Assembly and Research System

How do you feel about this suggestion?

• I dislike the thought of needing so many resources to go through the stages. Otherwise, great!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Thoughts Posted in Comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Whether or not anything comes of this suggestion, only time will tell. I must say, though, that this is a very, very well executed suggestion thread! The ideas, ui's, textures, creating recipes, etc...wonderful job!

I don't know what it is about that satellite and probe, but I love them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezer'Arch

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Whether or not anything comes of this suggestion, only time will tell. I must say, though, that this is a very, very well executed suggestion thread! The ideas, ui's, textures, creating recipes, etc...wonderful job!

I don't what it is about that satellite and probe, but I love them!
How SpaceViking made them look like they were textured by Mic?

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
I'm not sure how the R&D Station should be. I suppose it could be something like the NASA Workbench, but with a blank blueprint instead of a Crafting Table.
I feel that the levers on the NASA Workbench make sense, but not for the R&D Table, since the levers represented mechanical arms or giant switches to activate the arms on the NASA Workbench, while on the R&D Table, well, yeah. Instead, I (Don't notice the poor 16x16 versions of the Advanced Wafer and Basic Wrench!) kept the idea of a blueprint instead of a crafting table, kept the compressed steel and redstone torch, but on the right, had a book to signify research, and on the left for development. This would make even more sense if it the table took up 2 blocks.

Again, don't zoom in on the Advanced Wafer and Basic Wrench, also don't look at the Compressed Steel.

36QB5Or.png

Last edited:

Ops. The Xeno

May 3, 2014
Note; My project of making a complete chart ended abruptly when access to the (highly unstable) builds of GC3 Dev ended. Thus, it may seem a bit lacking.
(...)
so I understand that the research technology unlocks upgrades for vehicles, but will it also apply to stuff like new items, weapons, and armor as well?

Mod note: you sure don't need to quote ~50 lines of post to comment one.
~@Ezer'Arch

Last edited by a moderator:

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Well, you should read through the rest of the suggestion. :p But at the start, that was the concept.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I've been thinking of the Galaxy Menu, and well, I haven't actually come up with much:

DJVeyRC.png

This is a concept of star selection that I experimented with but didn't end up happy with. It was supposed to be to the top left of the Galaxy Map, and upon confirming star select, it would open its system of planets. I will keep considering the design.

The wrist computer does have potentials in its own right, I must say. It could work in place of the default GC menu. It could house the Galaxy Map, give an overview of your current tech tree (usable with a digital storage upgrade, maybe?) and maybe even serve as an in-game player guide of some sort.

Possibly you could even install a HUD module into your helmet that would interface directly with your wrist computer. Perhaps it could even have a "Bluetooth"-similar module to connect with your in-game friends for sharing tactical data.

That and the crafting recipe for them. But how both the textures and the recipes seem so Galacticraft accurate.

First I thought you where wondering about their in-game use, but I see that wasn't the case.

To be honest, I thought of designing them as simple mockups fit for Minecraft, but I supposed I have the habit of getting carried away when doing something. Though aside from collecting inspiration, the basic idea is I'm initially starting with creating and tweaking a silhouette of the object I want to depict within a 16x16 space. Let's use the lander probe for this rough example:

wIL2oQH.gif

I'm using a low-contrast 4 color greyscale palette. After creating the silhouette, the next step is about using a lighter color of grey for lighting and 'filling out' the body, while leaving shaded or dark structural untouched (like the landing engine and antennas). Additional details may be added in (like a sat-dish).

Next step is about experimenting with additional coloring and then finishing it off with some highlights. I supposed that's the best answer I can give.

I feel that the levers on the NASA Workbench make sense, but not for the R&D Table, since the levers represented mechanical arms or giant switches to activate the arms on the NASA Workbench, while on the R&D Table, well, yeah. Instead, I (Don't notice the poor 16x16 versions of the Advanced Wafer and Basic Wrench!) kept the idea of a blueprint instead of a crafting table, kept the compressed steel and redstone torch, but on the right, had a book to signify research, and on the left for development. This would make even more sense if it the table took up 2 blocks.

36QB5Or.png

I like it. Certainly it does make sense using blank blueprint for scetching and a book for documentations. I also like the idea of a tool representing the tinkering of proof-of-concept models. The wafer would presumably be a redstone powered CPU used for calculating complex equations.

Anyhow...

RpxvNGD.png

This is a little more elaborated early tech tree plus scoring conditions. I thought an orbital satellite could score you 2 points. One is for investing in the 'Lunar Program' node and the other point is up to the player to decide if it's going to be 'Extra Boosters' (direct ascent) or 'Orbital Docking' (Lunar Orbit Rendezvous).

About 'Mobility Aid', I honestly didn't really think through how it's located. It's regardless intended to be possible to unlock prior a Moon landing by taking advantage of the auxiliary task of a probe landing.

After a Moon landing the player may unlock the tech node 'Space Station' (as well 'Mobility Aid' if he didn't earlier). I am not sure about spacewalking as a milestone though. Presumably it's just a gimmick you score right after deploying the docking module.

