Galacticraft 3 Release Notes

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I was messing around with Methane. Umm, isn't it weird that we use Empty Liquid Canisters to be filled with Methane Gas?

I do find myself the choice of name in question to be rather peculiar, and do think something like 'Gas Cylinder' would make more sense. Unlike bottled gas, a storage tank labeled to contain "liquid" is expected the content to be stable in standard conditions for temperature and pressure.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I do find myself the choice of name in question to be rather peculiar, and do think something like 'Gas Cylinder' would make more sense. Unlike bottled gas, a storage tank labeled to contain "liquid" is expected the content to be stable in standard conditions for temperature and pressure.
Then we would have 2 kinds of containers: Canisters of liquids, and Cylinders for gases, but it would add more things to bear in mind and we don't have many kinds of gases to justify a container only for gases.

Or, in a simpler approach, we could rename all "* Liquid Canister" and "* Gas Canister" to "* Canister" or "* Cylinder" .

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
The Methane Gas Canisters are here to stay, for this reason:
Ezer'Arch said:
Then we would have 2 kinds of containers: Canisters of liquids, and Cylinders for gases, but it would add more things to bear in mind and we don't have many kinds of gases to justify a container only for gases.

My concept is that the Methane Gas canister is like LNG, under high pressure so internally it's (barely) liquid at room temperature. Like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/LP_gas_cilinder.jpg It's named a "Methane Gas" canister because it's gas that goes into it and gas that comes out of it when you release the pressure.

The Gas Liquefier cools gases to low temperature and also does some additional (unspecified) process which transforms methane into a stable liquid form known as "fuel".

The canister which is suitable for crude oil magically transforms into: a canister suitable for rocket fuel; a pressurised cylinder suitable for LNG; and a Dewar vessel suitable for super-cold liquid oxygen or liquid nitrogen. It's an abstraction for gameplay purposes, c'mon guys.

At a future stage (GC4?) it's likely that liquid methane will be added to the game as there are lakes of it on outer planets / moons. I have not yet decided about liquid hydrogen and liquid helium, as I don't think those are naturally found anywhere in the Solar System, and industrially it's a different process to make and store them, they are uncommon outside research laboratories and hospitals - in contrast LNG, liquid oxygen and liquid nitrogen can easily be made industrially and bought. As my old science teacher used to say, "liquid nitrogen is the same price as milk".

I think the existing names are good names as they should make it clear to most players how to use the canisters, like Methane Gas goes into the Gas Liquefier, and Liquid Oxygen (etc) comes out. NEI also covers it.

As with many of the other recent additions, what this really needs is a high quality page on the Wiki to explain it all ....

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013

Or, in a simpler approach, we could rename all "* Liquid Canister" and "* Gas Canister" to "* Canister" or "* Cylinder" .
It doesn't really matter if you can keep gases in a liquid container, what matters is "is it sealed?"
But still, i'd like to see the liquid canisters getting renamed to just canisters...

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Recipe for the new Display Screen, and a new screenshot, at: https://twitter.com/radfast

How to use:
  • Rotate screens using the Standard Wrench
  • Change channel by right-clicking the screen. There are currently 4 channels and "off".
  • To build large screens, put blocks together. They will auto-connect when you next click to change channel.
  • Long narrow shapes for larger screens are not allowed - for example 3 x 1, 4 x 1, etc.
Known issues:

(1) The 'clock' on the fourth channel is not the correct time (it's based on 'system time' which for me seems 15 minutes out) and it is just not very interesting to have a real-world clock anyhow. It's there as a tech demo to check that we can get text onto these screens, there will be more interesting screens coming soon.

(2) It is tough to build two large screens touching each other (like 3 x 2 next to 3 x 2). Normally they will try to join up automatically. You might be able to do it if you make one of them higher than the other one (like 3 x 3 next to 3 x 2) then break the unwanted blocks in the larger screen.

(3) Some visual glitches if you try to build any screen larger than 5 x 5. Click on screen blocks again and they should fix themselves - especially if you click on blocks near the centre of a large screen. 9 x 9 is the maximum size possible without glitches.

It would be great if players can test and report on two things please:
  • on a multi-player server, if one player changes channel on a screen, or changes orientation or join-up for the screen, do all other players see the same changes?
  • if you have a different font installed, for example from the BetterFonts mod (if that's still a thing), does the clock still look OK?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
One more thing:

Please do not make suggestions to me at this stage for screens which can be added.

