Ideas for: Airlocks, Redstone, Space Station, Mod Compat. (and more?)

Formula350

Sep 2, 2013
I think this is a great mod, adding such a great element to MC. And while I could continue to praise it for awhile the main point is to provide some suggestions to further it's awesomeness :D

1) Airlocks
a. We currently have horizontal airlocks [in terms of building direction], and I've found you can make them fairly large in size (though can be finicky to get working if too large). I wanted to make a vertical airlock for two reasons: first, to provide a means of sealing off a room that is above you, or to create an escape hatch since I found trap doors (and stair blocks) to break a room's seal; second, to create a very large "bay door" to launch rockets through
b. Creating a means to open an Airlock door from either side with a redstone circuit has eluded me unfortunately, and as such has left me with making sure I enter and exit through the same door or else I'm locked out... lol I'm not sure if it'll be better to maybe default them as "closed" and then using a push-button to temporarily open it for ~5seconds, or somehow make it like a two-way light switch in a home where each switch can always override the other.
c. An Airlock block that also has a Minecart Track incorporated into it, allowing for space-mining operations! Cart runs over a Detector Rail and opens the door, second Detector then closes the door behind it. (lol Ok, this was a last-second addition, so I apologize if it's a bit silly)

[Coincidentally, I found that these two ideas are also shared by Superkalasnikov: "Horizontal airlocks, airlock switch blocks(Would work on both of the sides,just like parallel lever)"]

2) Redstone
Since solar panels provide 120V and Batteries only work in GC's blocks, perhaps provide a method or block to supply Redstone power. Two quick ideas, the simplest being flat out being able to power objects that require redstone directly by connection of wire, or by direct contact with a Sealable Wire block. Otherwise a Power-Inverter block that can either be directly fed power via copper wire or equipped with a battery alternative (up to 8 maybe, to create a bank of batteries for extended supply?). That way things like a Redstone Lamp (or "Greg's Flood Lamps") could, if one so desired, be permanently lit without the use of a switch or torch. Alternatively it could work in a reverse way of sorts, perhaps used in conjunction with a Trapped Chest or Tripwire to activate an Airlock, one that either traps the player or unleashes any manner of hell that is trapped behind it :D May also provide for circuits connected to Airlocks that allows them to be remotely operated from a single control room.

3) Space Station related
Micrometeorites in space: Perhaps not make them quite like real life, in the way that being hit by one = death, but perhaps a heart and/or random chance for air mask to fully break (removal from inventory if not a damageable item) or maybe cause to leak (consume O2 reserves at a very fast rate). If contacting a Space Station then something to the effect of damaging (destroying) only the single block it comes in contact with, which would in turn break the seal of the room/compartment in question, and maybe one block there-after. Recommendation for penetration depth to be subject to block type. IE: a Tin Decoration Block would be the 2-block penetration; an Iron Block may only be a single block of penetration; glass blocks could be up to 5 if all glass, otherwise if only 1 glass block then act as though passing through air and 2 glass blocks act as though passing through a single Tin Decor block; Block of Desh perhaps being impenetrable?; etc etc.
True zero-gravity: If gravity were to be totally disabled when in space then it would make the horizontal airlocks make more sense given the continuous free-fall state allowing for movement in all 3 dimensions. It would also make the gravity/magnet boot suggestions even more useful... especially if you could manage to get it so the player can wall on ceilings! :D Movement when in an oxygenated environment (Sealed room) would be like on ice, where momentum carries you, but controlled as if in Fly Mode/Creative. For any EVAs though, that would mean...
NASA Manned Maneuvering Units: These could be slotted in the same slot that Oxygen Gear goes in (and in this instance would also serve the roll of supplying O2). The same movement characteristics would apply as when inside a Sealed room, but you would have a limited time for external endeavors as you would have both a breathable air supply limit as well as an air supply for maneuvering thrusters

4) Mod Compatibility
Stargate Craft: A few days ago I emailed Greg (the creator) to see if he'd be interested in using textures I made for myself in place of some in his mod. At the same time I took the opportunity to point out that Stargates placed on the Moon (and since then, also any on Mars) are unusable. From my limited knowledge with things of this nature (coding, mainly) I can only guess that the reason is due to how the planets are classified Dimension-wise. The Stargate works just fine on the Space Station and worlds [Ages] made with Mystcraft. As such I'm not sure exactly who would have to do what in order to allow the gates to function on the planets, as I am sure Micdoodle plans on sticking with his current structuring format.
Mystcraft: I'm sure this would be rather difficult to accomplish and probably a far more fitting mod to use, but... Somehow allow for Mystcraft created "Ages" to function as planets, which would then show up on the GC Universe Map (Solar System at the moment). Not sure where they'd show up exactly, but maybe in just randomly created Solar Systems. ALTERNATIVELY: Don't use Mystcraft really at all, but just it's core world-creation ability, to generate the exo-Solar planets with ease.