After that the tech tree ascends to tier 2. Now you might need to achieve something more than just simply scoring sufficient points to unlock the start node of tier 2. I'm uncertain if the Tier 2 lander should already be unlocked at the initial node, or if that should be in a separate node.

'Liquid Boosters' are supposedly needed if you want to bring a docking module with you to Mars. Whereas 'Better Buggy' is mostly food for thought that could be connected to its previous counterpart. I haven't really figured out how the tier 2 section should be.

hEn7QIn.png

That's right, the player is free to build his spacestation from here. I'm also suggesting docking ports could allow inter-vehicular transfers for a direct boarding of your spacestation. An EVA transfer could still be done if necessary (and possibly have your CSM strapped to the spacestation to prevent it from floating away). I'm not entirely sure about the docking process however. It's also heading to the realm of off-topic, so I'll stop for now.

Since you brought this up, this would mean no more parachests falling down on the spacestation, nor teleporting to the pad. This would greatly solve people's problems with that. =3 (Yes, I just realized the helpfulness, besides the more obvious ones.)

I'd imagine it would be practical as long as the docking process is relatively easy (possibly automated). A docked vehicle would offer direct access to its storage (using custom GUI elements) by simply right clicking on the occupied docking port from inside the station. You could also choose to board the vehicle, and once boarded, you would be able to undock.

To leave the dimension you'd probably just aim the CSM toward empty space and simply fire the main engine. Either it could be used for travel to another local space station, or you could return the planet you're orbiting. Landing on the host planet will be the separate crew capsule undergoing an atmospheric reentry.

EnderSpace

Oct 29, 2013
The Edges of Space
I've been thinking of the Galaxy Menu, and well, I haven't actually come up with much:

DJVeyRC.png

This is a concept of star selection that I experimented with but didn't end up happy with. It was supposed to be to the top left of the Galaxy Map, and upon confirming star select, it would open its system of planets. I will keep considering the design.

The wrist computer does have potentials in its own right, I must say. It could work in place of the default GC menu. It could house the Galaxy Map, give an overview of your current tech tree (usable with a digital storage upgrade, maybe?) and maybe even serve as an in-game player guide of some sort.

Possibly you could even install a HUD module into your helmet that would interface directly with your wrist computer. Perhaps it could even have a "Bluetooth"-similar module to connect with your in-game friends for sharing tactical data.

First I thought you where wondering about their in-game use, but I see that wasn't the case.

To be honest, I thought of designing them as simple mockups fit for Minecraft, but I supposed I have the habit of getting carried away when doing something. Though aside from collecting inspiration, the basic idea is I'm initially starting with creating and tweaking a silhouette of the object I want to depict within a 16x16 space. Let's use the lander probe for this rough example:

wIL2oQH.gif

I'm using a low-contrast 4 color greyscale palette. After creating the silhouette, the next step is about using a lighter color of grey for lighting and 'filling out' the body, while leaving shaded or dark structural untouched (like the landing engine and antennas). Additional details may be added in (like a sat-dish).

Next step is about experimenting with additional coloring and then finishing it off with some highlights. I supposed that's the best answer I can give.

I like it. Certainly it does make sense using blank blueprint for scetching and a book for documentations. I also like the idea of a tool representing the tinkering of proof-of-concept models. The wafer would presumably be a redstone powered CPU used for calculating complex equations.

Anyhow...

RpxvNGD.png

This is a little more elaborated early tech tree plus scoring conditions. I thought an orbital satellite could score you 2 points. One is for investing in the 'Lunar Program' node and the other point is up to the player to decide if it's going to be 'Extra Boosters' (direct ascent) or 'Orbital Docking' (Lunar Orbit Rendezvous).

About 'Mobility Aid', I honestly didn't really think through how it's located. It's regardless intended to be possible to unlock prior a Moon landing by taking advantage of the auxiliary task of a probe landing.

After a Moon landing the player may unlock the tech node 'Space Station' (as well 'Mobility Aid' if he didn't earlier). I am not sure about spacewalking as a milestone though. Presumably it's just a gimmick you score right after deploying the docking module.

After that the tech tree ascends to tier 2. Now you might need to achieve something more than just simply scoring sufficient points to unlock the start node of tier 2. I'm uncertain if the Tier 2 lander should already be unlocked at the initial node, or if that should be in a separate node.

'Liquid Boosters' are supposedly needed if you want to bring a docking module with you to Mars. Whereas 'Better Buggy' is mostly food for thought that could be connected to its previous counterpart. I haven't really figured out how the tier 2 section should be.

I'd imagine it would be practical as long as the docking process is relatively easy (possibly automated). A docked vehicle would offer direct access to its storage (using custom GUI elements) by simply right clicking on the occupied docking port from inside the station. You could also choose to board the vehicle, and once boarded, you would be able to undock.

To leave the dimension you'd probably just aim the CSM toward empty space and simply fire the main engine. Either it could be used for travel to another local space station, or you could return the planet you're orbiting. Landing on the host planet will be the separate crew capsule undergoing an atmospheric reentry.
your awesome maybe i could take lessons from u

Benoni

Oct 20, 2013
Who voted for ''I dislike the idea completely?!''

Off Topic: Here is your profile pic.SpaceViking.jpg