Movable Interplanetary Structures

Nov 16, 2013
Hello everyone,

I got this idea from the 'Archimedes Ships' mod and from the city of Atlantis in 'Stargate Atlantis'.
What if you could place thrusters/rockets or something like that on your structure and give it the ability to move on the overworld (like the air balloons in 'Archimedes Ships'), into space or to another planet.
This would also allow you to for example make a good life support setup and just put that in space instead of building it when you are in space.

I think this would be a great addition to Galacticraft, because it would give you a lot more freedom as to where you put your house/base.
The concept of being able to move your builds to wherever you want sounds really cool to me.

Donzaffi

Sep 28, 2013
In a Kingdom far far away
That isn't possible in minecraft as far as I know, and if it was possible would cause extreme lag because of all tile entities.
And even if it can work its a bad idea because it removes all challenge in building in space.
If you want you structures elsewhere use mcedit

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
That isn't possible in minecraft as far as I know, and if it was possible would cause extreme lag because of all tile entities.
And even if it can work its a bad idea because it removes all challenge in building in space.
If you want you structures elsewhere use mcedit

I could imagine ways to make it work. The actual ship/structure wouldn't actually move. You'd activate a device, load, and your ship/structure would be in a new dimension around the target location. You can probably do it manually by editing the associated DAT files.

The device would need to be balanced. Take a huge amount of energy and time to spool up. Maybe even scaled to the size of the structure you're moving. With a creative version for free/quicker movement.

It would work more like a "Warp field" or something. Distort space around your station to bring your destination to you, then turn the device off to return space to normal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive

Last edited:

Donzaffi

Sep 28, 2013
I could imagine ways to make it work. The actual ship/structure wouldn't actually move. You'd activate a device, load, and your ship/structure would be in a new dimension around the target location. You can probably do it manually by editing the associated DAT files.

The device would need to be balanced. Take a huge amount of energy and time to spool up. Maybe even scaled to the size of the structure you're moving. With a creative version for free/quicker movement.

It would work more like a "Warp field" or something. Distort space around your station to bring your destination to you, then turn the device off to return space to normal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive

That sounds better than, putting a few rockets on the structure, its like copy and cut, then you need to think about some other things, you need a Collision detection for the whole structure and a strong computer that can handle this all.
I can't imagine a way that works without tile entities and for that you need a very strong computer

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
That sounds better than, putting a few rockets on the structure, its like copy and cut, then you need to think about some other things, you need a Collision detection for the whole structure and a strong computer that can handle this all.
I can't imagine a way that works without tile entities and for that you need a very strong computer

It wouldn't make your structure appear on mars or something like that. Instead of your space station orbiting the overworld, a player could make it orbit mars or somewhere else. It should be pretty easy to do. The player spends a required amount of energy and turns the device on. The device has a long charge up time. Like maybe 20 minutes, but the block itself stays loaded like the Launch Controllers. If the player's still in the dimension when the timer finishes, they see a flash and maybe a load screen. During this flash and/or load screen the dimension's DAT file is modified and what ever variable tells the game which planet the dimension is orbiting is changed from the old one to the new one, and the player sees the destination planet when looking outside.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I'd imagine a spaceship practically being a teleportable spacestation. Using those for planetary travels would be convenient in their own sense, since you'd only only need some lander capable of return flights when visiting a planet.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I'd imagine a spaceship practically being a teleportable spacestation. Using those for planetary travels would be convenient in their own sense, since you'd only only need some lander capable of return flights when visiting a planet.
Except that the power requirements would be huge. There would also be the long wait time.

Donzaffi

Sep 28, 2013
It wouldn't make your structure appear on mars or something like that. Instead of your space station orbiting the overworld, a player could make it orbit mars or somewhere else. It should be pretty easy to do. The player spends a required amount of energy and turns the device on. The device has a long charge up time. Like maybe 20 minutes, but the block itself stays loaded like the Launch Controllers. If the player's still in the dimension when the timer finishes, they see a flash and maybe a load screen. During this flash and/or load screen the dimension's DAT file is modified and what ever variable tells the game which planet the dimension is orbiting is changed from the old one to the new one, and the player sees the destination planet when looking outside.

Ah okay, I missunderstood, you mean that the Space Station can change orbit, right ?