Abandoned space stations and satellites

S_Hacker

Jan 19, 2014
Antarctica
Many people in the "media" section of this forum seem to be creating a lot of large and pretty cool-looking space stations. How useful are they really though?

Near-earth orbit seems to be quite boring to be honest, there's really nothing to do up there. It would be nice if some experiments were added and there were "abandoned" space stations and satellites up there, or other stuff similar to that. None the less, it's currently just blank space. I think such stations would be better suited in the asteroids dimension (and Kuiper belt if you're using GalaxySpace)

I really only use space stations as buffer zones between outer space and going back to Earth. I don't really see any other purpose though, unless you just want to build a space station for the sake of building.

orobouros

Mar 9, 2016
I concur. In fact, I see 2 problems with the Space Stations as they are: Not only is there no real reason to build one, nothing you can't accomplish easier and earlier without one, but you kind of have to go to the Moon first to build a station that makes sense, since you won't have Air Locks.

This dovetails into the "why the heck do air locks require Moon resources" question. Obviously, I get the gameplay mechanics in play, but the Air Lock was a bad, bad choice for "reason to go to the Moon before Mars was released".

Even when you factor in other modpacks, it's frustrating. First I wanted a "Mystcraft Hub" so I could link to different spots in the Overworld from up in orbit. Then I wanted to build a station to "jump off" my first moon rocket, get used to working in vacuum before having to deal with mobs on the moon, etc. But it just didn't make sense to use Bubble Distributors on a space station. They feel really fantastic and odd no matter what. I think that a lot of people may agree that the air lock tech should be easily available with overworld materials, while the Bubble tech should be a schematic reward from a Moon dungeon or require Moon materials or both.

As for "stuff to find", unfortunately LEO is a pretty empty place except for what humans put up there. Anything you might put there for adventure gameplay might seem more in tune with the Asteroids than overworld orbit (Ender asteroids, etc.) Abandoned stations seems odd, since there's no indication of a tech-using civilization in the Overworld.

I have one Tekkit world with GC 2.x that is the closest I've ever been to "finished" with a minecraft world. I've played it for a year solid, and long hours at that. The base sprawls. I have outposts, tunnels, and QCraft portals everywhere. Mining laser tower, beacons, Atomic Science fusion reactor, all kinds of pets, a lavish bedroom and 5-bedroom vacation home in the nearest village. A huge Mystcraft hub, with every page obtained the old fashioned way. Fortresses in the Nether and the End. Farms upon farms. Every nearby village is built up, walled, improved, populated, protected, with golems and stables and cemetaries and roads between them. There's a huge mob zoo, ridiculous AE system, etc. For once (and this is really unusual for me), I even got into Steve's Carts for a farm or two. I've got a Galacticraft buggy with it's own garage in the overworld. Sprawling, sealed bases on the Moon and Mars with their own buggy garages, launchpads, astronaut dorms, fully-functional workshops with all the other mods machines. You name it, I've done it. But I never built a space station. There's an empty bookstand in my Mystcraft hub from the 3rd room I built in my base, set aside for it, but there was never a reason to do it.

Give me a reason, guys. You worked so hard on the stations, it shows. But hardly anybody ever bothers, 'cause there's nothing in it but "that looks cool". I can make stuff look cool on the other planets, too, but there's reasons to go there.

Apr 5, 2014
Germany
1. you don't need Air Locks. Oxygen gear and done.
2. Space Stations have a use. for example you can use them for the MFR Mining Lasers or for some Big Reactor's Reactor or just have them as a Secondary Base. i mean dude, be Creative! make your own reason! :D

i always build a Space Station when i got the Materials, to make it my Passive Ore Production/Processing.

orobouros

Mar 9, 2016
1. you don't need Air Locks. Oxygen gear and done.
2. Space Stations have a use. for example you can use them for the MFR Mining Lasers or for some Big Reactor's Reactor or just have them as a Secondary Base. i mean dude, be Creative! make your own reason! :D

i always build a Space Station when i got the Materials, to make it my Passive Ore Production/Processing.

That's sort of the point. Any reason you manufacture is much more easily, cheaply, or just better done without a space station. The mining laser is difficult enough to afford and power without adding the challenge of sticking it in another dimension. What I'm trying to say is that most common mod applications offer a distinct advantage, however slight, that you can't get any other way (or can't get as much of) than by building X machine or Y factory or Z farm, etc. Space Stations have none of that other than "ooh, look at the Overworld down there". It would be nice if there were more to it.

Apr 5, 2014
Germany
That's sort of the point. Any reason you manufacture is much more easily, cheaply, or just better done without a space station.
yea, you COULD put Machines and stuff on the Space Station, but it has no benefits when you do so. atleast not for most stuff.

The mining laser is difficult enough to afford and power without adding the challenge of sticking it in another dimension.
dude, that thing is easy to craft. and Power? just a good made Big Reactor's Reactor and you're good to go! (or Solar Power)
but i don't see the Problem with it being in another Dimension, just a Tesseract and it works fine.

What I'm trying to say is that most common mod applications offer a distinct advantage, however slight, that you can't get any other way (or can't get as much of) than by building X machine or Y factory or Z farm, etc. Space Stations have none of that other than "ooh, look at the Overworld down there". It would be nice if there were more to it.

you mean like Inter-Moddish-Bonuses? like every Solar generator from most Mods being more Efficient on a Space Station. or fast cooling for Rotarycraft Machines. or being able to build Rods of God ingame.

but well, i'll stick with the Stations even if they got no real reason to exist. they can look Awesome and safe some Overworld space by taking over some things, like Passive Ore Processing/Production.

orobouros

Mar 9, 2016
I powered my first Mining Laser with a Big Reactor. Yeesh, did that finally live up to the damned mod's name. I did not have a lot of fun demolishing 3/4 of my base to expand it both vertically and horizontally in two directions until it produced (barely) enough RF, even with very difficult to get exotic coolant. Maybe that proves your point, if I'd put the thing in orbit instead. It was still easier to find a spot for a fusion reactor. I guess GC having the only solar panels in my current pack doesn't help either. I usually love solar but it seems to have gone out of vogue in Tekkit for being "too easy". Rubbish.

