Refinery power

Pester

Aug 8, 2014
How much power does the refinery require to operate continuously without the stop/start?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
which version of Galacticraft? that's somewhat important.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
That version is so old that I don't know the answer. If you have the choice, I strongly recommend you update to a newer version of Galacticraft, the latest 1.6.4 version is 2.0.14.1094. You can download that and place it in the modpack's /mods folder in place of the existing (3 files to download including MicdoodleCore and GalacticraftPlanets, replace all 3). If you must stick to that version (for example because you're on a server and the server owner won't update), I guess just try out the Refinery with a full energy bar and see how long it takes to run down?

Pester

Aug 8, 2014
Sorry, I was actually using the latest 1.6.4 version. The bar will fill up and then slowly reduce to zero and then just begin off/on behavior. I have 3 dynamos powering it but that doesn't seem to keep a positive power balance. I have the dynamos powering a energy cell and then down to the dynamo. I have the output of the cell pumped up close to max.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
which version of Galacticraft? that's somewhat important.
I noticed none of the machines displays the watts necessary to work anymore. Probably we will need to guess by trial-and-error the amount of energy to be generated, unless I'm missing something. o.o'

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@Pester - you could try going to edit /config/Galacticraft/power.conf and increasing the number for "Thermal Expansion Conversion Ratio". Or better: if you have upgraded Galacticraft to a recent 2.0.14 version from 2.0.7.904 then I'd actually recommend now deleting the power.conf as a first step. Deleting it will cause it to be regenerated when the game next starts. That should give you good up-to-date values. If you don't like the ratios after that then adjust them, but I suggest only make small changes.

@Ezer'Arch we can probably add that info on the tooltips in Galacticraft 3.

Pester

Aug 8, 2014
@Pester - you could try going to edit /config/Galacticraft/power.conf and increasing the number for "Thermal Expansion Conversion Ratio". Or better: if you have upgraded Galacticraft to a recent 2.0.14 version from 2.0.7.904 then I'd actually recommend now deleting the power.conf as a first step. Deleting it will cause it to be regenerated when the game next starts. That should give you good up-to-date values. If you don't like the ratios after that then adjust them, but I suggest only make small changes.

I did what you suggested and the values returned to the same as before. (using 2.0.14) I realize that they are probably balanced by devs for reasons. Not sure which way the values run... 1 rf x .00399999... = .00399999.. watt. Is this correct? So I would need approximately 2000 RF to run continuously.
Maybe better to build a coal generator which output 10kw?

Is there a reference somewhere that already lists the values for the various power systems somewhere?

Thanks again for your help.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
In 1.6.4 the Refinery takes 0.4 kJ per tick, so converted into kJ per second (kW) that's 8 kW for continuous operation, in Galacticraft's own units.

With a default power.conf Galacticraft config file, the conversion factor is 1 RF = 0.039 kJ. So to run the Refinery continuously will need about 10.25 RF per tick.

Every Dynamo in Thermal Expansion produces 80 RF per tick. So a continuously running Dynamo should be able to power 7 Refineries, continuously.

If that's not working out for you then check carefully that your power.conf matches the default. If you're seeing 0.003999999 like you wrote, and not 0.039, then it looks like you have a modified or out of date power.conf, so you should edit it to 0.039 (or just delete it).
Default numbers are here if you need to look them up: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galac...ssion/compatibility/NetworkConfigHandler.java

---

@Ezer'Arch - the new build of GC3 (3.0.0.156) has tooltips for all machines showing the power requirement.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

Pester

Aug 8, 2014
Here is the power.conf that generates when I delete the old one.

# Configuration file

####################
# compatiblity
####################

compatiblity {
D:"BuildCraft Conversion Ratio"=0.03999999910593033
D:"IndustrialCraft Conversion Ratio"=0.11255999654531479
D:"Mekanism Conversion Ratio"=0.0015999999595806003
D:"Thermal Expansion Conversion Ratio"=0.003999999724328518

I took out one of the zeros the the TE conversion and everything seems to be ok. I wonder why this is the power.conf file being generated?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Seems like you're not using the latest version of Galacticraft 1.6.4 if you're getting a different power.conf.

Anyhow, you're ok now.

Pester

Aug 8, 2014
That was first I checked, running 2.0.14.1084 of all three files for 1.6.4.

So I got my learn on and downloaded a java decompiler and took a look at the .class file that you had linked to a few posts ago, and here is what it shows..

package micdoodle8.mods.galacticraft.api.transmission.compatibility;

import cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader;
import java.io.File;
import mekanism.api.gas.Gas;
import mekanism.api.gas.GasRegistry;
import net.minecraftforge.common.Configuration;
import net.minecraftforge.common.Property;

public class NetworkConfigHandler
{
private static Configuration config;
public static float BC3_RATIO = 0.04F;
public static float TE_RATIO = BC3_RATIO / 10.0F;
public static float IC2_RATIO = 0.11256F;
public static float MEKANISM_RATIO = 0.0016F;
public static float TO_BC_RATIO = 1.0F / BC3_RATIO;
public static float TO_TE_RATIO = 1.0F / TE_RATIO;
public static float TO_IC2_RATIO = 1.0F / IC2_RATIO;
public static float TO_MEKANISM_RATIO = 1.0F / MEKANISM_RATIO;
public static Object gasOxygen = null;
private static Boolean mekanismOldClassFound;
public static void setDefaultValues(File file)
{
if (config == null) {
config = new Configuration(file);

I don't see anything that would be making the power.conf generate the way that it does

Sorry to be such a bug.. It is more of an academic issue for me know that

Thanks!

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
You're fine, that's a totally reasonable question.

The answer is that 1084 is not in fact the most recent version, it's just the last version which was assigned a version number on the mod's main download page. The latest (currently) is 2.0.14.1094. The changelog http://ci.micdoodle8.com/job/Galacticraft/changes shows that the Buildcraft energy ratio was modified in version 1087, and because the Thermal Expansion is calculated from the Buildcraft ratio, that has also now been updated.

We had a lot of trouble finding the correct ratios in 1.6.4 because Galacticraft's energy system was closely based on Universal Electricity (once upon a time back in Minecraft 1.4.7 days, Galacticraft was one of the Universal Electricity mods as the idea of a single energy system across several mods seemed like a great idea at the time). Unfortunately, that meant we did not start off with sensible conversion ratios but it took us quite a bit of player feedback to realise that.

Galacticraft 3 has a redesigned energy system with ratios which should be more consistent and realistic from the start, or if there are problems then with any luck they will emerge in the BETA period.