Galacticraft Ores Not Generating in Overworld

Raduloket

Nov 1, 2014
I'm using the latest version of Galacticraft, Forge, etc, and after scouring the world in Creative, I haven't found a single ore from Galacticraft(among other mods). Here's what I'm currently running:

http://pastebin.com/gam22ExF

Some mods are generating ores just fine, others aren't. For the moment, only IC2 is generating Tin and Copper, but that wasn't the case prior to adding Thaumcraft and a few other mods. Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
What most modpack authors do is base ore-gen off one mod. For example thermal expansion is the mod uses most often. So rather than having copper from 5 different mods. There will just be thermal expansion copper. From what I have experienced the other ores from other mods should work just fine with the GC recipes. For example Ic2 copper should work with a GC recipe. I would recommend going into the config, and disabling the ore-gen for the mods you want and re-gen your world. Other than that, nothing much you can do. Most mods have a config option to enable and disable ore generation.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Galacticraft core config has separate enable/disable settings for each different metal ore so you can control this on the Galacticraft side of things. But it sounds like some other mod - one of the ones you added recently - is disabling all of Galacticraft's oregen. That's going to suck because even if you have all the metals (including Aluminum) you can't progress without Silicon Ore.

You should also check whether ores are generating properly on Moon, Mars and Asteroids.

Raduloket

Nov 1, 2014
Yeah, that's my big concern. I don't need tin and copper from all those mods, but I need silicon and aluminum. I hadn't thought of going to the moon to see if t generates properly there. I'll try that(Nether Ores seems to be spawning at least one mod's ores that don't show up in the Overworld at all, no aluminum or Silicon though).

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Oho, NetherOres - it could well be that causing the problem, please post up your findings as it will help other people.

I saw you posted on MinecraftForum as well, thanks for switching over to this forum, it makes it easier and you will find more experienced players here.

Raduloket

Nov 1, 2014
Where possible, I try to cast a wide net and go to the source. I think Nether Ores MAY be the problem, but it's also possibly Underground Biomes Constructs. I want to try and use CoFH Core's ore generation to bypass whatever is working for some mods and short-circuiting ore generation in others, since some of them are clearly looking for Vanilla stone to replace and failing to find it(per Shinow, that's the case with Abyssalcraft ores not generating). I don't know if that's happening with Galacticraft as well, so I'm going to disable Nether Ores(it's easier to put back later than UBC) and test that solution first. If I can get a hold of the Block IDs used by Underground Biomes, I can test the CoFH Core ore generator.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
You didn't mention Underground Biomes before.

All mods with standard oregen - certainly, Galacticraft - look for Plain Stone to replace with ores. They look for Plain Stone and only Plain Stone. The reason is to make sure that a mod does not accidentally delete another mod's ore.

In more detail, in vanilla all Overworld biomes are made first with Plain Stone all the way down to bedrock (with a couple of layers of surface features on top, so it could be dirt + grass, sandstone + sand, etc). The worldgen then replaces some of that Plain Stone with ores, also with what can be considered "large ore patches" like underground dirt and gravel - this is the oregen process. After that, it cuts through some of it to make ravines, underground lava caverns, abandoned mineshafts etc; Galacticraft oil reservoirs are made in a similar way to underground lava.

So it is not surprising that you are not seeing oregen from most mods.

For the exact same reason, Galacticraft now has custom oregen for other mods on Moon and Mars, because most other mods will not understand to replace Moon Rock and Mars Stone with ores. (Galacticraft also has an option to disable other mods worldgen on Moon and Mars, but that normally makes no difference on ores because the oregens already wouldn't work for this reason, it mainly affects surface features like flowers, trees and clouds.)

Last edited:

Raduloket

Nov 1, 2014
So it is not surprising that you are not seeing oregen from most mods. This is an issue which Underground Biomes needs to solve, though right now I don't see how they easily can.

For the exact same reason, Galacticraft now has custom oregen for other mods on Moon and Mars, because most other mods will not understand to replace Moon Rock and Mars Stone with ores. (Galacticraft also has an option to disable other mods worldgen on Moon and Mars, but that normally makes no difference on ores because the oregens already wouldn't work for this reason, it mainly affects surface features like flowers, trees and clouds.)

The forum post I linked suggests a compatibility fix on the coder's side, so you're probably right that there's little they can do on their end to prevent ores from not generating properly if they're looking for stone. Their solution doesn't really help on the client's side, though.

If CoFH Core can be made to work, that may be the only compatibility option for the time being. But it's definitely going to be a long, slow walk through a lot of JSON brackets and researching block ID names.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
If it helps, you can make Galacticraft give you the block ID names for any block from any mod.

In the client, just look up the ID# + metadata numbers (e.g. in NEI) in your current world and include those IDs in Galacticraft's core.conf config under the Detectable IDs for Sensor Glasses config - one block ID# on each line.

Then start Minecraft and play for a few seconds. In the clientside log, Galacticraft will give you a warning message in the log for each block ID#, telling you the blockname to use instead.

Raduloket

Nov 1, 2014
If it helps, you can make Galacticraft give you the block ID names for any block from any mod.

In the client, just look up the ID# + metadata numbers (e.g. in NEI) in your current world and include those IDs in Galacticraft's core.conf config under the Detectable IDs for Sensor Glasses config - one block ID# on each line.

Then start Minecraft and play for a few seconds. In the clientside log, Galacticraft will give you a warning message in the log for each block ID#, telling you the blockname to use instead.

Huh, that's actually pretty handy. I still haven't figured out why its so hard to find the blockname(even f3+h gives ID numbers instead) when the numbers started being phased out in 1.7.

I'm not sure I'll have much luck using the blocknames for UB stone, though. The IDs apparently change with every world generated. My hope is that the names given in that post will suffice, but I'm not sure. The instructions for their ore generator at Feed the Beast seem to use block name and block ID interchangeably, and I'm only half sure of the difference myself.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Next build 3.0.5.230 will have fixed this oregen issue with Underground Biomes. You'll need to make a new world, of course, to get the benefit.

Ores in Galacticraft's own dimensions will still be generated in the old way (replacing Moon Rock or Mars Stone) as I'm assuming that Underground Biomes will not be operating in those dimensions.

Raduloket

Nov 1, 2014
Next build 3.0.5.230 will have fixed this oregen issue with Underground Biomes. You'll need to make a new world, of course, to get the benefit.

Ores in Galacticraft's own dimensions will still be generated in the old way (replacing Moon Rock or Mars Stone) as I'm assuming that Underground Biomes will not be operating in those dimensions.

I think they'll have to be excluded via config, but that's not a problem.

Raduloket

Nov 1, 2014
I have no idea why this worked, but I'll mention it here in case anyone else is having the same issues with Underground Biomes Constructs and Galacticraft Ores:

In the UndergroundBiomes config, I set "InChunkGeneration=false" and "UBifyOres=false"
I removed NetherOres as well, but I can't verify that was ever part of the problem.

Some combination of these two things caused Galacticraft Ores to generate correctly in a new world, as well as Forestry, Railcraft, and other ores I hadn't much success with. It's not entirely clear why this worked, as it was just something I tried as a last ditch effort to make CustomOreGen generate coal properly(CustomOreGen was a poor solution at best to my original problem, as it helped generate Galacticraft ores again, but in such tiny quantities as to be near impossible to find).