Launch Controler Help

Dwight

Sep 12, 2014
I don’t think this is a bug report, I think this is an "I don’t understand" report, looking for help or information.
All this time my group has not been using launch controllers, we just started last night.
Worked great for me, and a fun new way to land... I love it
Launching many times between the Overworld and Mars, bypassing the solar system screen and landing manually right on the launch pad
Made several trips that way, Fuel loader and launch controller powered by wire.. everything working fantastic
this morning just before I came to work I was upgrading my Mars base and had a problem with my launch controller, it would not properly set ( go green ) to my frequency for the Overworld home.
so I decided to just fly back normally and parachute in
My launch pad on the overworld has exploded, it must have happened after I took off, because I launched from there... no problem.
what do I not know that is happening?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Please give more specific details of what caused your launchpad to explode. I'm really looking for a series of steps 1 - 5 that I can do in a fresh world (spawning items in of course) to reproduce the problem. As soon as I can reproduce it, we can start to look for a fix.

Is the problem client-side only, i.e. you relog onto the server and the overworld launch pad is intact again?

Please also check this: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/1108
That issue log on the Github is the best way for issues to get reported, tracked and fixed.
At present I do know whether you have the same issue as reported there, or a similar but different issue, or it could be a gameplay / don't understand type of problem for example you did not have enough fuel in the rocket (see below).

---

Generally what causes explosions is a rocket running out of fuel, and crash landing. A Launch-Controlled rocket can run out of fuel same as any other rocket can, and it uses more fuel because it uses fuel on the way down as well as on the way up. If a launch-controlled rocket crash lands obviously it will crash onto the destination launchpad which is below it.

But, it could be your rocket had plenty of fuel but there's some problem with the rocket landing mechanism (which would be a bug) in which case I guess the rocket might be able to 'hover' above the launchpad without landing for a long time, until it has used up all its fuel.

If there's a bug which I'm able to reproduce, then obviously we will fix it as soon as we possibly can.

Last edited:

Dwight

Sep 12, 2014
I will try, the problem is, I didn't see the explosion, only the results of it, Im afraid what I will say wont help, but in the future I can try to record stuff as if it is a bug.

I didn't think this was an issue, I thought something happened that I didn't understand, I didn't realize I was reporting a bug.

I have a base on the Overworld, with fuel and Launch controller connected to power by wire

My over world launch controller frequency is set to 3 ( my favorite number and one I wont forget )

I launched to mars with my launch controller destination set to frequency 333 ( mars launch pad frequency )

Launch... no problem, land on mars... no problem

I fiddle around on mars for a day or three, then on return I check my Mars launch controller before I launch but the destination number 3 is listed in red ( not green ) I cannot figure out why it wont register my Overworld launch controller frequency

So I disable the launch controller and return to the Overworld to parachute down

the Launch pad was a mess, it looked like a couple of creepers had exploded on it ( which is impossible ) , launch pad gone, controller gone, a lot of the blocks under the pad also destroyed. it looked as if there had been an explosion.

I sat there laughing and wondering what I didn't know that caused this... hard landings previously that didn't destroy the launch pad?

I just didn't know.

But whenever it exploded, it was not while I was on it.

I wonder if one of my other players tried to land on it and failed.... I really don't think so... but I suppose it is not impossible. I did have one other player that is experimenting with Launch controllers, and he did lose a rocket by accident ( launched without him on it ) while figuring stuff out, but that was a thousand blocks away

I am sorry I don't have more, and I am sure this is not enough to go on.... but I will read what you recommended.

I didn't realize this was a bug.... I thought I was my own lack of knowledge or poor piloting my first couple of landings, I thought I was reaching out for information because I am fairly clueless, else I would have put this post in the support forum... sorry about that.

anyway bug or not... we are having an absolute blast :)

Literally

Dwight

Sep 12, 2014
Not the same issue

I never lost a rocket... and I landed right where I was supposed to

But sometime between my taking off from the overworld, to when I tried to return, that launch pad exploded.

I will grill my other players and see if there could be another cause :)

Dwight

Sep 12, 2014
It happened again, I just logged into the game, in site of my Tier 3 spaceship on the overworld

the launch sound was going, and the ship exploded as I logged in

I was not on this ship or doing anything with it.

I suspect it is the initial start up of a chunk with a launch controller

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Thanks that's useful info, something I can maybe test.
Please try GC build 226 or 227 though, there are launch controller improvements in these latest builds.

Dwight

Sep 12, 2014
are there.. I will do that :)

I love the controllers I really do

I am getting ready to purchase a hosted server.... I am tried of running my family and friends server on my own computer and the client on top of it.

We are going to run Galcticraft and Mekanizm

I have been running tests, I disabled Tin and Copper in Mekanizum as Glacticraft already generates it, and the last thing I need to figure out is Osium and getting the sensor goggles to see it... I can see where to put the line in the config file... but I cant seem to get the right combo

mekanizm:eek:sium_ore didn't work