Planets: 3D galaxy map, eclipses, needing to use things to see galaxy map, finite planets.

Finite planets?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the galaxy map - positions of planets should really be something in this mod.

1. A 3D galaxy map.
This is required.
For the ideas like eclipses, of course.

2. Eclipses.
You can see the positions of planets in the sky, (using a telescope) and sometimes, the moon may cover up the sun. This causes one part of the planet to be cast into shadow. Staring straight at the sun like this gives you bad, bad blindness, if you don't look away quickly.

3. Needing to use things to see the galaxy map.
This might be a tracking station or something. Possibly you use a telescope, or some kind of satellite... in creative mode, nothing!

4. Finite planets. (Large, of course)
ESSENTIAL. Each planet/moon is of a different side size. The planets would (obviously) be cubes, with... possibly soft edges and corners, maybe diagonal wedges of blocks at each edge. Sharp edges would not be very nice when you walked over them, you would feel like you were falling over a cliff. Each corner and wedge... would be big-ish, enough for something like a house on the corner of the world. There would be poles, an equator etc. If you are wondering about this problem: some people may have their world further than the planet boundaries - no, they cannot, because there is a limit to minecraft worlds currently, its just not a super-cool cube. I think that the current way worlds are generated on the large scale is NOT good. It isn't the lovely, neat large islands surrounded by water that it should be. At least that's what I thought I saw!
Of course, flying off a planet shows the cube below, as you come off that certain part on the map(s)! It would update periodically, e.g. if ever giant Inter Planetary Ballistic Missiles were added, you would fly off the planet, fleeing, while you see this huge missile come and blow the planet to bits. In the GUI it would say: 'Planet debris' or something. Of course, I am not suggesting these IPBMs, leave that to ICBM.
Bedrock would be dig-able, (just about) and going below the (thicker) layer of bedrock would see you fall into the MANTLE! Loads of lava, but of course, having all that as blocks is a waste of coding and stuff, (unless you want to have a base in the mantle :cool:) so going there, even in creative mode would be DEATH.

5. Flying duration
It would have to take time, the further your destination was from you. And consume more fuel.

6. Longer orbit times.
Firstly, as you may all agree, the time a celestial body takes to orbit would be correct, in the minecraft time scale. E.g. you have to wait 365.24 minecraft days to have a year. Same stuff for other planets. Obviously, you would not be able to sleep on another planet if not everyone is in bed on other planets.

7 - off topic
Beds on other planets (and other dimensions, for that matter) MUST not explode!

8. Change the minecraft time scale in config
I'd love to be able to make days 24hr, or some people may want to have 1 hr and all that.

9. Telescopes and astronomy
Uses the entire point of this thread, the planet positions stuff. All that is done is to see the planet icons zoomed in, except obviously use the finite planets' terrain image instead of the icons. THIS is where you discuss telescopes and astronomy, not rudely resurrect a deleted thread.

Last edited:

Zachecho

Dec 2, 2013
The galaxy map idea is nice, beds on other planets that explode was fixed with the chambers added in 1.6.4 longer orbit times would be nice and the finite planets is kinda hard to do but not really world the time eclipses would be AMAZING anyways nice suggestions

That's also a brilliant idea so players can have all their time to do their work on a planet during day then fly away before night but 6 hours would be decent 3 day 3 night

The reason this idea came into my head was:

Imagine yourself stuck in Minecraft. Each day is 14 minuetes (right?)

Not good. School is about 5 minuetes, and you are grown up from being a child in one day.

24h rocks!

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I don't understand why you keep posting the same suggestions over and over again. Seems like any time you come up with some idea you have to re-post 12 ideas you already posted with it. Also stop saying things are important or required. They might be to YOU, but the mod isn't about what's important to you. Unless your game is crashing because of it, stop labeling your stuff with importance.

I think the galaxy map - positions of planets should really be something in this mod.

1. A 3D galaxy map.
This is required. Do you know what the word required means? Doesn't seem like you do. Might be cool if done right, but it's in no way required. The current map functions perfectly fine.

