Think Im gonna die on the moon

Evl Atheist

Mar 14, 2015
So I have alot of mods loaded and decided Id try for the moon. Suffice it to say I made it pretty easily and began exploring. I had 3 large O2 tanks and did pretty well but when I went to setup my rocket and pad the little fuel I had left was destroyed. I have a refinery with me and most of my gear so I can make oxygen just fine but I cant figure out how Im supposed to get back home. I have searched within a km range of my landing and the only liquids ive found are sludge and waste. Is there oil on the moon so that I can return home without dying?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
If you're stuck in a situation where you endlessly re-spawn on the Moon when you die (but you don't have enough items to survive there or return to the Overworld), there's a Galacticraft config setting to rescue you. Look in core.conf for this:
Code:
    B:"Force Overworld Spawn"=false
and set it to true, restart the game, die, and you'll be back in your bed on the Overworld. (You'll probably want to set it back to its default setting of false again after that.)

Evl Atheist

Mar 14, 2015
Thanks for your replies. Im not worried about losing my stuff as I have a charm of keeping II and a golden bag of holding so I always have all my stuff that I took with me and nothing else in my inventory. Will I respawn on the overworld if I die on the moon as I havent slept there or anything I thought I would. That way Ill even bring all my rocket stuff back with me and everything will be fine Ill just be out about 60 levels. I would rather not lose them but its no big deal I just want to know if I should just off myself and lose them or if I can make some more fuel on the moon. Radfast pointing out the preflight when I am already on the moon isnt helpful in the least and that list is the sole reason I didnt bring an extra cannister of fuel with me. It says to bring an empty of which I have 2 and nothing else about extra fuel. The loader was blown up with the fuel in it losing all the fuel I had though I still have the loader.
Can I make fuel on the moon without oil already with me?

babybasher

Feb 13, 2015
No you can't, there's no oil on the moon. I haven't got as far as making my own fuel yet, so don't know about that side :p

I'd feel bad about altering the config to respawn on the over world. I'd feel like a no good cheat, and would prefer to start the game again!

Evl Atheist

Mar 14, 2015
I suspected that was the case, at this point Ive checked everything within a 5 km range and had come up dry. If your heading that way and have other mods installed flying on the moon is the way to go. Im using an angel ring but I also have ars magica for flying as well with the air thing and it makes it so much easier to explore and find everything. So I guess the only question is now if I die will I respawn on the moon or not? It would seem odd to me to do so given that when you die in almost every other dimension you respawn at your bed and at least that way i can get back with everything. I would definitely recommend putting in the "pre-flight checklist" that an extra can of fuel is recommended given how easy it can be lose the little that remains to you.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
So I guess the only question is now if I die will I respawn on the moon or not?

Nope, it has already been answered:

If you're stuck in a situation where you endlessly re-spawn on the Moon when you die (but you don't have enough items to survive there or return to the Overworld), there's a Galacticraft config setting to rescue you. Look in core.conf for this:
Code:
    B:"Force Overworld Spawn"=false
and set it to true, restart the game, die, and you'll be back in your bed on the Overworld. (You'll probably want to set it back to its default setting of false again after that.)

Galacticraft is a bit peculiar in how the player will keep respawning at the last dimension he arrived to. I don't know what's reasoning behind that is, but I'd imagine it'd be better if the spawn was tied to the lander, so if it gets destroyed, the respawn would reset.

Though I'd also acknowledge it to be a shortcoming in the current design how the player can get stranded on other dimensions. On the bright side a solution has been gradually worked on, and the method will probably vary depending on the celestial body. For example has radfast implemented a way for producing your own fuel on Mars that previously didn't exist in Galacticraft.

I'm not sure how your fuel was destroyed, but if you are feeling cheated by the mod, you could resort to using the command "/dimensiontp" to get yourself back home. That is assuming you have cheats enabled.

Evl Atheist said:
I would definitely recommend putting in the "pre-flight checklist" that an extra can of fuel is recommended given how easy it can be lose the little that remains to you.

Well, you might get a message like this when interacting with a rocket at new game sessions:

I9Y7DKn.png

The way it appears in-game perhaps could be a bit more refined, but it'll eitherway link you the information a player should know before blasting off into space.

Reactions: radfast

Evl Atheist

Mar 14, 2015
First off let me say that you guys have put together one heck of a mod, its awesome. This hasnt turned me off it at all and I plan on exploring the rest of it when I can. Ill just be more careful about bringing backup supplies like this. I have looked through other forums that I hadnt seen before and see where this has been an issue of sorts before but mostly for people not bringing the supplies. My fuel was destroyed when a creeper blew up the loader as the fuel in it isnt persistent when the block is destroyed, it came up on me while I was setting up my return on initial landing so I was prepped for leaving when I choose to. I flew up in the air so took no damage but the fuel was gone so I got stuck. I see the change to the Pre-launch and its good to see, you guys are fast to adapt and put the info out there. Im just gonna alter the config and die to respawn at home i just wanted to say thanks for all the work on a great mod and for such speedy replies.

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
Next time, save yourself with a clone!
I have a Cauldron server and Essentials, and disabled cross-dimensional teleports so that you can't hop back to Earth, make something, and go back to the moon/mars. These clones all have separate inventories, meaning you'd have to make supplies, rocket up there, throw them in a chest, come back, and then switch to your previously doomed moon clone. Sure it's still hard, but it's more legit this way.

danosh

May 2, 2018
So I have alot of mods loaded and decided Id try for the moon. Suffice it to say I made it pretty easily and began exploring. I had 3 large O2 tanks and did pretty well but when I went to setup my rocket and pad the little fuel I had left was destroyed. I have a refinery with me and most of my gear so I can make oxygen just fine but I cant figure out how Im supposed to get back home. I have searched within a km range of my landing and the only liquids ive found are sludge and waste. Is there oil on the moon so that I can return home without dying?

It's possible to create a nether portal within an oxygen sealed room. When you've gone through the portal, just find your original portal and tp back to your original world. (This can only be done of course if you have the resources for the nether portals and oxygen sealed room). Luckily I happened to have a lot of resources on hand.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
It's possible to create a nether portal within an oxygen sealed room. When you've gone through the portal, just find your original portal and tp back to your original world.
That's good creative thinking, I like it.