Meteors and creative test worlds.

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
I'm running a server in creative mode to test how stable my setups are, and also to watch for odd mod behavior. I've set up most of my stuff on mars and it's intended purpose is to be around for days. So you can imagine how a meteor can put a hole in my testing...literally. I've turned the gamerules doMobSpawning and doMobGriefing off in the hopes that Meteors would obey these rules and still find destruction.

I'm asking for your help @radfast. I'd like some sort of way to turn off the destruction.

babybasher

Feb 13, 2015
I haven't got to Mars yet, are the meteors worse than on the moon?

I ask because I am constructing a large glass done ATM :p

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
I believe the meteor falling/spawning rate is either equivalent or similar. I've heard somewhere (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that a slim chance for them to fall on the Overworld exists, but I have never seen this happen. I've only visited the asteroids dimension a few times but it seems immune. I've used chunk anchors to keep my testing grounds loaded, and as a result, the meteors stack on each other. I'm not complaining that this happens, but for testing, I'd like the option to disable it.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Meteors do more damage in Hard mode. A chunk anchor will give you a lot of meteors, because there is a chance of a meteor every tick the chunk is loaded. I'm not sure about meteors falling on the Overworld, never seen that and I've not looked to see if it's in the game code or not.

* People generally want more meteors, as that means you can mine more meteoric iron
* Surface structures which don't have blast resistance are certainly going to be vulnerable to meteors.
* We can maybe implement a config setting to disable the damage, but I'm not too keen because adding configs adds complexity for average users
* Instead of that I am also thinking about whether meteors should be much more widely scattered around the loaded chunks, as that will look more natural, also meteor presence on the surface is a dead giveaway for the location of a secret underground Moon base - this is the option I am most likely to go for, but need to figure out a way to make a meteor fall in an unloaded chunk nearby
* As I've mentioned in another Suggestion thread many months back, in the future we do plan for some kind of meteor defence system but that's still a way off

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
That's great and all for survival. And I support it. But on a creative server it's like having charged TNT fall from the sky. We don't need to add a config, just respect the gamerules doMobSpawning and mobGriefing. I turned these off thinking that meteors would be counted as mobs, and if not then the damage would be.
My opinion on meteors falling onto the Overworld matches what I've heard (somewhere, no clue where) is that they should be a very rare occurrence. I figure once a minecraft week would be what I'd agree with on the high end. It shouldn't serve as a supply of meteoric iron as there's already one on the moon, and doesn't need to serve as a method of difficulty on the overworld. At least for me since I have the weather mod installed.
I can defend my base from meteors with IC2 reinforced stone/glass (blast resistance equivalent to a nuclear explosion,) but putting it over my entire test area would cause frame drop.

EDIT: @radfast as a trade off I'd support meteor showers so long as on my test worlds I don't have to worry about random explosions destroying my creations.

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
Actually I'm just looking for a way to completely turn them off so my test worlds don't get cratered. Really annoying to come back and see that a test for an infinite material loop that will take (irl) days to confirm has been blown up.

If you have IC2 surrounding a structure in reinforced stone/glass is more than enough. The only way to make a hole in that stuff is to set off a nuclear explosion right next to it, and even then it only strips one layer away. The only downside is you'll have meteors on your rooftop, unless you want more meteoric iron.

babybasher

Feb 13, 2015
* Instead of that I am also thinking about whether meteors should be much more widely scattered around the loaded chunks, as that will look more natural

I've spent hours upon hours in the same area on the moon building my base now. Surprisingly it's only taken one direct hit which did no damage at all (glass blocks don't seem to break when directly hit). It took another hit when another meteor landed on the moon turf right next to it though, blew a hole in the glass walls :p Anyway back on track...

I just took a look around the general area of my base, and it is totally ridiculous. Must be about 100 meteors scattered around it!

I play in survival only and love the exploration aspect. As it currently is all you have to do is go afk on the moon for a while, then walk around mining the meteors that have fallen. Seems cheap, so I haven't. Probably should just to clean the area up though :p

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I am looking forward to any changes that require people having to actually journey out to find meteors.

P.S. I thought for a while that moon creepers spontaneously exploded. Kinda embarrassed to say how long it took before I realised it was meteors :(