Air Tanks

chad444

May 31, 2013
I have to say, I like having to set up an oxygen collection system to fill my moon base with air, but maybe if you don't want to do that, you could put a small,medium or large air tank in the oxygen distributor and it would use the oxygen in that. This would be a useful feature if you we're just setting up an outpost and didn't want to have a big room full of trees.

Reactions: IsoMS and Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I like the idea of filling a room with air from tanks.

However, I think the current air tanks should be used only in the suit gears, since they'd be "too" small to fill a room, but they're big enough for an individual. The current air tanks go up to 270 air points; 1 heavy air tank lasts 30 minutes of play time, I guess.

That's my thought: You'd need to fill gallons of 1000 air points preferably on the Overworld (since they consume a lot of air), transport them in the space ship, and then you put the air gallons in the decompressors installed in your base, the air will be sent through pipes to the air sealers.

A thing I'd like to avoid is micromanagement: minor things that frequently keep holding me and stopping what I'm doing while I could be focusing on major goals.

----

BTW, what are the air points in the tanks? Liters, m³?

Last edited:

chad444

May 31, 2013
I think the idea of different air tanks for oxygen distribution would be a good idea. however, they would need to last a long time to minimise micromanagement. maybe if you built an air tank out of blocks and the mod recognised it as a tank. then it could be MASSIVE!

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
maybe if you built an air tank out of blocks and the mod recognised it as a tank. then it could be MASSIVE!
Mekanism mod has gas tank blocks that can be connected to the air pipes. Galacticraft could have oxygen tanks that work like the battery box. Instead of storing megajoules, liters.

In real life, a cylinder of air can store ~200 times its volume. The breathing rate is averagely 50 L/min.

Considering that 1 block is 1m³, it could store 200,000 L of air (*), which could give roughly more than 60 hours of breathing air (**) and fill a room of 6 x 6 x 6 m.

* - it could be less, once the vessel and valves take a bit of the total volume.
** - it can be divided by 72 to convert real-life time to Minecraft time.

chad444

May 31, 2013
Or maybe like industrialcraft tanks. They have their own GUI to show how much liquid is left. I suppose they could be used as a backup because they would have to be filled by something. I thought they could be filled from the personal tanks but that would get very tedious having to bring lots of them and slowly filling up a large tank.

Or maybe they could be filled when you make them? However, that wouldn't be very realistic.

flashman111

Feb 12, 2013
Mekanism mod has gas tank blocks that can be connected to the air pipes. Galacticraft could have oxygen tanks that work like the battery box. Instead of storing megajoules, liters.

In real life, a cylinder of air can store ~200 times its volume. The breathing rate is averagely 50 L/min.

Considering that 1 block is 1m³, it could store 200,000 L of air (*), which could give roughly more than 60 hours of breathing air (**) and fill a room of 6 x 6 x 6 m.

* - it could be less, once the vessel and valves take a bit of the total volume.
** - it can be divided by 72 to convert real-life time to Minecraft time.
Galacticraft is compatible with Mekanism, you can store the oxygen from GC in mekanism tanks

chad444

May 31, 2013
I have tried putting air into those tanks but oxygen pipes don't connect and the normal air tanks don't fill it up. I think those tanks are just used for liquid.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I have tried putting air into those tanks but oxygen pipes don't connect and the normal air tanks don't fill it up.
Because the suitable faces for pipes are the bottom and above. But my problem is different: I can fill up the gas tanks, but they can't send the air to the sealers and distributors.

EDIT:
off-topic: I noticed that all my copper wiring was replaced with coal generators in the last dev build.

EDIT 2:
After tinkering around for a hour or two I figured out how these tanks work:
- Their input faces are the bottom and above: connect here the pipes that come from the collectors.
- They output face is the one that has a gray square: connect here the pipes that go to the distributors. Use the wrench to rotate the output face.

EDIT 3:
My experience with Makinism Air Tanks was kind of "no way".
- A gas tank of 96,000 barely lasts for 2 or 3 minutes. A storage tank of 1,600 lasts for 5 seconds.
- I can't use gas tanks to transport air from the Overworld to a base. I can fill them, but if I break all air stored is lost.
- I could use storage tanks to transport air, but each gas tank requires dozens of them (60 precisely). It takes up a lot of inventory space and time to fill them all. To fill a gas tank in the space I still have to grow trees, and spend material to craft and maintain a room only for gas tanks (at least 10 to worth the effort).
- It adds a lot of micromanagement. I prefer shear trees and transport leaves in my rocket.

chad444

May 31, 2013
So they don't work very well. That means that either Galacticraft would have to be made compatible with those tanks or vise versa, or Galacticraft needs its own tanks. If you didn't like micromanagement you could use trees but it would be nice to have tanks just if you want them.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
So they don't work very well. That means that either Galacticraft would have to be made compatible with those tanks or vise versa, or Galacticraft needs its own tanks.
Not that they don't work well. They are meant for industrial use, not for a space project. ^^'

(@ 11:53 features the gas tanks)

In an industry, you want to work at the max speed to process and transfer material between the machines, differently from the behavior you want in a space station: you want your oxygen tank to last as long as possible.

Honestly, I prefer that GC has its own high capacity tank, preferably transportable. I don't like the idea of using extra mods that adds hundreds of items in my world (some of them duplicates) while I need just only one.

For now, I'm happy with my almost everlasting tree farms in my bases.

Last edited:

tihmstar

Jul 23, 2013
I haven't read every post (sorry), but i want to have oxygen tank,too.
I thought about having something similar to the battery box.
While collectors collect air, these tank getting air, but as soon as there's no air input, the tanks give their air to the system, just like the battery box does.

Jappards

Aug 2, 2013
oxygen tanks keep your oxygen suply stable, so i used a mekanism gas tank (i downloaded mekanism for the solar panels that give 2x as much power on a space station) to keep my oxygen supply stable, so i defenily want tanks to be added.

tpa_545

Sep 16, 2013
Great idea. And I think have an idea to easy do this: make it possible to reverse the oxygen compressor (it shoud be best if this was a new block, maybe named "Reversed Compressor" or something like that. and have like 6 or 7 slots to put air tanks in. so it dont run out of oxygen as soon as you turn around. :)

Feb 1, 2014
I am bumping this topic because it is the first topic that comes up when I google "Mekanism oxygen Galacticraft".

This is a confirmation that Mekanism air DOES work with Galacticraft; that means a hydrogen gen/electrolyzer combo hooked up to an air filtration system will work, or, if you want to get more technical (since water in real life freezes on the moon) the 90,000 units of oxygen that the tanks hold translates well into the 6000 needed for the max size air bubble; you can store up 10-20 oxygen takes to effectively power your base, and transfer oxygen containers that are filled to the moon or mars yourself.

This aspect, coupled with the Atomic Science mod, has allowed me to plan out entire massive bases, all powered by Mekanism, Atomic Science reactors, and more. This mod is TRULY meant to be played alongside Mekanism and Atomic Science; to the point that if you can only choose three mods, these three are the best choice.

If you are having trouble with getting the oxygen to transfer from the tank to the air deployer, remember that each tank has 5 sides that it accepts air, but only one that it outputs air; the front side is the output. Plus, it is also recommended to use the Pressurized Tubing from Mekanism to connect them.