Redstone controlled spin thrusters (Control the spin!)

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
It would be cool too if we could get a hand-held or a block where we could control the speed, direction and whatnot of the spin thrusters.

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
Direction is changed by changing the spin thrusters direction. More speed can be accomplished by using more.
ComputerCraft computers can output redstone via command line and lua script.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Direction is changed by changing the spin thrusters direction. More speed can be accomplished by using more.
ComputerCraft computers can output redstone via command line and lua script.

You could have 8 thrusters: two on each side, 4 rotating clockwise, 4 rotating counterclockwise. You could write a program on a ComputerCraft terminal that controls redstone signals to the thrusters of the correct direction and the correct number of them to be on which determines the speed.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
ok nice ideas. We had planned at some stage to add a Galacticraft spin control panel which would wirelessly control them, but that would be a lot of work (would need a new block + GUI and a way of knowing which thruster is which, I am planning a kind of map as I don't want to have yet another block with frequencies). Redstone is more Minecraft and is something we can easily implement. I agree they should be controllable from inside your space station; the player shouldn't have to risk a space walk just to go adjust the thrusters.

I can imagine a situation where you might need to stop the spin to build a new external structure, then start it again - or maybe a player is having trouble flying in through an airlock on a spinning station?

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
You could have 8 thrusters: two on each side, 4 rotating clockwise, 4 rotating counterclockwise. You could write a program on a ComputerCraft terminal that controls redstone signals to the thrusters of the correct direction and the correct number of them to be on which determines the speed.
This would be fairly easy. The output is variable for computers for the strength of the redstone signal. Create a line going straight out of the computer on one side. Program that to be 0-4 for spin left. Hook up repeaters down the side of the redstone line (an analog to digital bridge,) and connect the repeater output to the thrusters. Repeat for right.

For those without computers, or for testing, the gold weighted pressure plate could come into play. Or for an interesting twist the spin could increase by a daylight sensor.
We had planned at some stage to add a Galacticraft spin control panel which would wirelessly control them, but that would be a lot of work (would need a new block + GUI and a way of knowing which thruster is which, I am planning a kind of map as I don't want to have yet another block with frequencies). Redstone is more Minecraft and is something we can easily implement.
This is why I didn't approve of a GUI. More code than it's worth. Adding redstone means using a vanilla feature most mods also interface with. It also opens up a lot of possibilities, such as spinning only when my MFSU has energy. Things of that nature.

While we're at it, can I request redstone-controlled arc lamps? Perhaps a vote on whether it's switched off or on. I'd have to side on redstone turns it off, since otherwise it would require redstone to work. Same with thruster. Default on, apply redstone turns off.