Tweak to the Daylight Cycle of space stations, moons and planets

Twylite Fang

Jul 29, 2014
I had a good thought today, while I was on the moon; why don't we have it so that the moon seems to 'rotate' in its orbit, like in real life? Like over time, the length of daylight shortens to nothing, cos you're on the dark side of the moon, and then after a time, slowly goes back to normal. But also, there's periods of no night either, so it's like you're on the actual moon, and you're orbiting the earth.

Also maybe give space stations the Earth daylight cycle as well, as if you're in geosynchronous orbit xD

Oh, and also making the Mars daylight cycle a bit more realistic as well :D Cos right now it seems to have the same time as earth.

Maybe to keep track of the 'time' remaining, have a new kind of clock, that only works for the different dimensions, which tells you where in the cycle it is? Like have a clock and a compass, as well as a basic wafer, and 4 compressed meteoric iron, with 2 normal iron on either side, or 2 compressed Desh :p That way, players can have a whole new experience, where they have to plan everything ahead by like... A month xD

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
why don't we have it so that the moon seems to 'rotate' in its orbit, like in real life? Like over time, the length of daylight shortens to nothing, cos you're on the dark side of the moon, and then after a time, slowly goes back to normal. But also, there's periods of no night either, so it's like you're on the actual moon, and you're orbiting the earth.
The real-life moon doesn't work like this. The moon cycle is not like the Earth's seasons. The Moon has no dark side, since it was a misnomer it was renamed to "Far side". In real life, the Moon always shows the same face to the Earth, but still both sides of the Moon have the same amount of sunlight.

The Moon has a day period of 28 Earth's days, the same as as its orbit length (Sidereal rotation period = Orbital period), that is, a half of it (14 days) is nighttime, and the other half (14 days) is daytime. The moon axis is almost perfectly perpendicular to its orbit (Earth = 24°, Moon = 1°) that the daytime and nighttime periods barely change during the orbit period, only on its very poles you can find the "length of daylight shortens to nothing, and then slowly goes back to normal".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon

Since the moon cycle on the Overworld is 8 days long, we decided that day cycle on the Moon were 8 days too.

The only thing I miss is the Overworld should have phases in the Moon sky.

Oh, and also making the Mars daylight cycle a bit more realistic as well :D Cos right now it seems to have the same time as earth.
Because it does. Mars day length is just 2.6% longer than Earth's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2014
Also maybe give space stations the Earth daylight cycle as well, as if you're in geosynchronous orbit xD
but the space station IS in geosynchronous orbit, because we can see only one face of the earth...
if you're intending that the earth should "rotate" around the station like the sun, this means that the station rotate around itself, and this is totally useless.
(for the second sentence i'm not sure, maybe I didn't understand because i'm not english. sorry. )

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
but the space station IS in geosynchronous orbit, because we can see only one face of the earth...
This logic is true but still it doesn't mean that the Earth (or the Overworld) can't have a daylight cycle. Geosynchronous orbit means -- not limited to -- that both the planet and the station rotate around a common center at the same rotational speed, that is, both rotate together 360° per day.

I think, what @Twylite Fang wants is that the Overworld should darken and brighten according to the day-night cycle, like the Moon in the sky.

Last edited:

Twylite Fang

Jul 29, 2014
Kind of yeah. Basically, not only should the Earth picture (which I SWEAR looks like Italy and Sicily) darken, but also the space station should have lighting that changes like the moon; at night, the Earth is dark, and light on space stations are muted :D