Oxygen sealer

Mar 4, 2013
Canada (duuh!)
During my own experimentation, to make the sealer seal, place it next to an air lock, and turn the air lock on, so when you disable a distributor, the sealer seals the oxygen in, allowing you to breath freely :)

Aviin

Apr 7, 2013
I don't think airlocks have much if anything to do with the functioning of a sealer. If you create any enclosed space, set up a collector tied to a sealer, both powered and with a few leaf blocks around the collector, you can potentially get an oxygen-filled room.

I have noticed, and this affects distributors as well, that regardless of the oxygen available to the collector, the sealer or distributor will never get more than 15 oxygen. Because of this, you can only seal small spaces or make, at best, what I would consider to be small air bubbles. I've been playing around building a moon base and I simply can't get it safe to walk around in without oxygen tanks or in creative mode. No amount of leaf block will ever let the sealer seal, and if I use distributors, it takes HUGE numbers of them to make a space safe. I thought the sealer was going to be the answer to my problems, but sadly I've only been able to seal small test rooms; none of the actual compartments of the base appear to be small enough to seal :(. Perhaps there's a way to overcome that 15 oxygen limit by tying multiple collectors together somehow?

Aviin

Apr 7, 2013
Build 46 made the effects of sealers additive today! Nice! Off to test!

* EDIT *

After some testing (build 52), I can report that is does work (mostly). I did notice that newly placed sealers sometimes stay disabled unless I exit the world, re-enter, then activate them. Also, I have seen collectors that are attached to functioning sealers (ones that show as being sealed) showing their power status as rapidly fluctuating between having enough power and not (this was with an infinite battery in the collector's power slot).

Much to my chagrin, I've also discovered that while it isn't on the mod's internal list of specific blocks that are permeable to air (did a bit of disassembly on the mod and found an internal list), glass won't allow for a seal. I'm guessing that the mod also makes any block that allows light through it to allow air to escape (likely to handle things like rails and whatnot) and so accidentally includes glass (and ice, though that might be intentional). At least I HOPE that glass leaking air isn't intentional...

And on the subject of blocks that are permeable to air, sponge ISN'T. Seems like an oversight to me.

Oh, and breathable air block has a walking-on sound effect, causing you to hear footstep sounds even while mid-air in a jump.

Jake

Mar 11, 2013
I've been having a problem with getting the sealers to seal since the effect has become relative to the amount of oxygen input(worked with 0.1.33.37 did not work correctly with 0.1.33.53) I haven't tested with a smaller area, but I did try using 3 of them on one wall (the room was 14X14X4) and it still did not work.

EDIT: the outside of the building is 14x14x5, the inside is 12x12x3

Jake

Mar 11, 2013
It seems to be the .53 update. I've gotten it to still work with .50 but .53 isn't working no matter what i try. I haven't tried .51 or .52 yet.

EDIT: I've pinpointed it for myself. build number 52 is the one where oxygen sealers stop working at all for me.

Max5081

Mar 27, 2013
Build #56 doesn't work, either. Such a shame... The sealers were the B-E-S-T addition to the mod, being how they fix the ugly O2 bubbles sticking out of bases/station.

HOWEVER: In #56, the sealers work with SMALL bases. I tested, and they work with 2x2x2, but not 10x10x3 (Ten wide, ten long, three high.)
I know this because the sealers DID work when I was using #36, it sealed my base which is 10x10x3, but then saw the #56, and updated, and now the sealers do not work no matter what.

EDIT: Should I start a new thread to point out this problem?

micdoodle8

Administrator
Nov 12, 2012
Build #56 doesn't work, either. Such a shame... The sealers were the B-E-S-T addition to the mod, being how they fix the ugly O2 bubbles sticking out of bases/station.

HOWEVER: In #56, the sealers work with SMALL bases. I tested, and they work with 2x2x2, but not 10x10x3 (Ten wide, ten long, three high.)
I know this because the sealers DID work when I was using #36, it sealed my base which is 10x10x3, but then saw the #56, and updated, and now the sealers do not work no matter what.

EDIT: Should I start a new thread to point out this problem?

Two things that changed since #36 that would affect that is...
  • Some blocks (like torches, leaves, water, etc) will not seal as air will pass through
  • Sealers rely on the oxygen given to them. You may need more than one sealer to successfully seal a base.
Build 46 made the effects of sealers additive today! Nice! Off to test!

* EDIT *

After some testing (build 52), I can report that is does work (mostly). I did notice that newly placed sealers sometimes stay disabled unless I exit the world, re-enter, then activate them. Also, I have seen collectors that are attached to functioning sealers (ones that show as being sealed) showing their power status as rapidly fluctuating between having enough power and not (this was with an infinite battery in the collector's power slot).

Much to my chagrin, I've also discovered that while it isn't on the mod's internal list of specific blocks that are permeable to air (did a bit of disassembly on the mod and found an internal list), glass won't allow for a seal. I'm guessing that the mod also makes any block that allows light through it to allow air to escape (likely to handle things like rails and whatnot) and so accidentally includes glass (and ice, though that might be intentional). At least I HOPE that glass leaking air isn't intentional...

And on the subject of blocks that are permeable to air, sponge ISN'T. Seems like an oversight to me.

Oh, and breathable air block has a walking-on sound effect, causing you to hear footstep sounds even while mid-air in a jump.

Thanks for the report, I'll have a look at the stuff you mentioned.

Max5081

Mar 27, 2013
Two things that changed since #36 that would affect that is...
  • Some blocks (like torches, leaves, water, etc) will not seal as air will pass through
  • Sealers rely on the oxygen given to them. You may need more than one sealer to successfully seal a base.

Thanks for the report, I'll have a look at the stuff you mentioned.

Oxygen pipes, do they count as a solid block? My base now has 4 sealers, all less then 5 blocks away from eachother, and less than 3 blocks away from the base walls, and it still isn't sealed.

The airlocks are letting light threw, acting like ice, dimming the light that comes threw. I blocked off the airlock that leads into the base, and it STILL isn't sealed.
Should I record a video showing the base so you can tell me what I'm doing wrong, or screenshots, or...?

Lewis_McReu

Mar 13, 2013
I was wondering, how is the sealed/not sealed value calculated, and how is it related to the amount of oxygen the sealer can access?

Dladak

Apr 20, 2013
After reading the whole thread i still can't get any room to seal ...

How exactly are you suppose to place the sealer ? And what are the blocks non permeable to air ?

Lewis_McReu

Mar 13, 2013
You can place the oxygen sealer anywhere in the room you want to seal. If the sealer hasn't got the capacity to fill the whole room, it won't work though. In that case, place more.

To create an inpermeable room, you can use any blocks except for glass, doors and others you can watch through.
(there's more, but those are most notable). A closed oxygen gate thingy (can't remember the official name) also works.

The special impermeable blocks are the oxygen pipe block and the copper wire block. You can use those in your wall to get power and oxygen into your base. They connect respectively to copper wire and oxygen pipes.

Dladak

Apr 20, 2013
Ok, i'll try that. But i might be doing something wrong.

To test it out, dug a room underground, placed a powered sealer inside and powered it with a tree on the surface. The only potential hole is the oxygen pipe. And the status still says unsealed, although the oxygen level is 9.

Or maybe my powering is wrong: i've been powering everything with infinite batteries. I'm really new to this mod and i can't understand how to fully make the coal generator work