A more realistic Mars. Maybe?

ZeChipmunkDr

Aug 8, 2014
Mexico
I was thinking about yall Micdoodle8 making Mars more realistic, by adding Mars dirt. It would be like Earth dirt, were you can use it for plating crops, growing grass, plating trees, you know what I mean, but this should only be possible if the Mars dirt is in a Terraformer bubble, or if a water source block is near. If yall wanted to add this I was also thinking about that only 1/4 of the surface's blocks should be Mars Surface Rock, and the other 3/4 should be Mars Dirt. Also Earth dirt should function as Mars dirt as well, if its placed on Mars.

I hope yall read this, and keep up the good work!

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im nowhere but also everywhere
This is actually a good idea, one that's been bugging me since I very first played galacticraft. Why is the entire surface of Mars rock when the real Mars has dirt, sand, and maybe some rock depending where your at. The only idea I don't really like is the terraformer being needed for Mars dirt to be used for planting and stuff but that can easily pacify everyone by adding a config option to toggle it for those who don't like it like that.

One thing I personally would like to see is the ability to terraform large scale areas overtime, similar to placing a grass block in a patch of dirt... the difference here is players would need to create a special moss to plant on Mars and after it has an adaption period it will start spreading very slowly to terraform the planet over a long period of time. Unlike grass blocks that just turn dirt into grass the Mars Moss would have a feature where if it covers a whole chunk then that chunk has oxygen and heats up to a similar temperture to the overworld, meaning the ice scattered around that Mars chunk would melt into water and so forth.

If a chunk has already had Mars Moss spread into it then the game can mark that chunk as 'terraformed' and if a player decides they don't like the looks of the moss then they can remove it or replace it without that chunk losing it's terraformed status.
Frankly the only reason such a terraforming method would use a chunk system is due to technical limitations minecraft has and the infinite terrain. If planets were limited then it would be possible to find another way to do it... but finite planets is nothing but a pipe dream.

Anyways, galacticraft is going for realistic and dirt on Mars is realistic(maybe sand/dust too) and in real life we have genetic engineering so it wouldn't be to hard to engineer a plant that can survive the martian enviroment and output oxygen to terraform the planet over time with greenhouse gases... it's getting a person to Mars to plant and take care of such a creation that is the issue. An issue galacticraft doesn't have since players can get to Mars.

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
Mars should have Mars dirt. Real Mars dose have dirt, but the dirt has no bacterium and is slightly toxic, so the dirt would have to be processed, like crafted with some organic stuff, and might have to be smelted to remove the toxins or mixed with something.

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Mars should have Mars dirt. Real Mars dose have dirt, but the dirt has no bacterium and is slightly toxic, so the dirt would have to be processed, like crafted with some organic stuff, and might have to be smelted to remove the toxins or mixed with something.
There are micro organisms on the martian surface, they aren't common and NASA keeps saying they got there due to earthly contamination but it doesn't change they are there or how they are there in the first place and I don't think the Mars dirt in the mod should need to be processed since thats just adding a tedium that isn't really needed in the long run.

Oh, another thing that could be found on Mars are small lakes or miniture streams since theres small trace amounts of running water on the surface as well as the ice on the poles. Maybe even find some underground rarely?

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
There are micro organisms on the martian surface, they aren't common and NASA keeps saying they got there due to earthly contamination but it doesn't change they are there or how they are there in the first place and I don't think the Mars dirt in the mod should need to be processed since thats just adding a tedium that isn't really needed in the long run.

Oh, another thing that could be found on Mars are small lakes or miniture streams since theres small trace amounts of running water on the surface as well as the ice on the poles. Maybe even find some underground rarely?
There is no real running water on the surface, but maybe distilling bacterial sludge could give you water? And the soil on mars dose not have any life forms, only a few near the probes we sent there, and i don't think earth probes ever reached minecraft mars. But i do agree with the processing part, it would be a bit tedious, i was referring to what could happen in RL

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
There is no real running water on the surface, but maybe distilling bacterial sludge could give you water? And the soil on mars dose not have any life forms, only a few near the probes we sent there, and i don't think earth probes ever reached minecraft mars. But i do agree with the processing part, it would be a bit tedious, i was referring to what could happen in RL
Theres ice, 4 seasons(including a martian summer and winter,), and an atmosphere... is trace amounts of running water that far of a stretch with all those combined? Also about micro-organisms, if they ARE earth contamination and we have been sending probes/rovers for years then it's not too far a stretch that they adapted and spread from the 'landing zones' since microbes can survive some pretty insane stuff like water tempetures that can melt our skin off on contact to tempetures as low as frozen nitrogen... pretty sure microbes surviving long enough on Mars to reproduce is more believeable then what they can really survive in reality :I

Basically long story short, you need a more open mind when it comes to the mod since making it too realistic and it just becomes Tedium Simulator xD