My train of thought for this? Make for one potentially epic, and far more accurate, Stargate network :) Since it'd just be compatibility related like how Industrial Craft is, it wouldn't really detract from the core goal for GC. (I currently use both of these with more-or-less no problems, so far only the mentioned issue of Gates on Moon and Mars, so it isn't compatibility in that regards.)

5) And More:
- Stackable empty/full containers (Liquid Canister, Air Tanks, etc), or at least the empty ones like Buckets can be.
- An armor "mod" (in the form of an enchantment book I figure) for the Chest pieces that are offered by GC, that adds Electroluminescence. IOW you'd be a walking lightbulb, useful for cave spelunking on Moon and Mars, but not quite as bright as what a Torch offers. (Didn't Micdoodle have, or still have, "Glowing Armor" that did this? If not by him, SOMEONE did, which admittedly is where the idea stems from). From the looks of things there are some sort of "slime" like creatures on Mars, they could perhaps end up dropping a goo drop Bacterial Sludge, that maybe when fed an electrical charge would produce light. So basically, X-amount of the Goo, maybe some Glow Dust, Redstone Dust, all crafted together creates the book that enchants the Chest piece. Then also a Battery inventory slot could be added so it only is turned on when the battery is in place, or perhaps when a specific key-bind is pressed. This, again, could play well with the Gravity/Magnetic boots since they'd also require power. One could take this even further and make a new Electroluminescent block, the Galacticraft version of a Glowstone Lamp!

I could no doubt continue to crank out ideas but this is long enough a read/list as it is... :oops: lol
(I apologize if any of these were mentioned before, I checked out a few threads and basically only mentioned un-suggested things)

Last edited:

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
You know, you can add block IDs to a list in the config file to add stuff that's "sealable". I have MFFS 3.0 installed, so I added the forcefield block to the list. I use those to create hatches. Also, there's some other mod that adds "drawbridges", with can be used to make pretty cool hatches.

Formula350

Sep 2, 2013
That WOULD be a nice stop-gap solution, I'll look into that [block IDs], thanks :) I've used (and use) the Bukkit equivalent to what you're referring to on the drawbridges though, that plugin is called CityGates. I never did get around to animating my castle's drawbridge though heh Nevertheless, having an actual horizontal Airlock would be sweet as well.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I've used (and use) the Bukkit equivalent to what you're referring to on the drawbridges though, that plugin is called CityGates.

No it's not. I just looked it up. It's part of the Tinker's Constructs mod. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1659892-152162tinkers-construct/

http://hexxit.wikia.com/wiki/Drawbridge

I made a hatch that looked like one of those metal doors that spin open for my rocket to launch through. by making an opening 8 blocks wide and having 4 drawbridge thing configured like:

_▼
____◄
►__
___▲

Last edited:

Formula350

Sep 2, 2013
It's near enough the same, the means of accomplishing a goal differs but the outcome is the same, that's why I said "equivalent" lol In CityGates, to make a gate go up and down you use the CraftBukkit wand and mark two points, anything inside the points animatedly moves up/down, seemingly right into the structure, like a gate would. To make a drawbridge is more involved though, you have to manually enter points IIRC, but is why I haven't done it yet. The Tinker's Construct block is just a far easier method, except in order to get that would entail getting that mod and all the other things it includes. The more mods you add, the more crap there is that you'll barely (if ever) use. That's why I'm not too fond of Tekkit or Feed The Beast, well that and FTB takes quite awhile to even start up MC thanks to 115 friggen mods initiating, but also bogs down MC on the whole.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
It's near enough the same, the means of accomplishing a goal differs but the outcome is the same, that's why I said "equivalent" lol In CityGates, to make a gate go up and down you use the CraftBukkit wand and mark two points, anything inside the points animatedly moves up/down, seemingly right into the structure, like a gate would. To make a drawbridge is more involved though, you have to manually enter points IIRC, but is why I haven't done it yet. The Tinker's Construct block is just a far easier method, except in order to get that would entail getting that mod and all the other things it includes. The more mods you add, the more crap there is that you'll barely (if ever) use. That's why I'm not too fond of Tekkit or Feed The Beast, well that and FTB takes quite awhile to even start up MC thanks to 115 friggen mods initiating, but also bogs down MC on the whole.

The Direwolf pack only has 102 mods and opens pretty quickly.