The new screens are pretty exciting. My expectation is a lot of players will start to have good ideas for things which can be added to make cool screen displays for their space bases. Really there is no limit on what these screens can do.

But for now, I do not want to be bombarded with suggestions. I have ideas for several more excellent screens already, but each one will take some time to implement properly. There's also some other stuff I need to do in the mod.

But here comes the good part: it's actually pretty easy for anyone who knows Java to use the Galacticraft API to make a new screen. Me + micdoodle8 want to see some screens from players. We think people should find it about 20x easier to make a screen than to make a new planet (making new planets is tough).

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014

ACapitalA said:
But still, i'd like to see the liquid canisters getting renamed to just canisters...

OK, I renamed the Empty Liquid Canister so it's now an "Empty Canister". That should cover it, I think. In other languages it depends on our translators picking up the change.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Well the icons look different, so I hope the majority of people won't be confused. (I agree it's not great that Canisters have the same name as Tin Canisters and Copper Canisters, but too late to change that). Anyhow if you are playing Galacticraft in survival you will need plenty of all three items to progress so I don't think it's too bad if a player ends up making the wrong one by mistake.

I never liked the name Empty Liquid Canister anyhow. A few builds back I had the methane item become an Empty Gas Canister when it was empty but that didn't work too well because with liquids you need to get back the exact same empty item that you originally crafted, to refill again (like getting back a bucket).

It can be changed again, the most recent commit has not made its way into a build yet.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
It can be changed again, the most recent commit has not made its way into a build yet.
Definitely I'm not pulling my hair and killing kittens for this. :3

Now, let me brag about my monitors:
RCypXa3.png

I discovered a trick: I can use the wrench to rotate each piece and set up the splits between the panes.

Dwight

Sep 12, 2014
Wow.... I love it :)

So here is my pages long list of wants for screens.... ( just kidding )

Beautiful folks... really impressive

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
New build 3.0.4.212 is up.

It allows you to configure ores from other mods to be generated on the Moon or Mars (see this thread: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/mars-and-other-dims-world-gen.4530/).

It also includes a small but interesting tweak for when you are crafting blocks of copper (and other metals). As everybody knows, the crafting recipe is 9 ingots makes 1 block. What's smart is this: if all 9 ingots are Galacticraft copper ingots, it makes a Galacticraft copper block. But if all 9 ingots are Mekanism copper ingots (for example), it makes a Mekanism copper block. That can be important, because the Mekanism copper block is a needed component for the Mekanism Salination Controller. If you mix copper ingots from different mods, you will make a Galacticraft copper block if any of the 9 ingots is the Galacticraft type. Other metals (tin, aluminium) work the same way.

Dwight

Sep 12, 2014
Thank you, Good update, my play group has a minor question... is there a reason that Meteoric Iron Ore cannot be made into blocks?

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I have not yet decided about liquid hydrogen and liquid helium, as I don't think those are naturally found anywhere in the Solar System, and industrially it's a different process to make and store them, they are uncommon outside research laboratories and hospitals

It's theorized those two elements occurs as precipitation within the atmosphere of each of the four outer planets. Not to mention the ocean of supercritical fluids further down, if that counts.

Industrial production of liquid hydrogen is typically involving a large compressor (similar to a jet engine) that collects the hydrogen gas into an internal storage tank where it's cooled to below its boiling point. Civilian use is indeed currently limited and it's mostly reserved for laboratories, aerospace and military applications. Still, liquid hydrogen has been a research topic as potential fuel storage for commercial vehicles.

Well the icons look different, so I hope the majority of people won't be confused. (I agree it's not great that Canisters have the same name as Tin Canisters and Copper Canisters, but too late to change that). Anyhow if you are playing Galacticraft in survival you will need plenty of all three items to progress so I don't think it's too bad if a player ends up making the wrong one by mistake.

I was thinking of a change like that. Perhaps it's rather the two latter that needs considerations regarding its naming, eh? :p Anyhow, I have plans to updates some of the current graphics, so I could put some emphasis on icon design to help differentiate between these referred items.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
New build 3.0.5.219 has a new block, the Telemetry Unit.

This is used with the Display Screen to make an interesting data display about rockets, players and mobs.

How to use:
1) Place a Telemetry Unit block close to your Display Screen. It must be within 32 blocks.
2) The Display Screen will automatically link to its nearest Telemetry Unit. If you have a large display screen, like 3x3, it looks for the Telemetry Unit closest to the bottom-left screen.
3) Now grab a Frequency Module and left-click it on an entity (a rocket, or a mob) then right-click on the Telemetry Unit to make a link.
4) Or, you can right-click with the Frequency Module on a Telemetry Unit to make a link, then wear that Frequency Module. This is how to transfer player data to the Telemetry Unit.

You can make side-by-side screens with data for different players, if each screen has its own different Telemetry Unit.

Enjoy!

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Telemetry Unit.
You said something about "Telemetry" on Twitter, I would never guest that. :)

Just 2 things:
  1. Looks like the Telemetry Unit for players is linked via the Frequency Module. This means that, I lose that Frequency Module, the link is lost. Also, I have 2 or more Frequency Modules in my inventory or chest, I can't tell which one the link was assigned in. What if there is a "Tracking player" string in item tooltip?
  2. Is the BPM random? What if it takes in account the amount of mouse clicks and walking speed? Because if you are clicking too much and walking pretty fast, it's a hint that someone may be in panic being chased by an army of Evolved Zombies, somewhere, somehow... ^^'
EDIT:

Now about the Display Screen:
  1. If an entity is being tracked, it could show its name (Name Tag or Custom Name).
  2. The Screens will always attempt to merge with the other bordering screens when I right-click on them. It would be cool if this auto-merger were disabled if I shift-right-click the screens.

Last edited:
Reactions: AcapitalA

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
You said something about "Telemetry" on Twitter, I would never guest that. :)

Just 2 things:
  1. Looks like the Telemetry Unit for players is linked via the Frequency Module. This means that, I lose that Frequency Module, the link is lost. Also, I have 2 or more Frequency Modules in my inventory or chest, I can't tell which one the link was assigned in. What if there is a "Tracking player" string in item tooltip?
  2. Is the BPM random? What if it takes in account the amount of mouse clicks and walking speed? Because if you are clicking too much and walking pretty fast, it's a hint that someone may be in panic being chased by an army of Evolved Zombies, somewhere, somehow... ^^'
Now about the Display Screen:
  1. If an entity is being tracked, it could show its name (Name Tag or Custom Name).
  2. The Screens will always attempt to merge with the other bordering screens when I right-click on them. It would be cool if this auto-merger were disabled if I shift-right-click the screens.
hehe :)

1. The player link is based on wearing the Frequency Module. It can't be used to track players like the ICBM tracker (click on a player does not make a link) so only a player who is willing for you to have the telemetry data - by wearing the Frequency Module - will be tracked. (I guess a player could be tricked into being tracked by being given a "free" Frequency Module.)

2. The BPM is currently based on rapid movement changes and taking damage. It should go up a lot if you are fighting or jumping, not so much if you are walking. Walking needs some work, BPM should be around 60-80, not as low as 40. Thanks for the idea of clicking too much increasing BPM, I can maybe add that also.

2A. I am also thinking about other space-related data which we can add for players.

1. Name Tag or Custom Name is a good idea, that can be added.

2. Shift-right click the screens is the answer I have been looking for, thanks for that. Except it should be the other way around, the screens should auto-merge if you shift-right click, and change channel on a regular right-click.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
(I guess a player could be tricked into being tracked by being given a "free" Frequency Module.)

4h8ikSp.gif

2. Shift-right click the screens is the answer I have been looking for, thanks for that. Except it should be the other way around, the screens should auto-merge if you shift-right click, and change channel on a regular right-click.
Normally in Minecraft shift key is used to override an automatic behavior, such as right-click a crafting table with a block, opens crafting table UI; but shift-right-click a crafting table with a block, forces block placement. Just I don't know if this is consistent throughout the game.

Reactions: Vigilantecow

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
New Galacticraft 3.0.6.231 is out, with a major overhaul of the Asteroids dimension.

* Eliminated the lag in the Asteroids dimension

* A good proportion of asteroids now have cores of solid ore

* Added a new lighting system, Asteroids are lit on the sunny side and dark on the other side - it looks pretty nice if you fly around now

B18Pw7UIcAAEb17.png

See here for a list of the ores: http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Asteroids#Geological_Features