Planet-based ore densities

Joe

Dec 27, 2014
Mars should be rich in iron, other planets/moons should be rich or rare in certain ores based on their composition. This idea is loosely already in play, but I was disappointed to see that all of the celestial neighbors seem to be quite barren in terms of ores. Especially Mars, the planet is so rich in iron it is red, yet there is barely any iron ore when I mine it out using a buildcraft quarry.

Reactions: Vigilantecow

LividPumpkin

Nov 8, 2013
Mars should be rich in iron, other planets/moons should be rich or rare in certain ores based on their composition. This idea is loosely already in play, but I was disappointed to see that all of the celestial neighbors seem to be quite barren in terms of ores. Especially Mars, the planet is so rich in iron it is red, yet there is barely any iron ore when I mine it out using a buildcraft quarry.
Good idea but mars rich in iron oxide more than iron ores

sndeang51

Jan 18, 2015
Well if you wanted to go to extreme accuracy with the whole iron oxide thing, maybe it could be mined but then put through a special machine that would separate that Iron from the oxygen. This would be similar to the newer method of how Methane fuel is produced.
Equation for machine (-> means the machine turning the iron oxide into the end result): (Iron oxide's chemical formula) Fe2O3 -> 2 iron ingots and 3 Oxygen units
You could then pump the oxygen into a storage tank/whatever machine needs oxygen and take the iron for whatever you need it for.

Wikipedia article on Iron Oxide

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Mars worldgen needs plenty of love in my opinion, needs mineral strata, canyons, boulders, sand and a wider range of ores. Probably a project for later this year or GC4. Also needs more machines and recipes for making resources from Mars minerals. Really I want to end up in a situation where players can simulate building a self-sufficient Mars colony which should be very challenging (this also ties in with my ideas for hard mode).

Meanwhile players, server owners and modpack creators can increase the levels of any ore - including GC ores - to custom levels fairly easily using http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Oregen You would need to re-generate the terrain after changing those settings of course.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch