Planet Icons

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I must say it's nice seeing some feedback on this idea. =)

But this feature will imply that the texture will change about 32 times during the lunar daytime. It will not be like the moon seen on the overworld: the moon needs to set in order to change its texture, while the overworld will change its texture every 2min30s on visible sky. I'm against? No, at all. I'm just warning that seeing the overworld changing its appearance in front of your eyes might be a little weird. But, hey, who will keep looking at the sky all the time?

Admittedly, I'm uncertain how the idea should ideally be implemented. Assuming the overworld is spinning, what would be its "face"? I'd imagine the simplest solution should be if the world's landmass is all one supercontinent akin to Pangaea.

Further elaboration on this idea would be changing the default skybox so the moon is no longer locked to the center of the night sky. Basing everything on a consistent lunar phase, it should technically be easy enough keeping everything in sync. I'm more than certain you already got insight into this, but for those who'd like a visual representation can check out this lunar phase simulator: http://astro.unl.edu/naap/lps/animations/lps.swf

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Alright, I've made further elaborations on this topic.

NZ9erMM.gif

This is an overview on how the overworld could possibly look like based on the idea most of its landmass is condensed into one single supercontinent. The opposite side has some partly visible ice caps to signify the planet's "rear". It's basically a point of reference for determining what time of the day it is on the overworld.

FQx2Xfu.gif

A blurry timelapsed animation on how it would kind of look like seen from space. The original flash document it was converted from makes a full spin per 48th frame. Per revolution it switches to the next phase frame (albeit there's only a texture switch per second frame, or specifically 16 phase textures in total). It also has an additional layer for clouds.

Jan 8, 2014
Sweden not really swedish im dutch
Alright, I've made further elaborations on this topic.

NZ9erMM.gif

This is an overview on how the overworld could possibly look like based on the idea most of its landmass is condensed into one single supercontinent. The opposite side has some partly visible ice caps to signify the planet's "rear". It's basically a point of reference for determining what time of the day it is on the overworld.

FQx2Xfu.gif

A blurry timelapsed animation on how it would kind of look like seen from space. The original flash document it was converted from makes a full spin per 48th frame. Per revolution it switches to the next phase frame (albeit there's only a texture switch per second frame, or specifically 16 phase textures in total). It also has an additional layer for clouds.
nice

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Cool. :)

Anyhow, the following idea isn't really about planetary phases.

After being inspired by a certain post, it brought me into thinking about the epic dust storms on Mars. At its peak they're global and may last for entire months, which meanwhile will have the surface shrouded in darkness.

But to the point: if something like that was implemented into GC, maybe those could also be visible from space? Hence I got the idea of reusing my previous work into creating an animation of Martian dust storms:

25pa6sX.gif

So yeah, the animation is a timelapse that also features a transition between normal state and the referred stormy state. So if you see the weather is bad from orbit, then it's bad news for anyone who was looking forward to an extraterrestrial vacation to the red planet.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Cool. :)

Anyhow, the following idea isn't really about planetary phases.

After being inspired by a certain post, it brought me into thinking about the epic dust storms on Mars. At its peak they're global and may last for entire months, which meanwhile will have the surface shrouded in darkness.

But to the point: if something like that was implemented into GC, maybe those could also be visible from space? Hence I got the idea of reusing my previous work into creating an animation of Martian dust storms:

25pa6sX.gif

So yeah, the animation is a timelapse that also features a transition between normal state and the referred stormy state. So if you see the weather is bad from orbit, then it's bad news for anyone who was looking forward to an extraterrestrial vacation to the red planet.

Mother of God! I very much like the idea of dust storms on Mars already. The ability to see them in such a way as this makes me very excite. I think this also points back to the idea of using telescopes to be able to see conditions like this and others.

Reactions: AcapitalA

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
Mother of God! I very much like the idea of dust storms on Mars already. The ability to see them in such a way as this makes me very excite. I think this also points back to the idea of using telescopes to be able to see conditions like this and others.
I totally agree, and it would be nice if the sandstorms would damage you a bit over time. (half-a-heart per 5-10 seconds?)

Reactions: Douglas_Fresh

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I really like the dust storm idea, but perhaps since this thread is specifically for the planetary phase appearance we are getting a bit off-topic and aught to discuss the storm itself here:

http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/dust-storms.2767/#post-18568

I agree. Although, perhaps I could evolve the aspect of this topic by renaming it to "Planetary Views"? I namely had another idea about Saturn's rings "wobbling" and the rather dynamic atmosphere of Jupiter. Maybe it could also in the end be compiled and edited into the OP.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Planet Icons? :3

I like it. It's also not like there's much work involved either. I'll see what I can come up with. :]

I'm quite happy with how I managed condensing Mars' texture's topography, though it quite lack that pixel art kind of feel I was aiming for. I'd also imagine the viability of adding a reddish color for the sake of the famous figure of speech Mars's know for. =} Anyway, here's the original texture:

h82zD4U.gif

Btw, what would be the "face" of Mars? I guess it could be a large patch that resembles a plain rather than a mountain that occasionally arise a suspiciously recognizable form during a certain moment of the day. =J

Last edited:

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Le Saturn.

QUk6uwY.gif

Aside from the timelapse, this is how Saturn could typically look like when observed from the inner solar system (e.g. the Overworld). When being around the outer solar system, I'd imagine Saturn together with its system of rings would make a more prominent display of its various planetary phases.

Perhaps a space station in low orbit could even have the Saturnian ring system as a major part of its skybox.