Dark Side of the Moon

Feb 24, 2013
Another idea of mine is to make a biome where the moon is constantly dark, almost pitch black, and to get there you would need to build and wear an actual space suit due to the cold. The way you could do this since minecraft worlds are infinite in all directions is, make the biome spawn around a radius of the landing point of the player. Assuming the circumference of the moon is 10,917 km, we can calculate the block distance needed to walk/drive to get to the dark side of the moon.

Circumference of moon ≈ 10,917= 10917000 km Minecraft block≈3 meters
10917000/3=3639000 blocks
3639000/2=1819500 blocks until the Dark Side

This meaning you would need to make the "Dark Side" biome in a radius of 1819500 blocks away from the LZ.
You could even go in gradients, making the "daytime" light gradually darker and darker as you get closer, but since the sun effectively cuts our moon into 2 parts (light and dark/hospitable and hostile) this might be considered unrealistic. Also, the side of the moon you land on would constantly be light, so the night-time thing is a good idea, but perhaps change it to the time when the MC sun is behind the MC earth, and maybe boost mob spawns or turn off zombie and skele burning after the eclipse to still give challenge to inhabitants.

But I digress.

My idea is to have a dark side of the moon which possibly has new mobs, civilizations, maybe crashed ships or something. While this may subtract from realism, it could add to interest, and since we aren't sure what the other side of the moon could inhabit, you have incredible freedom.

Another advantage of this idea, is to give players a challenging, but fun chance to explore the other side of the moon and to colonize. This idea may also satiate the masses that are screaming for more content, and this way, you can create this fairly simply, let them explore, and have more time to code without worrying about taking massive input or losing a mod following.

Now, to flesh out the idea of the space suit...

For the entire suit, it would need to be thermal to withstand THE ICY BLACKNESS OF SPACE, so the first component of the entire suit is thermal lining. Simple. Make an item that is crafted the same as other armors, but uses wool and is unwearable without the proctective coating. The protective coating could possibly require plastic to make, so perhaps use a new block, the pressurized furnace (made by crafting a with furnace in the middle, piston on the bottom, surrounded by glass) to produce methane from coal, capture the methane in a glass bottle, and then the methane could be formed into plastic by crafting it with bacteria (a sugarwater bucket [made by crafting a water bucket and sugar] and filter [filter made by crafting one string with 8 sticks around it] in a crafting bench) or be turned into liquid methane (crafting bottle of methane with 4 snow blocks in a plus shape) for rocket fuel.

Well, THAT was confusing. Anyway...

The product of crafting bacteria and methane would be a piece of plastic (believe me, I had to resist the urge to over-complicate even this) with which you would surround the thermal lining boots, chest, and legs. TIER 1 COMPLETE! HUZZAH!

Now, tier 2 is MUCH simpler. Take the tier 1 suit and surround it in iron ingots on a crafting table. Simple. This suit would have similar armor value to iron armor, but probably more. Not more than diamond however.

Now, the suit helmet. I think your current helmet setup is good, and could easily be expanded on. Basically, all I would change, is the soft suit helmet has wool inserts made like a wool helmet, and you make the inserts, then craft the regular helmet and the inserts on a crafting table. For a tier 2 helmet, you hace a tier 1 helmet, and surround it in gold nuggets (radiation shielding) but it has the same armor value that the armor would have.

So, that's my idea, HUGE brain dump on you, so sorry, but hey, science.

Sources:
http://www.google.com/search?q=circ...ss&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DKUS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_suit#Soft_suits

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/from-methane-to-plastic-to-methane-without-waste/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_external_tank

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Meth...to-Redesign-the-Plastic-Industry-233062.shtml

Reactions: Blakemc and Zeal

Beerkeg

Mar 5, 2013
Why would I even land on the dark side of the moon? If I wanted to see the dark side I'd land on the bright side and walk/ drive. I don't really know how the moon works, but I'd still prefer it to be bright. I don't like darkness, I WANT MY SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS!!!

Lucas

Feb 23, 2013
My location is irrelevent
Why would I even land on the dark side of the moon? If I wanted to see the dark side I'd land on the bright side and walk/ drive. I don't really know how the moon works, but I'd still prefer it to be bright. I don't like darkness, I WANT MY SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS!!!
you. don't. know. how the moon works? how old are you? haven't you taken a grade in astrophysics? or are you just a yogscast fan?

Reactions: Nexonoid

MSS17

May 12, 2014
Unfortunatly I think I might have landed on the dark side of the moon if this was implemented. I am stuck there and can't go back to earth. I am sad because I made so many cool things and didn't finish them, did I mention I was really sad?

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
but... the moon shows EVERY face to the sun, not?
Yes, you are correct. The moon "shows" both faces, the Near Side and the Far Side, to the Sun. Dark Side was a misnomer as both sides of the Moon have daytime.

The Far Side is the opposite face of the Moon that can't be seen from Earth because "tidal forces from Earth have slowed down the Moon's rotation so that the same side is always facing the Earth": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_side_of_the_Moon

Last edited: