[Galacticraft]: Cannot construct PacketSimple with null data, this is a bug.

TheVividYoshi

Nov 27, 2014
Hello! I am a long-time Galacticraft User, and I have just encountered this problem:
[Galacticraft]: Cannot construct PacketSimple with null data, this is a bug.
Here is the crash report:
http://pastebin.com/PyRJiKQw

What I did before it crashed, was I parachuted down to earth. I landed, and my hand was missing (first person.) I thought nothing of it, so I switched to a block, and the game crashed with that error.

From what I have read, this is a general network error. I get kicked with "Server closed.", and then crash.

Any help would be appreciated, as this world is shared with my friend (over LAN), and he would be pretty upset if I can't get it back.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Looking at your crash report, this is caused by a Short Range Telepad which has not been correctly set in the world.

I do not know exactly how this can happen (as Galacticraft's own code sets it correctly in the world). I would guess the three most likely causes are:

* you used WorldEdit or MCEdit or something to change the map

* a mod moved the blocks in your base in-game - maybe a MFFS force field pushed it, or Archimedes Ships or something like that?

* your server was stopped (or crashed) exactly in the middle of a map save when it was saving the chunk with that Telepad.

Any ideas which of those it could be?

Anyhow we can try to make a fix for this in the next Galacticraft update (so that the Telepad can fix itself even if it is wrongly set) but that won't be for a few days, maybe Saturday night.

For now, the error will happen every time your server loads the map chunk which has that problematic Telepad in it. Does your server start if you do not log in your own player? You can maybe fix things yourself in three ways.

1. edit your player.dat file (while you are offline, using NBTExplorer or some other tool) to change the position of your player to some other spot in the overworld far from that place, you will also need to edit any other players who are trying to login in the same location.

2. figure out the coordinates of the chunk where the telepad is - you only need them approximately, actually you are looking for the region here - then use Dinnerbone's calculator (search in Google) to figure out the region file, and delete that region from the world save folder. It's quite drastic - it will delete any bases which are in that region, and reset the world to "new" there, so if you have player bases there then I suggest you make a proper backup first. You will be able to roll the map back to that backup after we update Galacticraft.

3. use MCEdit or a similar tool to delete the Telepad blocks when the server is offline - this is a neat surgical approach, but you will probably need some experience with MCEdit to do it right, because MCEdit doesn't work too well with modded blocks.

If you don't fancy any of those then I'm sorry you will just need to wait a couple of days until we push an update.

TheVividYoshi

Nov 27, 2014
As far as I know, I don't have any Short-ranged telepads, I only use the telepad mod for that.

I don't know how I would start the server without signing in (Singleplayer, with Open to LAN)
I am fine with waiting, I am taking a bit of a break anyway, but thanks for the fixes!

Buzzrocket

Jul 8, 2014
USA,NC
I don't know why but I cannot download ANY of the files. Not only that but when I went to Skydaz and got the mod installer for it...it had some major problems. I think I know what is going on, I have not been on MC for a while so I forgot I needed to get on forge profile to use Galaticraft. So I got onto my world and the mods freaked out and crashed. So if you could get those download files working I would thank you a thousand times.

Matthew A

Nov 9, 2014
Wisconsin USA
mattparks.net
I don't know why but I cannot download ANY of the files. Not only that but when I went to Skydaz and got the mod installer for it...it had some major problems. I think I know what is going on, I have not been on MC for a while so I forgot I needed to get on forge profile to use Galaticraft. So I got onto my world and the mods freaked out and crashed. So if you could get those download files working I would thank you a thousand times.
I cant download any files eather!

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@TheVividYoshi somebody made a Short Range Telepad on your server for sure, that's a Short Range Telepad which is crashing.

The download site is down right now, please try it again later today. Once that gets fixed, I hope we will have a new build of Galacticraft up late tonight or on Sunday.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
New version is 234.

It's available on the downloads page now. Any problems with it, let me know.