2. Eclipses.
You can see the positions of planets in the sky, (using a telescope) and sometimes, the moon may cover up the sun. This causes one part of the planet to be cast into shadow. Staring straight at the sun like this gives you bad, bad blindness, if you don't look away quickly. Eclipses could be neat, but I don't like the blindness thing. Especially if it's permanent in anyway or something that lasts too long.

3. Needing to use things to see the galaxy map.
This might be a tracking station or something. Possibly you use a telescope, or some kind of satellite... in creative mode, nothing! This could be interesting. I think it's also important to be able to do something with the map. I don't quite know it's purpose other than just existing in the current versions. Maybe be able to make some kind of chart or pictures that you can hang on your wall using the light boxes from Open Blocks. Also maybe be able to use the tracking station to tell launch pads to launch when their targets are in a certain position or phase. Wouldn't make that huge of a difference since it mostly doesn't really matter where or what phase a body is in in Minecraft. Just something interesting to do.

4. Finite planets.
ESSENTIAL. Each planet/moon is of a different side size. The planets would (obviously) be cubes, with... possibly soft edges and corners, maybe diagonal wedges of blocks at each edge. Sharp edges would not be very nice when you walked over them, you would feel like you were falling over a cliff. Each corner and wedge... would be big-ish, enough for something like a house on the corner of the world. There would be poles, an equator etc. If you are wondering about this problem: some people may have their world further than the planet boundaries - no, they cannot, because there is a limit to minecraft worlds currently, its just not a super-cool cube. I think that the current way worlds are generated on the large scale is NOT good. It isn't the lovely, neat large islands surrounded by water that it should be. At least that's what I thought I saw!
Of course, flying off a planet shows the cube below, as you come off that certain part on the map(s)! It would update periodically, e.g. if ever giant Inter Planetary Ballistic Missiles were added, you would fly off the planet, fleeing, while you see this huge missile come and blow the planet to bits. In the GUI it would say: 'Planet debris' or something. Of course, I am not suggesting these IPBMs, leave that to ICBM.
Bedrock would be dig-able, (just about) and going below the (thicker) layer of bedrock would see you fall into the MANTLE! Loads of lava, but of course, having all that as blocks is a waste of coding and stuff, (unless you want to have a base in the mantle :cool:) so going there, even in creative mode would be DEATH. Didn't you already suggest finite planets? I agreed with you the first time, but said that what we know of what Minecraftian planets would be. They would be flat slabs, not cubes.

Something like this:

earth-flat-hd-Earth-Flat-HD.jpg

5. Flying duration
It would have to take time, the further your destination was from you. And consume more fuel. LET IT GO ALREADY!

6. Longer orbit times.
Firstly, as you may all agree, the time a celestial body takes to orbit would be correct, in the minecraft time scale. E.g. you have to wait 365.24 minecraft days to have a year. Same stuff for other planets. Obviously, you would not be able to sleep on another planet if not everyone is in bed on other planets. Since when does a minecraft year even exist or matter? I don't see the point in longer orbits. It's not like you're waiting for some kind of alignment to be able to launch. You launch whenever you want, and pick your destination from the GUI regardless of orbits, and no this shouldn't be changed either.

7 - off topic
Beds on other planets (and other dimensions, for that matter) MUST not explode!

8. Change the minecraft time scale in config
I'd love to be able to make days 24hr, or some people may want to have 1 hr and all that. This is a stupid idea. I don't think mods can change the time scale anyways. It's probably something that's hardcoded into minecraft. It would mess up tons of other mods anyways.

i

i also said like 2 million miles EVERY side sounds good?

You do realize that minecraft's current world isn't infinite either right?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2014
Sweden not really swedish im dutch
I don't understand why you keep posting the same suggestions over and over again. Seems like any time you come up with some idea you have to re-post 12 ideas you already posted with it. Also stop saying things are important or required. They might be to YOU, but the mod isn't about what's important to you. Unless your game is crashing because of it, stop labeling your stuff with importance.

You do realize that minecraft's current world isn't infinite either right?

lol ive seen that video AGES ago i webt to the farlands in almost all versions so yeaaaa... but peaple want a cube... like earth (i know earth is a sphere)

Status
Not open for further replies.