Space station falling entities, settings

Tesik

Jul 25, 2015
As some may have noticed, entities, including items, fallen into the void under a space station are killed, just like in any other void.
My suggestion is, that they should rather be teleported into the overworld dimension to where the space station was created offset by their coordinates in the space station dimension. The offset should apply to players too for as far as I know, the player is always sent to the space station's position regardless to xz coordinates in the space station dimension.

The second suggestion is adding a GUI to the space station base block. It could contain some useful information such as time, position of the station and options like coordinates to send the parachest to.
Further it could have an energy input and some space station functions like mapping or information transmission.

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
I haven't done it in a very long time, however I remember jumping off(totally on purpose!) my space station and parachuting into the overworld at "about lift off point". Which would put the station in a geosynchronous orbit. I like the idea of being able to get stats on the Station(time in orbit), but some orbital data is pretty boring in geosync. since they "should" never change. Power is a rough call. There are just too many ways to generate it and they're all different. They may be able to "poll" the GC Solar Panels, and Storage units/clusters and provide that information pretty easy*, maybe add that to a Screen(the station block isn't accessible in any station I build). O2 Production/Storage/Usage would be cool too.

*Easy is a relative term! I use it because I believe that they wouldn't have to create any new API's or blocks and the data is already available on the GC Blocks, so it's an internal call to get, calculate, and display said data. However I believe that Time and priority are the biggest factors.

Tesik

Jul 25, 2015
yeah, I know this thing with jumping off works, I just wanted:
1) the Overworld position to be offset by the position in the space station dimension as the player leaves it
2) to make it work for all entities, not just players
Among other things, it would eliminate the loss of flown-away items and make orbital bombing possible.

As for the station position, I meant to keep it as it is - geostationary, so just the x and z relative to overworld.
Enumerating the power/oxygen sources of the station is a bad idea, in my opinion, I was thinking about using a frequency module to link the station to a reciever which could then display data from the station (Online status, position, map of overworld underneath it, list of players on the station and so on). Each of these functions could be activated on the station and would consume some power.

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
The FreqMod already tells you where the player is and what health, blood pressure, food, and O2 levels are. It sounds more like you want to "drop" bombs/fluids down the gravity well and impact in the overworld and you want "true" x and z coordinates to ensure your over your target.

Tesik

Jul 25, 2015
I wouldn't bother with liquids that would be kind of complicated, just entities.

The frequency module link should work like this: first right click the station to select it, then link it to a receiver dish on the Overworld, then link the receiver to a screen to make it display info about the station. It would say the name of the station and then the state (offline or online) then, for online stations it would either show a map of the station or a map of overworld under the station or station data (position, list of players)

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
What determines if the station is "online or offline"? The FreqMod MUST be linked to the player by the player. Otherwise it's too op and gives an unfair advantage in a PvP environment. I believe you can currently view other dimensions with Journey Map, and if you have a JM server setup it will update in "real time"(or configured update time). GC doesn't currently "do maps" and I don't foresee that ever happening(It's out of scope). As far as being able to "drop" bombs from orbit with no defense available is op and gives an unfair advantage. You can't attack a space station from anywhere so it would make you "untouchable".

Tesik

Jul 25, 2015
The station should be online if it is set to online in the gui and has enough power. I only meant for a screen linked to a space station via receiver dish to have an option to list only the names of players present on the linked space station at the given moment. A link to a station could still only be enabled by someone with access to that station. Dropping bombs from a station wouldn't be as easy as it sounds and in could be defended by blast resistant blocks.

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
Ok, now I'm getting confused. You don't want power/O2 monitored but you want a station on/off switch based on power? How much power, and how do you determine what is enough? And you want to see where your "fellow" astronauts are via a screen?(which you can already do) But you want it on another/different screen?

The Station can not be attacked! So Any attack from the station is OP... Although you could use blast resistant blocks, what about the rest of overworld? Blast it to bedrock? Which is what would happen.

I currently use the receiver dish in an array for my VLA Radio Telescope, so they need to track, having it used as a communication dish to the station would make it point in one place and I'd lose my VLA :( And imho adds an unneeded layer of complexity to something that already works.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
As some may have noticed, entities, including items, fallen into the void under a space station are killed, just like in any other void.
At least in 1.7.10, it was possible to recover drops fallen from the space station at the same XYZ-coords, at Y=30 even, kind of glitchy. Not sure if it still works in the current version, I believe it does.

Skip to 33:50, result at 36:30

Last edited:

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
LOL that poor villager. Yep still happens,(1.10.2, GC build 177) except for me the station is at 0,0 and the items were on the surface at y=90.

Tesik

Jul 25, 2015
I think it's kind of stupid to search for the lowest clear block to spawn the items on. It would kind of make sense to seek the first block from top but isn't it easier to just spawn the items (and other entities) at Y=320+ and let them find their place?

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
I think it's kind of stupid to search for the lowest clear block to spawn the items on. It would kind of make sense to seek the first block from top but isn't it easier to just spawn the items (and other entities) at Y=320+ and let them find their place?
Talk to Mojang, that's the way the game works. Max height is 255 +1 :confused:

Tesik

Jul 25, 2015
I somehow assumed that the item entities which fall down from a space station are spawned in the world by a gc defined method. Did you mean galacticraft uses a minecfaft/forge method to do so? If so, please point me to the appropriate piece of gc code so I can understand this better.

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
I could be wrong but I think this is it. If I'm reading this correctly, then they call WorldServer, and if I understand that(from something I read a long time ago), it starts at 0 and works up till if finds a non-solid block, which is why you sometimes spawn underwater.

Source is here:https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galac...n/java/micdoodle8/mods/galacticraft/api/world

import net.minecraft.world.World;
import net.minecraft.world.WorldServer;
/**
* Gets the entity (non-player) spawn location when entering this dimension
* @param world The world to be spawned into
* @param entity the non-player entity to be teleported
* @return a vector3 object containing the coordinates to be spawned into
* the world with
*/
Vector3 getEntitySpawnLocation(WorldServer world, Entity entity);

Tesik

Jul 25, 2015
Found it:
Galacticraft/src/main/java/micdoodle8/mods/galacticraft/core/tick/TickHandlerServer.java

for (final Entity e : entityList)
{
if (e.posY <= minY && e.worldObj == world)
{
WorldUtil.transferEntityToDimension(e, dim, world, false, null);
}
}

In the end, this leads to the entity being transferred to the Overworld to the same coordinates it had in the space station dimension (x, z: usually close to 0, y: 30), if I'm correct.

The code in Galacticraft/src/main/java/micdoodle8/mods/galacticraft/core/util/WorldUtil.java, specifically the teleportEntity method is just ..., it doesn't even have common code and seems to assume all teleported non-player entities are spaceships.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Max height is 255 +1
More than enough. The highest natural mountain I've ever found was 150~160 blocks high.

In the end, this leads to the entity being transferred to the Overworld to the same coordinates it had in the space station dimension (x, z: usually close to 0, y: 30), if I'm correct.
X and Z are okay. It's the Y coord that is the problem.

Y=30 is the height that teleports players from the Space Station to the Overworld. The ideal would be the drops respawning at 255 or at the player respawn height and letting them fall towards the ground.

I thought it was fixed. I once reported that I had fallen from the space station while driving a moon buggy and ended up respawning in a ravine... or worse, "in a wall".

Extreme Hills, I think I just got lucky, it's solid down to bedrock, just missed the lava
My theory: the drops did probably respawn at y=30 but since it was inside a solid block they sought vertically a non-solid block to emerge. Some people use(d) this behavior to make item elevators.

Last edited: