Pipedream: Space station dimension working as the Nether

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
@radfast So what you're saying is to move what looks like the current axis point from the bottom (I'm only guessing this by the design) and placing it on the dish itself, like the moon buggy? Also, I doubt that you'd want the handle part of your saucepan included, but I might be wrong from you describing a Y-shaped arm. Could you include more detail as what exists at the meeting point of the dish and the pole to which it attaches to? In my interpretation, it is as this shows:
stock-footage-satellite-dishes-sit-before-a-colorful-sky-in-new-mexico.jpg

A Y shaped arm on top of a swivel. The arm rotates the dish up/down, and the swivel adds 360 rotation.

Hmm...maybe this is me thinking about what this new item could do, but let me add my opinion. Perhaps just like the display screen shows the Overworld, preforming a telemetry link allows you to do the same for the space station. Pretty neat, but let's keep going. Currently the short range teleporter allows for 250 block transportation. But what if there was one on the station, connected to a dish, and you had the same setup on the Overworld? I've seen a few people express wants for a short range rocket for space station travel. Alternate idea?

@Ezer'Arch The way I'm imagining this is basically the same as taking the advanced solar panel's base, removing the solar panel, and adding a dish where it was. Just like the panel did, the dish pivots where it connects to the arm of the base. But this arm is actually 2 arms in a Y shape as per the picture above, and they turn with the dish to allow 360 rotation.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I think we are saying the same thing, @dj3520

The "swivel" is the Y-shaped arm making 360 degree rotation.

If you look at the dish, on the underside it has a type of hoop or counterweight made of solid metal. The dish itself, although large in area, is constructed of lightweight / hollow materials.

The "arm" is making a horizontal axis or bearing (like the front forks of a bicycle wheel) and the dish and its counterweight pivot around that axis to change the angle of elevation.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this is how I think a medium-large one is built, or was in the 1950s-1960s which is kind of Galacticraft's "era". This image shows it quite well.

cambridge.jpg

A couple more:

2. http://www.biblelife.org/evolution-radio-telescopes.jpg (please excuse the source, the image is a good one showing the underside of a dish)

3. This is a pleasingly blocky looking one from phys.org

3-middleschool.jpg

For Galacticraft we need each moving part to be a separate model:
1. Dish with counterweight on the underside
2. Y-shaped arm
3. Base

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
That second source was a good picture to show the counterweight. Wasn't completely aware of it until then.

2. Y-shaped arm
3. Base

As for 3 moving parts, the interesting point will be where the dish and arm meet, because the dish needs to move both with the arm on one axis and on it's own for another.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this is how I think a medium-large one is built, or was in the 1950s-1960s which is kind of Galacticraft's "era". This image shows it quite well.
If only this were completely true, I'd travel to the slimeling store on mars.

EDIT: Not trying to stray from the intended topic even further, but all of this seems to be a bit technical to set up. And when I'm in minecraft and have to think tech, I'm usually holding a modem from ComputerCraft. My vote is if we go with my idea and make it possible to teleport yourself to a space station (moon mars etc. are "out of range") that a dish can also serve as a super long range wireless modem. Why? Well if I'm on Earth and something happens on my space station, I can have some control over it. Or maybe we could have ComputerCraft control some aspects of Galacticraft via an ingame lua api (like BigReactors does.)

Last edited:

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
Looks as though the Y extending from the base actually touches the dish and this point serves as a pivot. Small edit to the model but noteworthy.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Looks so great.

Just the part where the dish rests on the fork is a bit "crowded", I would like to "simplify" it a bit.

If in doubt, go for cubes - just put a cube in where the axle should be.

Also please can the whole base be cubical, not octagonal in cross-section. Can be cubes of 2 different sizes, instead of octagonal prisms of 2 different sizes?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@dj3520 don't worry about the rotation, the motion and rotation is easy for me to do so long as Ezer'Arch is kind enough to make it in 3 different models - I think that's exactly what he is doing. :)

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
2. Y-shaped arm
3. Base
Done. I need to know if each model must be in a separate obj file. The model is already made up of 3 separate "objects". Also, is the 1x1x1 base-block needed?

EDIT:

X70sUjx.png

7QiO4Dk.png

329 faces, not much? I could remove hidden/overlapping faces, unless meshes are required to be closed.

EDIT 2:

(unlisted video)

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Three separate .obj files please.

I think yes, include the 1x1x1 base block, that has to be part of the model otherwise the dish can crash into the ground.

We will need to test it in-game next to see if the size feels "right", it's possible you may want to scale up the size of the model, relative to the 1x1x1 base block. I should have time to work on this over the weekend but I'm also doing another GC thing at the same time with @SpaceViking. If all goes well, we can do both :)

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
329 faces is probably OK, especially as they will not be textured they will be just plain white (I think). 20 skeletons must have easily 500 faces and a modern graphics card has no problem rendering 20 skeletons.

Meshes are not required to be closed. The only thing that matters is that each face has its normal vector facing outwards (I think that means the corners have to be clockwise, but I don't remember), because a face seen from the "wrong" side is invisible and 100% transparent - basically that's how you get Cave Vision in Minecraft.

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
So a few problems. There's a small piece near the center.
2015-04-08_19.46.55.png

And it isn't visible from the other side.
2015-04-08_19.47.11.png

Also there's a problem with the base that's pretty obvious.
2015-04-08_19.47.21.png

But hey, unfinished product. There's no info on the wiki so I have to ask what it's supposed to be used for. Tried linking it to a display screen but no dice.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
But hey, unfinished product. There's no info on the wiki so I have to ask what it's supposed to be used for. Tried linking it to a display screen but no dice.
Totally alpha, that is, bare-bone. It has no function yet. I'm still working on the model yet.

tL4ihIS.png

(NPC for scale)

It will/may be used to communicate with space stations and other things mentioned in this topic.

Last edited:

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Oh my god yesh
Yeah, now please stop spoiling the surprise. ;)

j/k .... we just like to announce things when they can be minimally used in game.

----

As to the original idea of this thread: I'm figuring out a solution for the problem with multiple space stations and satellites, including those geopositioned ones, and protential UI/gameplay conflicts. I'd like to combine some existing features with this and this.

I just need some spare time to write them down.