Possible to stop space station creation?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Thank you very much for your thorough testing, this is just the kind of thing we like to hear.

I don't think you need to ask your admins to test it much more: if it worked 3 times it should work 100 times ... the only additional thing which it would be great if you guys could test, though, is what happens if a client switches from Server A to Server B while in a GC dimension on Server A at the time (space station or moon) - and then later goes back from Server B to Server A again. Does Server B stay stable (without creating unwanted DIMs)? Does the client later correctly re-login on Server A on the Galacticraft dimension where he started?

If that all works then I think we can call this one 100% solved. I already included this patched code in the latest Galacticraft build (that's 2.0.13.1068 as of now).

You guys will then, I'm afraid, have to start the painful process of getting the modpack makers to include the latest Galacticraft build into the modpack.

In the meanwhile if you want to provide that 978 patch (test 3 version) to the players on your server, you're very welcome to, but I guess you would have to give it to all of your players to be sure everything is OK. (Have you tested what happens if unpatched players switch servers now that there are space stations, if they're not the guys who actually created those space stations? If that doesn't cause problems then maybe you can figure out a system where only your players who have the patched client are allowed to craft a rocket, though I can't think of an automated way to enforce that rule.)

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

Nitro

May 30, 2014
Switching from a GC dimension on Server A to Server B works great. Switching back from B to A also works just fine. However it returns me to the Spawn in the overworld and not the GC dimension I was in when transferring servers.

However, if I log out of the game in a GC dimension and than log back in I am still in the same GC dimension exactly where I logged out.

Thank you for being so helpful with this issue! Its amazing that no one reported this to you guys and I'm happy I could help.

Unfortunately there are several players(without the patch) who have previously created stations. Currently there are 4 seperate DIM's that are essentially auto created as players transfer servers and such. If I create a station with the patch client I can freely move around the Servers without issue. However, if a player teleports from Server B(where DIM-2/3/4 are always present) to Server A(where I created my station) they crash immediately in the same manor we talked about in the beginning of the Post.
I know without getting Technic to push a client and Server update there isn't much I can do about it. So using the space stations until than probably wont work out. But I am going to go to Technic like you suggested and maybe they can include this in their next Rec build.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I'll look at the "returning to spawn on Server A" issue but may not be able to do anything about that, so that may be something players will have to live with in a Bungee environment. (Probably shouldn't matter if you allow your players to /home to their space stations - ask me if you need details on that, the server-side builds after 1001 should also help with that.)

I am very grateful to you for sticking with me on this to a resolution, some people might have just said 'it's too much bother, we'll solve it by banning rockets on the server'. It's absolutely the commitment of the community that helps get all the issues resolved. The sad truth is micdoodle8 and I don't spend enough time playing Minecraft to even see the issues!

Re. the players (without patch) who have previously created stations - I think we have the theory that it is the presence of something in the player .dat file, coupled with the unpatched client, which is causing the creation of DIM-2/3/4 on Server B. I'm not sure about that though (I'm not seeing a reason in the code), just going by what you are telling me - in particular that the thing that worked yesterday to stop the DIM-2 from being created was resetting your own player .dat file.

If it is that reason, then I'm thinking I can probably make you a special server-side patch which resets the Galacticraft player .dat settings when a player logs on + disables players from creating a SS unless in an approved list of players who have the patched client. Would take me less than 15 minutes so I don't mind doing it today, given how helpful you have been to us. But, it's only worth doing that if we are sure that the following situation is going to be OK: clear DIM-2/3/4 from Server B; admin with patched client creates a new space station on Server A; unpatched players with fresh player .dat files can then smoothly transition from Server A to Server B without causing DIM-2/3/4 to be created.

Nitro

May 30, 2014
I will do some more testing with this scenario and let you know how it goes. Will be after I get off work so figure 6-8 hours from the time of this posting. (maybe sooner if the weather turns bad)

Its been my pleasure to help see this issue resolved, I love GC and what it adds to the game play and I don't want to remove it entirely over a relatively small issue that was this easy to fix.

Even if the tests are not successful with the mix of patched and unpatched players would it still be possible to implement a "whitelist" of sorts? Until the modpack is updated it is a challenge to keep the stations from being created, and even more of a challenge to remove the stations that do get made and than restart every server to stop the client crashes.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Yes, sure - but no point in whitelisting if you're in a situation where any space station on Server A, causes issues, if any unpatched player transits from Server A to Server B - in that case you'll just want a total ban on space station creation on both servers, until the recent update filters through to the modpack. I've already coded a config for that in the latest GC, see https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/commit/00f5ce965573eafe5e925aee9bc85550a544470c - so that's easy enough. And yes, I appreciate the irony that that's what you first asked for...

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@Nitro I've been doing some tests of my own (I simulated a BungeeCord environment by making a client which switched servers without calling the connectionClosed() methods) and I cannot reproduce the DIM_2/3/4 creation. I'm wondering if it's another mod or plugin doing that. Do you want to list the plugins you have on Server B? Multiverse or Multiworld would be the first ones I would look at here.