Hmm, I don't have Rotarycraft, so it may be that in a different pack there'll be a reason I don't currently have. You've got my attention with the Rods from God thing. Details? Google's coming up dry.

Apr 5, 2014
Germany
I powered my first Mining Laser with a Big Reactor. Yeesh, did that finally live up to the damned mod's name. I did not have a lot of fun demolishing 3/4 of my base to expand it both vertically and horizontally in two directions until it produced (barely) enough RF, even with very difficult to get exotic coolant.
what Reactor setup do you have?
i don't know what size your Reactor has, but the Drill only needs 20k RF/t so this 5x7x5 (interior) Reactor does more than enough with some Cheap materials.

Maybe that proves your point, if I'd put the thing in orbit instead. It was still easier to find a spot for a fusion reactor. I guess GC having the only solar panels in my current pack doesn't help either. I usually love solar but it seems to have gone out of vogue in Tekkit for being "too easy". Rubbish.
well, the only reason for me to use Solar is just to make my Station look good, i mean some Ender IO Solar panels look soooo good. (you got no other mods with Solar? how can you even play without Ender IO, Mekanism or Extra Utilities? i can't play without them...)

Hmm, I don't have Rotarycraft, so it may be that in a different pack there'll be a reason I don't currently have. You've got my attention with the Rods from God thing. Details? Google's coming up dry.
I'm not sure if you noticed that the Rods of God where linked to Wikipedia.
I always put a Line under the Text that is Linked. for example when i talk about things like Superposition. (my signature is also Visibly Linked)
so, just click on that link and you should know how they Work.

orobouros

Mar 9, 2016
I built the Big Reactor in that world to power the Laser at maximum speed... and below sea level (I was a little nooby), so it needed something like 50k RF/t all on its own. That reactor took over my world and I got kind of sick of it. Poor planning on my part, failure to read up on the laser sufficiently before diving in.

New Tekkit is indeed very light on solar (which is odd, 'cause the advanced solar factory was very challenging endgame for the original, thanks to IndustrialCraft and addons). No Ender IO, no Mekanism, no IndustrialCraft. Extra Utilities is there but it's old and buggy, with no solars on top of everything else (like half the best items recipes just don't work). I've complained to the pack creators. There are EU updates over a year old; no reason they can't add them.

I know what Rods from God are as a concept. I just can't find anything about anyone doing them, or even simulating them in Minecraft. You know, since the Overworld and orbit are different dimensions and all. Still wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've heard of.

Apr 5, 2014
Germany
Oh wait, you're playing the Tekkit Main Pack?
damn, i thought you mixed some Mods together and were playing a self-made Pack.
isn't Tekkit Main on 1.6.4?
why aren't you playing some Modern Space themed Packs?
like Space Astronomy, or Galactic Science?
both are HQM but i ignore the book in Space Astronomy. :p
you can take a look at them.

i got sick of 1.6.4 packs...
so, i can't help with stuff in that Version.

Last edited:

kingMCchris

Jul 20, 2016
i think space stations are cool to build XD because there is not floor i guess it has a skyblock feel!
thats my best build and tutorial, there is a sneek peek to an unlisted video at the end!

Louby65

Jun 1, 2017
I built a space station to train people for Mars. I think it is a good investment for a farm and oxygen transport and also WHO DOESN'T WANT A SPACE STATION? ;-) Space stations also give you a good option for a sort of unlimited expansion and a storage place- should you be so inclined to create a chest hall in space.

S_Hacker

Jan 19, 2014
Antarctica
I built a space station to train people for Mars. I think it is a good investment for a farm and oxygen transport and also WHO DOESN'T WANT A SPACE STATION? ;-) Space stations also give you a good option for a sort of unlimited expansion and a storage place- should you be so inclined to create a chest hall in space.

You can build a farm on earth, and what oxygen transport? Earth has unlimited oxygen. You can also build a storage space on Earth too. What is the point of building all of that on a space station?

And why would you bother to train people for Mars? Just automatically send them... What do you have to teach?

Kuiki86

Apr 18, 2017
Idea: You have to build Space Station to create a starport/hangar for greater expediton vessels (mothership idea like in adv. rocketry or amun ra addon). Maybe the size of your ship is limited by the starport (kind of Multiblock?) -> bigger Starport -> bigger ships :)

KingOres

Jul 11, 2015
I kind of agree that a space station doesn't have a specific use but it's what you make out of it. A space station doesn't need to have a use. A space station is used for the same reason in most things in mine craft: to look cool. When you build your home you want it to look cool but really you can just build a whole dirt house and that is more efficient than using wood stone or other materials to make a cool earth base. That is one of the main game components of mine craft. To build cool things. It's also a cool alternative way to play. It changes the whole setting so you have to play the game differently in order to survive. And this may just be me, but it is mentally pleasing if I need to get something I don't have to go all the back to the overworld and can just hop on a space station and shoot back into the atmosphere

Tesik

Jul 25, 2015
I think the advangages of a space station are obvious:
Can be used for a private base
Solar panels are twice as efficient
Rockets depart fast and cheap