When is it daytime on the Moon?

Wander

Nov 16, 2014
Hi. I'm a long time lurker of the forum and decided to finally make an account because something really bugs me.

It's really hard to tell what time it is on the moon and trying to go there while it's still light out seems to be a guessing game. I want to know, is the time on the moon in any way linked to the lunar phases and if so can we please put an image or some info on the wiki to indicate what phase = what time. If not is there some other way you can tell what time it is on the moon that you all use?

Wander

Nov 16, 2014
Have you looked through this page? I think the information here covers the topic pretty well.
I have but this really isn't helpful. It only tells me what time value = day or night on the moon. And that's pretty useless info after you've played for months and the time is probably in the million value.

Also it says 1 moon cycle is 8 overworld days but as far as I'm aware there is no way to tell what overworld day you're currently in.

Last edited:

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I have but this really isn't helpful.(...)

Also it says 1 moon cycle is 8 overworld days but as far as I'm aware there is no way to tell what overworld day you're currently in.
You don't need to know absolute game time, just the moon phases:

The Moon's day-night cycle is 2h 40min long, equaling 8 Overworld days. The daytime on the moon lasts from full moon to new moon (4 Overworld days, equaling 1h 20min) and, logically, the nighttime lasts from new moon to full moon.
http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Moon#Day-night_cycle, paragraph 1

The values are for those who want to mess around with command blocks or are server admins/OP.

Wander

Nov 16, 2014
So they are linked to the phases? Also I have a really hard time telling what phase is what. I know that full moon is the whole moon but looking at this image I see 2 new moons and I don't know if this is the proper order.
Moon_Phases_dev1.png

EnderSpace

Oct 29, 2013
The Edges of Space
@Wander the numbers is the moons in
the picture you post
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
Edit : here is what i mean
٢٠١٤-١١-١٦ ١٢.٤١.٤٩.png

1. Is the sunrise so the best time to travel to the moon is when its full moon.

2. Its about 20 minute after the sunrise

3. Is daytime where is the sun in the center of the sun

4. Is sunset about 60 minute after sunrise

5. Is the start of night

6. Is about 20 minute after ..... the start of night :D

7. Is Nighttime where is the night is in his middle time

8. Sunrise and the end if Night

Here is helpful links
GC Moon
: http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Moon

Minecraft Day-Night Cycle :http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Day-night_cycle

Last edited:
Reactions: Wander

Wander

Nov 16, 2014
Thanks, that info makes sense. I built a display screen because I thought maybe there would be something on there that would tell you moon time but there wasn't.

Now for the next problem. Finding a way to easily view the moon phase without spending weeks on yet another build. Oh who am I kidding, I'm gonna spend weeks on another build whether I want to or not.

Wander

Nov 16, 2014
I can do that, but my next problem is that mobs are everywhere. I did a thorough job on the caves under my base so the second it's dark enough mobs are on every block in sight (not literally but there's a whole lot). My buildings have been creeped enough for me to sleep everytime it's night. I am in the process of installing a lighting system but it's taking time. What I have been doing is climbing up the mountain behind my base and waiting to see what kind of moon it is that night, if it's not the right one I go afk for about 5-10 minutes and check again, repeating the process till it's the right moon. Anyway, I'm derailing this thread (which as a former moderator on other sites bugs me like nothing else) so I'll try not to post anymore on the topic (seeing as my question has been answered) in case we somehow get on to talking about global politics or baking.

EnderSpace

Oct 29, 2013
The Edges of Space
I can do that, but my next problem is that mobs are everywhere.
Turn Diffuclty to peacful or make Arc Lamp , because the moon in night is darker than the overworld
. What I have been doing is climbing up the mountain behind my base and waiting to see what kind of moon it is that night, if it's not the right one I go afk for about 5-10 minutes and check again, repeating the process till it's the right moon.
The Moon's day-night cycle is 2h 40min long, equaling 8 Overworld days.
you shoould have a watch or anything , so moon is about 3 hours - 20 min , since you know that no need to climb mountain ,
also try changing your brightness some time the dark look likr light. Also here is helpful commands

Time and Conversions
  • Lunar Sunrise = 1st Overworld day sunrise =/time set 0000 = real time: 00h00min
  • Lunar Noon = 3rd Overworld day sunrise =/time set 48000 = real time: 00h40min
  • Lunar Sunset = 5th Overworld day sunrise =/time set 96000= real time: 01h20min
  • Lunar Midnight = 7th Overworld day sunrise =/time set 144000 = real time: 02h00min
  • Lunar Sunset = 9th Overworld day sunrise =/time set 192000 = real time: 02h40min
Note : Copied from Galacticraft Wiki

Wander

Nov 16, 2014
Peaceful feels like cheating to me. Some people are okay with it but I feel it's just a cop out for when you're going to die. If a creeper is about to blow me up, I'd rather take the beating then change the difficulty.

The Arc lamp is something that requires me to go to mars. And I've already gone through 2 moon dungeons with just buggy schematics (yeah, fuck you too game). I've found a 3rd dungeon about half a moon day's walk from spawn/landing area but I haven't explored it yet and can't till I've finished some work tomorrow.

As for commands I'm in the same boat as changing difficulty. Thanks for your help though.

EnderSpace

Oct 29, 2013
The Edges of Space
Peaceful feels like cheating to me. Some people are okay with it but I feel it's just a cop out for when you're going to die. If a creeper is about to blow me up, I'd rather take the beating then change the difficulty.

The Arc lamp is something that requires me to go to mars. And I've already gone through 2 moon dungeons with just buggy schematics (yeah, fuck you too game). I've found a 3rd dungeon about half a moon day's walk from spawn/landing area but I haven't explored it yet and can't till I've finished some work tomorrow.

As for commands I'm in the same boat as changing difficulty. Thanks for your help though.
your welcome , anything else

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Anyway, I'm derailing this thread (which as a former moderator on other sites bugs me like nothing else) so I'll try not to post anymore on the topic (seeing as my question has been answered)
It's not longer an issue. I've just split the topic. It's good to have a topic like this one for beginners to find.

I've made some edits on the Moon article: http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Moon#Day-night_cycle

Last edited: