Automation

generilisk

Mar 16, 2014
I would like to see the mod more friendly with automation and pipes. Applied Energistics compatibility would make things much more enjoyable; clicking the components you need instead of walking back and forth would add to the futuristic feel of the mod.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Why is this posted again? I'm pretty sure something almost exactly like this was posted by someone else. AE is already compatible with GC. I've been using it already. The only machines that aren't compatible with AE are due to limitations of AE.

defiantstyles

Dec 19, 2014
It's a limitation of AE.
Could you explain that please. I mean, there's normally something that can be done to automate tasks in AE. For Ender IO, Mekanism, MFR, and Thermal Expansion, the machines can be automated, if you're willing to fuss with the configurations of the machines and, sometimes, devote extra channels to the the machines. And Thermal Expansion has some strange machines.
Thanks in advance!

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@defiantstyles did you try the latest version of Galacticraft?

If you think about it, Compressors are tough to automate because they have a crafting grid inventory on the input side. How is AE to know which of those 9 slots to place items into?

AE normally solves this by having a separate auto-crafting system. But that only works with regular Minecraft Crafting Table recipes, not with Compressor recipes.

In the latest versions of Galacticraft, I have made pipe inputs (or AE inputs) into Compressors a little smarter:
* If there is already a recipe laid out in the Compressor's grid, then pipes (or hoppers, or an AE system) can add items of the same types to that recipe to fill each input slot up to 64 items.
* It also evens out the stack sizes while doing that. For example, if you have a recipe needing 2 stacks of iron ingots, and you have 22 iron in one slot and 11 iron in the other input slot, then pipes will fill the slot with 11 iron up to 22 items first, before starting to fill the other slot.
* If there is no working recipe laid out in the Compressor's grid, then the pipe inputs will try to make a recipe by guesswork, basically putting items in slots to see if it makes a working recipe or not. This will work OK if the input items are ingots and the Compressor has a recipe like 2 copper ingots -> Compressed Copper. It will fail for a more complex recipe (e.g. Heavy-Duty Plating), for that one the player will need to set up a working recipe in the Compressor's grid and then the automation can continue as long as the recipe still has minimum 1 item in each position.

See also: http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Electric_Compressor

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
@defiantstyles did you try the latest version of Galacticraft?

If you think about it, Compressors are tough to automate because they have a crafting grid inventory on the input side. How is AE to know which of those 9 slots to place items into?

AE normally solves this by having a separate auto-crafting system. But that only works with regular Minecraft Crafting Table recipes, not with Compressor recipes.

In the latest versions of Galacticraft, I have made pipe inputs (or AE inputs) into Compressors a little smarter:
* If there is already a recipe laid out in the Compressor's grid, then pipes (or hoppers, or an AE system) can add items of the same types to that recipe to fill each input slot up to 64 items.
* It also evens out the stack sizes while doing that. For example, if you have a recipe needing 2 stacks of iron ingots, and you have 22 iron in one slot and 11 iron in the other input slot, then pipes will fill the slot with 11 iron up to 22 items first, before starting to fill the other slot.
* If there is no working recipe laid out in the Compressor's grid, then the pipe inputs will try to make a recipe by guesswork, basically putting items in slots to see if it makes a working recipe or not. This will work OK if the input items are ingots and the Compressor has a recipe like 2 copper ingots -> Compressed Copper. It will fail for a more complex recipe (e.g. Heavy-Duty Plating), for that one the player will need to set up a working recipe in the Compressor's grid and then the automation can continue as long as the recipe still has minimum 1 item in each position.

See also: http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Electric_Compressor

I haven't played Minecraft in a while (busy! busy!), but do the compressors work with the AE mechanic that lets you save recipes on a disk? IIRC the disks could be put in interfaces and the item becomes available for crafting in the AE system.

Skavies

Oct 19, 2019
Any chance of getting a toggle button in the gui's of the compressor and other hard to automate machines that tells it to keep at least one recipe in the crafting gui for automation?