keep any old world you already have and add Galacticraft. You would just have to travel to undiscovered areas to find the new ores and oil and such.

3. There is no way to see into the future, but I've been under the impression that Galacticraft only gets updated once there is a stable Forge update as well so I would say they SHOULDN'T break anything. Only time will tell :)

Reactions: icmp_request

icmp_request

Dec 10, 2013
1. I would say version 2.0.6 is pretty dang stable for me. I don't think I personally have had any issues with it. There are a couple bugs with 2.0.7 (most recent) like electricity not flowing after you load your save until you remove a wire and place it back where it was. A few people have reported this and I've seen it on mine as well so I went back to 2.0.6 for now. Wearing the Sensor Glasses crashes my game on 2.0.7 as well (still need to report that).

2. On the Overworld, just about the only difference you will see is the addition of oil fields and a few new ores plus the new items and machines of course. It plays just like default vanilla Minecraft so it won't get in the way of anything. You could even keep any old world you already have and add Galacticraft. You would just have to travel to undiscovered areas to find the new ores and oil and such.

3. There is no way to see into the future, but I've been under the impression that Galacticraft only gets updated once there is a stable Forge update as well so I would say they SHOULDN'T break anything. Only time will tell :)

Thanks so much for the answers! =)

So the bugs unfixed from using the previous version that were fixed in 2.0.7 are less or less destructive than the ones introduced on the new version? I like to favor stability over new content.

I think my point at 3.. is e.g. you changed from 2.0.6 to 2.0.7 and then back to 2.0.6, it didn't break anything or had any odd effect in-game, assuming you haven't started a new one from scratch between the changes?

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Thanks so much for the answers! =)

So the bugs unfixed from using the previous version that were fixed in 2.0.7 are less or less destructive than the ones introduced on the new version? I like to favor stability over new content.

I think my point at 3.. is e.g. you changed from 2.0.6 to 2.0.7 and then back to 2.0.6, it didn't break anything or had any odd effect in-game, assuming you haven't started a new one from scratch between the changes?

I would say stick to 2.0.6 for now because in my experience so far 2.0.7 isn't worth the update...YET. A big reason why I even reverted to the previous version at all is because in 2.0.7 I put on the Sensor Glasses and it crashed my game, but I was still wearing them so it would just crash immediately after loading every time. I had to revert back just to be able to load the map and take them off (although they still work fine after reverting).

I see what you're saying now. I updated and then went back and yes, it kind of messed up some textures very slightly for the rocket, the moon buggy, and I think one or two other things, but everything is still there and functions correctly as far as I can tell. It did still have the electrical issue after loading the first time since reverting back to 2.0.6, but only that first time. Now everything works fine every time I load the map. So that's why I would say hold on a bit instead of getting the newest version and then going back like I did.

Hope that better answers your questions

IceClimber11

Aug 30, 2013
The Matrix
www.IceClimber11.tk

+1 What I was going to say. Once you add galaticraft try qCraft :D

Last edited:

icmp_request

Dec 10, 2013
Thanks A LOT for all the info! :)

If it weren't for you, I would have gone straight for 2.0.7. Anyway, I'm kinda prepared for bugs as I have a script that automatically back-ups all my minecraft data when I use it to open the launcher. But as little as I could read from the wiki these glasses are really useful so there's no point in not being able to use them.

It's good to know that I can play some "Surviving and Thriving" as I would on default without rushing to space. I like the feeling/idea of slowly developing from a very nomad and primitive state until the "space age". That's why this mod gives me much the idea of a natural "continuation" for the default Minecraft and it's the first one ever that I've felt the need to give a try.

Best regards.

Reactions: Douglas_Fresh

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Thanks A LOT for all the info! :)

If it weren't for you, I would have gone straight for 2.0.7. Anyway, I'm kinda prepared for bugs as I have a script that automatically back-ups all my minecraft data when I use it to open the launcher. But as little as I could read from the wiki these glasses are really useful so there's no point in not being able to use them.

It's good to know that I can play some "Surviving and Thriving" as I would on default without rushing to space. I like the feeling/idea of slowly developing from a very nomad and primitive state until the "space age". That's why this mod gives me much the idea of a natural "continuation" for the default Minecraft and it's the first one ever that I've felt the need to give a try.

Best regards.

I can't believe there is finally someone else who likes to play that way. I just slowly build up my Overworld, progressing through the technologies instead of trying to get a rocket in the fastest way possible with the fewest steps. I focused on making my house and everything else just the way I want it making it safe, stable, and visually appealing. Only after everything is established THEN begin on making my way to space.

icmp_request

Dec 10, 2013
Yes, I like to explore and build small cottages in the best spots I can locate and relatively far away from each other... So I can experience different biomes and environments. I usually "specialize" them in one kind of farming and/or animal breeding. The only downside is that for the crops to grow, etc. I have to stay at each of them for some time.

I'm doing this in a new game I've created for Galacticraft yesterday and when I'm done with the cottages, maybe I can find some cool place in a desert to build a bigger structure with redstone power and launch capabilities ;)

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Yes, I like to explore and build small cottages in the best spots I can locate and relatively far away from each other... So I can experience different biomes and environments. I usually "specialize" them in one kind of farming and/or animal breeding. The only downside is that for the crops to grow, etc. I have to stay at each of them for some time.

I'm doing this in a new game I've created for Galacticraft yesterday and when I'm done with the cottages, maybe I can find some cool place in a desert to build a bigger structure with redstone power and launch capabilities ;)

Well if you haven't already found out about it, the newer Launch Controller from Galacticraft has an integrated chunk loader so I wonder if you could just use that to keep the crops growing. I've never tried it for that, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

About the Sensor Glasses: I used to think they were a bit cheaty...until I used them. They can be very helpful, but they only detect up to 5 blocks away so it's not like x-ray vision or something where you can find anything within visual distance so I like using them afterall.