Galacticraft cross-mod energy conversion

Pyure

Jan 19, 2015
Greetings and salutations!

One problem I am seeing lately while trying to integrate GC into modpacks is energy conversion via the Energy Storage (Module/Cluster). This mod has an excellent option to let us specify energy conversion ratios in the config, but (somewhat unfortunately) the ratios are forced bi-directional (4:1 is always 1:4) . I'd like to further see an option to apply losses to energy conversion so that we can make "some machines better than others" at converting energy while removing infinite power loops.

Specifically, and extremely simply, I'd love to see a configuration option added in the config file where the ratios are specified (and whose name escape me at the moment) for a conversion efficiency, expressed as a percentage (a floating point or int 0-100 would suit) defaulting to 100% efficiency.

If set to 50%, then converting 1EU->4RF would instead net you 2RF. To convert RF to eu, instead of spending 4RF you'd spend 6RF. Converting back and forth repeatedly would ultimately and eventually destroy a given amount of energy.

I did not see anything like this suggestion in Frequently Pestering Suggestions area. A search of the forum gave me this discussion as the closest approximation, although my suggestion is (by far) the simplest to implement.

All of the above is notwithstanding that the block wasn't intended as an energy bridge, but it does make for a fun one!

Thanks kindly for taking the time to read this, I hope to spend more time on this forum :)

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion, it's well put. I will add this at the next opportunity. Similar suggestions have been made before, but I was not attracted before because they added too much complexity and potential problems. The idea of a single, clear, energy loss percentage is simple and should be problem-free.

It's also kind of important, because if 2 other energy mods are present with conversion between them with a different conversion ratio from the one Galacticraft uses, then an "infinite energy loop" could be created under the current system using blocks from 3 different mods.

('Next opportunity' = it could be a few days before we see this, because it probably also needs an update from GC3.0.7 to 3.0.8 for client-server compatibility reasons, I need to think about that.)

Pyure

Jan 19, 2015
Thanks so much and I appreciate the kind words :)

This is probably the fastest and most positive turnaround I've ever...ever...seen on a suggestion. Keep being awesome!

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
This is now in 'Latest' version 3.0.8.257. Thank you for the suggestion.

Reactions: Pyure