Zero gravity in space

Zeta

Feb 19, 2014
Something I'd like to see added into galacticraft would be zero gravity in space for a nice touch of realism, I know it's far from impossible since other modders have already done this kind of thing where you could move backwards in space by punching with an empty hand.

I know many people have suggested artificial gravity before but here is my idea for it: gravity plating having an extremely large amount of electrons around their atoms, allowing for more attraction.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Something I'd like to see added into galacticraft would be zero gravity in space for a nice touch of realism, I know it's far from impossible since other modders have already done this kind of thing where you could move backwards in space by punching with an empty hand.

I know many people have suggested artificial gravity before but here is my idea for it: gravity plating having an extremely large amount of electrons around their atoms, allowing for more attraction.
Everywhere in space?

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I know it's far from impossible since other modders have already done this kind of thing where you could move backwards in space by punching with an empty hand.

For us who don't know what you are referring to, would you be so nice and show us this movement in zero-g? It reminds me of a previous discussions that has been done here. An EVA system utilizing maneuver thrusters could provide the player true weightlessness in space with minimal friction to movement. Otherwise there's always a slight gravity on space stations due to gameplay. Though, it's an interesting idea to possibly fall/float out of the world to another direction that isn't the dimension's bottom.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
There's a mod that was linked in the main Artificial gravity thread, which is pretty well made. I've been using it myself, and have had absolutely no issues (Except orientation problems :p).

Complete zero G in space seems like I good idea and I half support it, but it would probably create huge issues for people trying to get around building their stations. Jetpacks could probably solve this issue though.

People already complain about falling off the station. lol I can't imagine the annoyance they'll feel getting stuck in zero G.

Reactions: MoltonMontro

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
There's a mod that was linked in the main Artificial gravity thread, which is pretty well made. I've been using it myself, and have had absolutely no issues (Except orientation problems :p).

Complete zero G in space seems like I good idea and I half support it, but it would probably create huge issues for people trying to get around building their stations. Jetpacks could probably solve this issue though.

People already complain about falling off the station. lol I can't imagine the annoyance they'll feel getting stuck in zero G.
That's the best part! Falling to your death, burning up to little pieces, and flying away and slowly dying.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Jetpacks could probably solve this issue though.
Jetpack turned on = Mining mode: you can punch and use the pick to mine blocks.
Jetpack turned off = Free move mode: punching solid blocks pushes you. You can grab walls by shifting.
Tethers: jump key to reel out the cable, shift to reel in. To make it more game-friendly, you would be able to attach the cable anywhere by shift-holding the hook to any solid block.

But still, the biggest problem is, if you fly away towards any direction but the overworld with no jetpack or other player to rescue you you will never stop moving away, your only resort would be wait for the air to run out and die... or commit suicide. The same would happen inside the station if you happen to be in a big room where you can't reach a wall.

That's the best part! Falling to your death, burning up to little pieces, and flying away and slowly dying.
Funnily, falling off a GC space station toward the Overworld and not burning to death is more realistic and scientific accurate, I guess, because the SS is not flying at thousands kilometers per hour around the planet to be in orbit, it just floats like any solid block in Minecraft. Not enough speed to cause air friction and burning at re-entry.

Okay, I must be fun at parties. :3

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Jetpack turned off = Free move mode: punching solid blocks pushes you. You can grab walls by shifting.

I'd imagine alternative flight modes could work pretty well. The jetpack in Mekanism has it.

Funnily, falling off a GC space station toward the Overworld and not burning to death is more realistic and scientific accurate, I guess, because the SS is not flying at thousands kilometers per hour around the planet to be in orbit, it just floats like any solid block in Minecraft. Not enough speed to cause air friction and burning at re-entry.

If one got patience you'd eventually return thanks to orbital decay. Though, the ultimate fate of getting disintegrated alive during atmospheric reentry seems unlikely as the oxygen will probably have ran out since long.

Also, the core dimension used by space stations is supposed an orbit dimension accordingly referred by the game codes. Since the game codes operates above reality, the SS must actually be in orbit. It even has a string for a welcome message saying "Entering Earth Orbit" and respectively one for departure saying "Leaving Earth Orbit" that I'm yet to actually see ingame. NASA should take its top scientists and begin research on this matter for some answers.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Tethers: jump key to reel out the cable, shift to reel in. To make it more game-friendly, you would be able to attach the cable anywhere by shift-holding the hook to any solid block.

But still, the biggest problem is, if you fly away towards any direction but the overworld with no jetpack or other player to rescue you you will never stop moving away, your only resort would be wait for the air to run out and die... or commit suicide. The same would happen inside the station if you happen to be in a big room where you can't reach a wall.

Okay, I must be fun at parties. :3
Or does it? We could be on a moving space station at 5000 kph or km/h and never realize it! (We all know that isn't true, besides in our heads and archimedes ship mod ships for space stations.)

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
I'd imagine alternative flight modes could work pretty well. The jetpack in Mekanism has it.

Though, the ultimate fate of getting disintegrated alive during atmospheric reentry seems unlikely as the oxygen will probably have ran out since long.
Cheats bro!

Zachecho

Dec 2, 2013
Zero g is too hard to add in Minecraft but it can be done. It's just i doubt micdoodle8 will have time to work on this

Reactions: wolfboyft

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Zero g is too hard to add in Minecraft but it can be done. It's just i doubt micdoodle8 will have time to work on this
Too hard? Couldn't be too much harder than making planets have less gravity. I personally don't do much scripting, but, unless Mic made it really hard to edit past scripts, then it would be easy.