Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its great! :D

• Its stupid ;(

• Total voters

WhityWhit

Jan 29, 2014
Let me start by saying Galacticraft is a great mod. It adds space, the final frontier and every thing that comes with it. I love running around on the moon and looking for dungeons on mars. The mod is also often put into modpacks and is great because a factory on the earth is great, but a factory on the moon, I feel like a mastermind, a true tycoon.

But I often hear people say "The mod is cool and all, but there is no real gain for going to the moon or mars." Thats why I have made this post. My idea is that when you are in the map of the universe (the on when you chose what planet to go to) that has earth, the moon, mars and the sun, what If you also saw asteroids? These asteroids are large rocks (about the size of a village) which have a core of a solid ore. The idea I had, at this stage seemed broken, OP and made the game to easy so I worked on it and came up with this. What if these asteroids were on orbits, orbits that passed by the earth every once and awhile, meaning that you would only have about 3 minutes once you pulled your spaceship up next to the rock to harvest it. Depending on what ship you are using, there would be a circle on the map which is how far out your ship can carry you. Also its cool because unlike the only other place you are outside your ship in outer space, the space station, you could truly float around it. Your ship would not land, just pull up aside the rock. Perhaps the ship that can reach mars can also reach father, you could only go to them and get back to earth when your where every you are trying to go is in your circle. You could even go on extremely dangerous missions where you hop for asteroid to asteroid to get to one way out there, but you have even less time to get back to earth from it. Perhaps as well you can decide to stay on the rock for on whole orbit/rotation though the universe. Then there could also be large broken space ships, space wrecks and creepy space temples (Alien, anyone?) that acted like dungeons. They could have stories with them and dangerous mobs.

Thanks for reading and post what you think!

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
It might be true at the moment that there might not be much of a gain to getting to the moon or mars, but the mod is still pretty early in alpha.

Gotta tell those nay-sayers to be patient and awesome things will happen.

The mod has awesome potential and Micdoodle and his helpers are working hard, but the constant Minecraft updates are probably slowing them down. I'm guessing, but I think the mod would be a little (maybe a lot) further in it's development if the team didn't have to stop and update to a new minecraft version every few months. It seems to be what's killing a lot of mod developers out there.

They update, then minecraft comes out with a new version. Then either the new version breaks things in the mod, which means things have to be re-worked, or the new version breaks something in some other mod that's needed to run another mod, so that has to be fixed and the fix could cause a domino effect that messes up the dependent mods.

WhityWhit

Jan 29, 2014
It might be true at the moment that there might not be much of a gain to getting to the moon or mars, but the mod is still pretty early in alpha.

Gotta tell those nay-sayers to be patient and awesome things will happen.

The mod has awesome potential and Micdoodle and his helpers are working hard, but the constant Minecraft updates are probably slowing them down. I'm guessing, but I think the mod would be a little (maybe a lot) further in it's development if the team didn't have to stop and update to a new minecraft version every few months. It seems to be what's killing a lot of mod developers out there.

They update, then minecraft comes out with a new version. Then either the new version breaks things in the mod, which means things have to be re-worked, or the new version breaks something in some other mod that's needed to run another mod, so that has to be fixed and the fix could cause a domino effect that messes up the dependent mods.

It's more of an idea than anything, not like a fix but I definitely hear where your coming from. I just think t would be a cool way to mine, but maybe I'm wrong.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
what If you also saw asteroids?
Asteroids....

2014-01-13_02.24.27.png

Hell yeah: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.p...-asteroid-belt-amazing-ideas.2835/#post-21484

As to "orbits that passed by the earth every once and awhile": Asteroids could have sort of day-night cycle, or a "window", a period of time within an asteroid can be explored, mined etc, this is the "nighttime". Out of this "window", due to exposure to the Sun, the asteroid becomes unstable, breaks up, explodes in bits. To know when an asteroid is passing by and it's safe to go there, you could use satellites and telescopes as explained in the topic that was deleted, again. ^^'

Mod developers should agree they would stick to milestone versions, such as 1.7.1, 1.8.1, 1.9.1, and use it as base, instead of trying to catch up every minor update. It was talked about. I personally don't care if my mod pack is 1.6.4, while 1.8.1 is almost out. If I choose to play with mod packs it's because I was looking for different experiences other than vanilla's.

Reactions: Douglas_Fresh

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Mod developers should agree they would stick to milestone versions, such as 1.7.1, 1.8.1, 1.9.1, and use it as base, instead of trying to catch up every minor update. It was talked about. I personally don't care if my mod pack is 1.6.4, while 1.8.1 is almost out. If I choose to play with mod packs it's because I was looking for different experiences other than vanilla's.

I agree, but I also understand why mod authors wouldn't want to fall too far behind.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I also understand why mod authors wouldn't want to fall too far behind.
So do I. We still have important mods lagging behind in 1.4.7. The fact is that, if you focus only on the major updates, the developer will have less pressure. Instead of updating every month, they'd have 4 or 6 months to focus rather on the mod itself than on updating the code-base.

WhityWhit

Jan 29, 2014
Asteroids....

2014-01-13_02.24.27.png

Hell yeah: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.p...-asteroid-belt-amazing-ideas.2835/#post-21484

As to "orbits that passed by the earth every once and awhile": Asteroids could have sort of day-night cycle, or a "window", a period of time within an asteroid can be explored, mined etc, this is the "nighttime". Out of this "window", due to exposure to the Sun, the asteroid becomes unstable, breaks up, explodes in bits. To know when an asteroid is passing by and it's safe to go there, you could use satellites and telescopes as explained in the topic that was deleted, again. ^^'

Exactly, that's exactly what I talking about. Cool picture too.