• I like it.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It's a bit lacking.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I dislike it.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I hate it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would settle for nothing less than casting it into the fires of Mount Doom from whence it came!

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
Just like your breath bar when you are swimming under water, this is an oxygen meter that will appear as soon as you remove your oxygen gear on planets without air, and deplete the longer you go without oxygen gear. When the oxygen bar is fully depleted, you know what happens.

SpwnX

May 11, 2014
I'd like just actually use vanilly breath bar (if possible without bytecode injections) , making it deplete as if you were underwater if no oxygen is present.
Anyways, that is a good suggestion.

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
Glad to see that one person thinks my idea is good. I guess you could simplify the idea by doing what you are saying, to.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I'm with obsidianpower790 on this one. The current system where the player takes damage immediately / within just a few seconds in a no-oxygen environment seems ok to me, and realistic. Being in space without breathing gear is not the same as being underwater, it is a whole lot more dangerous.

Also, a new bar is already being added in GC3 for something else, and I think we don't want too many bars...

IRL, going into a vacuum with no breathing apparatus would kill you quickly, usually in less than 1 minute. If you want to know why I think the usual cause of death is that all the moisture in the exposed parts of your body would instantly boil (water boils below 30 degrees in a vacuum) so that includes the insides of your lungs which would then stop working, even if there some oxygen in there. Keeping your mouth and eyes closed would be a good plan! I think you'd also need a noseclip to survive the full minute, as you wouldn't be able to seal off your nose completely without it, if moisture is busy boiling away. There's also the cold, depending maybe on what you wearing and whether you are in sunlight or not.

More reading: http://www.newscientist.com/blog/space/2008/06/how-long-can-you-survive-in-vacuum-of.html
And here's someone on a NASA blog suggesting that holding your breath is not a good idea, though I don't see a clear reason being given: http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html

Last edited:

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I think the vanilla oxygen bar shown as air bubbles to indicate the player's breath underwater could function with other types of hostile environments featured in GC. While in near regular pressure (where the player can hold his breath) it would deplete as if submerged in water. In vacuum or low pressure environment on the other hand, the oxygen bar should be flushed out with no way of holding the breath. If using the same damage system of one hearth per second, it would be pretty unforgiving considering the player would then die within in a mere 10 seconds of suffocation.

Of course, I don't mind other possibilities as well.

And here's someone on a NASA blog suggesting that holding your breath is not a good idea, though I don't see a clear reason being given: http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html

Quoting from the article:

Holding your breath is likely to damage your lungs, something scuba divers have to watch out for when ascending, and you'll have eardrum trouble if your Eustachian tubes are badly plugged up,

Namely, the lungs are susceptible to rupture as the gasses inside undergoes sudden decompression. The concept is comparable to how a balloon gradually expands (and eventually pops) as it floats further into the thinner heights of the atmosphere.

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
This is a good idea, i like it.
NASA experts say that doing so is not healthy. :x
Everyone knows Minecraft characters aren't healthy: Eating raw chicken, getting wet while living in the tundra, bashing in a zombie's face and thus risking infection...

Reactions: MoltonMontro