New vehicle: Submarines

Luchilucky99

Mar 10, 2013
hi Micdoodle8 :)
you may add new vehicles, for example, you can add a submarine to explore the planets with water.

P.S: sorry for the translation

Jeron L

Mar 10, 2013
Pretty good idea. Alternatively, go the whole way, and make a meltprobe which the player can get into. Basically what it is, is a small submarine that melts itself through the ice, equipped with lights etc. to keep sight at all times. Then, when you break through the ice, it is used as the primary means of transportation down below.

One way in which it could conceivably be customized is to have the downwards channel it digs to be basically perfect - it's just going directly down - and that it leaves (suitably space-themed) stairs behind so that a player can climb out through the hole that was used to enter. I'm not sure if that's possible, but it would be quite similar to actual plans for exploring Europa or other icy moons with subsurface oceans.

Also, yeah, probably should invent some new mobs from below Europa's ice at some point. If Mars has life on it, then Europa can't not have it, it's an even better place to go look. :p

Jeron L

Mar 10, 2013
Well, there's icy moons with liquid oceans under them, it does make a certain amount of sense if you want to include any kind of exploration of those. ;)

It's similar to why there's a 'car' in the mod, too. Moon buggies just kinda make sense because you're exploring a barren world and you want to get around fast, and the concept is well-established in the real space program. (I would say that the Europa meltprobe/submarine drone is similarly been considered enough. Heck, you could have a little boat for Titan, given that there's plans to place precisely such a thing in its liquid methane oceans.)

Jeron L

Mar 10, 2013
Well, that is true, indeed. But, submarines in space? xD

Crazy as it sounds - it's actually a project that's been suggested before, but NASA hasn't put enough funding into it as yet, since the technology isn't there yet right now. Don't worry, though.

It would be a space submarine. :p

Jeron L

Mar 10, 2013
Europa has an ocean underneath the hundred-mile-thick ice. Neptune/Uranus have been proposed to have oceans deep under the atmosphere.

I can't imagine the kind of ludicrous pressures on those gas planets, though. Sheesh. Perhaps those could be high-end challenge of sorts, requiring some heavy-duty materials just to go there to collect stuff. :p

Really, the gas giant seem to me to be less useful for a mod like this, unless you're basically building orbital bases above the clouds to siphon off gasses or whatnot. (Which would actually be pretty neat...)

But, each of the various gas giants has a set of pretty amazing moons, including the ones with subsurface oeans like Europa and Enceladus, and it seems the yogscast build already had a number of them, so I'm imagining we'll see those at some point.

Dunewolfz

He-who-has-no-morals-or-sense-of-logic.
Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
I can't imagine the kind of ludicrous pressures on those gas planets, though. Sheesh. Perhaps those could be high-end challenge of sorts, requiring some heavy-duty materials just to go there to collect stuff. :p
Try Jupiter's metallic Hydrogen oceans. The pressure gets so high that if you were to drop a canister of hydrogen gas it would turn into this liquidy-metal almost instantly. The Deepsea Challenger would last a whopping total of 12 seconds.

Really, the gas giant seem to me to be less useful for a mod like this, unless you're basically building orbital bases above the clouds to siphon off gasses or whatnot. (Which would actually be pretty neat...)

But, each of the various gas giants has a set of pretty amazing moons, including the ones with subsurface oeans like Europa and Enceladus, and it seems the yogscast build already had a number of them, so I'm imagining we'll see those at some point.
Half of them weren't available though, I believe the ones in red were still broken.

Last edited by a moderator:

flashman111

Feb 12, 2013
I think they just cant be visited because either its technically impossible (no surface) or they're just not implemented yet. And, I do realise there is water on other moons/planets, an submarine in space still seems kinda weird to me

flashman111

Feb 12, 2013
Well, on my huge-ass suggestion thread. I Suggested something like an "Hover-Engine" for gas giants, that could be used to fly around in them. It depends on the pressure though, to visit jupiter you would need carbon-reinforced plating (also in my huge-ass suggestion thread)

Dunewolfz

He-who-has-no-morals-or-sense-of-logic.
Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
I suggested having Balloon Jellies, which are rideable mobs. I totally didn't get that idea out of a 1980s Nat. Geo textbook, either. lol
I also came up with the idea of having islands made of the remnants of space probes and the like which are scattered around the metallic hydrogen ocean.

Mar 9, 2013
I support having different vehicle for exploring planets, but I think it would be cool if it was more like Tekkit, as in you have to create your own deploying systems and stuff rather than just crating something. In the future I think the vehicle should be self created, with engine and such slapped on the make them mobile.

Feb 20, 2015
Crafting Recipe(s):

Crafting Components:
16 Compressed Steel, 2 Heavy Rocket Fins, Oxygen Fan, Buggy Seat, 3 Glass Panes, Arc Lamp

Obtaining: The player uses the Submarine Schematic to unlock the GUI for crafting a Submarine

Purpose: The Submarine is a mode of underwater that allows the player to breathe and move faster underwater. The Submarine can also fire missiles that do 8 damage.

Usage: Submarines can only placed in liquid, to board the submarine, press use on it. To make the submarine go deeper, press the ‘backward’ key (‘S’ if you’re using default controls), the moving controls are the same as a boat. When in the submarine, several GUIs will appear in the corners of the screen; A fuel level bar and a slot (for fuel tanks) in the top right, your distance below sea level (in blocks), and the direction you’re currently traveling in. Pressing attack (click in default controls) while in the Submarine fires the missiles.