Air-lock door pane could get its own texture

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
[This is a low priority suggestion]

Currently the air-lock door pane shares the same texture of Tin Decoration Block (deco_aluminium_4.png).

I would like to customize the air-lock door pane without affecting the Tin Decoration Block, used on the floor as shown in the image below.

2013-11-04_23.16.39.png

Last edited:

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
(Wow, I was looking at other forums you posted in earlier xD Also, your base setup looks neat.) Truthfully, I agree with this. The Tin Decor. Block isn't a bad texture but the airlock could look better with a custom one. It's probably already being worked on though along with the many other things.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
As you can see here: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.p...th-galacticraft-and-bibliocraft-support.4583/, I've been working on a resource pack/patch that supports some Galacticraft elements, slowly but still....

I'd like to be able to customize the air lock pane without affecting the blocks used in the building. I don't think it would need 2 different graphics, visually saying, but at least 2 different files (which can be the same image), one for air locks and other for building blocks.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
If someone wants to make a nice closed-airlock-door block texture, as a 32x32 .png, and post it in this thread or send it to me some other way, I will include it in the mod - will take me less than 5 minutes to update the code, it's an easy fix.

I think it should be a dark-ish grey colour to match the airlock frame but not as dark as that. I don't like the yellow/block cross hatching (Ez's screenshot) for the airlock, I would want it one colour only.

If anyone wants to get fancy, it can maybe have some kind of diagonal or step-wise lines on it (colour matched), as long as the blocks tessellate OK bearing in mind the airlock frame might be 3x3 or larger.

My own concept of the airlock is it works with sliding plates like a camera shutter:
Underststanding-Shutter-speed-5.jpeg

It's possible I will code something some time which draws it like that instead of using blocks at all - I would find that fun to do and I'm getting better at making in-game models (see: Display Screens) but absolutely no promise that I will find time to get round to this, I have approximately 100 things on my GC to-do list.

Reactions: Vigilantecow

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Perhaps something like this for a start:

I'm personally not entirely sure about the industrial panel style. Maybe a more flat and seamless design would be better?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Hey @Space Viking :)

I think simpler - most important it needs to look ok when blocks are joined up into a larger size of door.

How about like 1/4 of this one which seems achievable in Minecraft:
turbocad-mac-pro-airlock1.jpg

If the texture has one diagonal like that, I can look at alternating the orientation of the texture between adjacent blocks, to make this with a 2 x 2 size of airlock:
/\
\/

3 x 3 would be quite ugly:
\/\
/\/
\/\

4 x 4:
/\/\
\/\/
/\/\
\/\/

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Let me try:

(images removed, no longer necessary)

Those textures are unused graphics of a resource pack by TheSparko.

Last edited:

JakXLT

May 16, 2014
Personally it think it should have connected textures and different blocks for side, bottom, top etc etc so that a really cool looking air lock hatch can be made at any size, instead of this repeated texture.

More than that, I don't like how the Air lock, which is supposedly metal, just up and vanishes like that. There should be some kind of animation to it, like in MalisisDoors mod.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Sounds like a cool idea, @radfast :cool:

I did quickly create a basic texture for the proposed idea:

gsiBaaB.png

2x2 with two alternate configurations:

FBKFnv7.png
UaxvitU.png

4x4:

Q67pgmx.png

But yeah, 3x3 and other odd numbered dimensions do cause a symmetry issue using this method. Perhaps multiple texture types could be implemented for that?

Here's two examples:

kDV6CaN.png
Uo7PsFo.png

Potentially there could be a specific texture for edges and corners, while any inside could use a single seamless texture making the center appear as one single panel:

DRA9IYr.png

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Wowee, nice textures, that is exactly what I had in mind. You have done it so nicely, the way they naturally join up in 2 x 2 and 4 x 4.

I like it a lot, and we will definitely include this in the game.

I will now have a think about block rendering code and how easy it will be to have different textures for central panels of a 3 x 3 (etc) door. Would you mind sending me all of the above variants of that texture as individual .pngs so I can try some things out?

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Of course!

These texture still are just some cheap mockups though. The finished ones will be weathered and completely front-lit due to their variable orientation. I finished the first as a comparison and reference on what to expect:

gsiBaaB.png
ffDZyo0.png

The rest of the textures:

JbqD6Xz.png

1VUvEQd.png

97mmx0K.png

l4tQwWk.png

The two last textures are just extras and completely optional in favor to the flat one. A theoretical application of the last one:

B8mMaS0.png

I'll adjust and finish whatever type of remaining texture per request.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Awesome looking textures!

I was wondering, would it be possible to have variants of it (selectable through the airlock controller)?

Looking at those textures made me think that it might be really cool if the depressed sections were glass with the bars running through it. Would make for beautiful spacey see-through doors windows options.