Space Station Suggestions

Do you want these features?

• Total voters

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
I think space stations need a revamp swell. You should be able to build multiple space stations per player and be able to travel between them with some from of mini-rocket which could only travel to earth and to other stations. Another good idea would be to make some mechanism to spawn your para-chest somewhere else besides that one block. I think that blue block should have an inventory where it could store the rocket, and if its inventory is full, it would just drop the item near it, for the player to pick up later. The block should also be transparent and be able to be moved through, but you can't place blocks where it is and you can place blocks on it, and it is still an obstruction to any mouse actions (Right clicking, Attacking) But can be moved through

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Was thinking about space stations recently, too...

So, my idea(s):
- A "Shuttle", basically a specialized rocket which can only travel between a planet and a space station in orbit around it
- A shuttle dock, two blocks, have to be built into the wall of a SS. If a shuttle (or any other rocket?) attempts to "land" on a SS, it should check first if there is an unoccupied dock, and if yes, attach to it instead of turning into a parachest. The dock should also be able to fuel and cargoload a rocket, and have a GUI button to mount the attached spacecraft. On dismount the player should appear on it's "inside" side. The dock stays in the SS, unlike a launchpad.
- The Shuttle should land as itself, instead of creating a lander, so that it can be launched right away, without launchpads and/or fuel loaders. Either with a parachute (on planets with air; one should be included in it's crafting recipe), or with landing thrusters, like the moon lander. Maybe it would still need a launchpad/dock to fuel it, but usually you have enough fuel for at least one trip back anyway.

And, even further:
- Upgrade the station into an actual spaceship! Place a special block, some kind of a "Transorbital Control Unit", it checks if your SS dimension contains some necessary blocks, and if yes, it shows you the solar system map. Having space stations in separate dimensions could make it work:
- Launching to a planet as above just moves the "space station" to another orbit, i.e. changes the dimension where you go when you leave the station. If you launch a rocket now, the planet you selected . The sky as visible from the SS (it can mean space station and space ship now) should change, too
- Motion Thrusters: Needed to be added to a station to convert it to a ship. probably tiered, similar to rockets. Should be placed outside, facing the same direction. Should be connected to fuel tanks or filled manually. No idea what should happen if multiple thruster blocks are added... Maybe you need more thrusters for bigger ships, which then in turn consume more fuel

Reactions: thiago1255

Snippytorque

Apr 12, 2015
I have an idea that would make the spawn blocks unnecessary: make the station spawn with a launch pad and make it so that whenever you go to a space station, you land on the first launch pad the game finds. Also make it so that when you leave the station from the last launch pad, it doesn't get destroyed. Finally, the game would warn you upon breaking the last launch pad (you might think this is unnecessary as you need a launch pad to leave the station, but there is the possibility that a mod might add another way off the station, so it actually will be necessary.)

Snippytorque

Apr 12, 2015
I shouldn't have to build on to it. If you were a visitor to a real space station, NASA would not ask you to help them build it. Come on. o_O
The problem with that way of thinking is that in Galacticraft, you pretty much are NASA. So yeah, you do have to build your own space station. Unless of course you're on a server and someone else invites you to their space station.

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
Was thinking about space stations recently, too...

So, my idea(s):
- A "Shuttle", basically a specialized rocket which can only travel between a planet and a space station in orbit around it
- A shuttle dock, two blocks, have to be built into the wall of a SS. If a shuttle (or any other rocket?) attempts to "land" on a SS, it should check first if there is an unoccupied dock, and if yes, attach to it instead of turning into a parachest. The dock should also be able to fuel and cargoload a rocket, and have a GUI button to mount the attached spacecraft. On dismount the player should appear on it's "inside" side. The dock stays in the SS, unlike a launchpad.
- The Shuttle should land as itself, instead of creating a lander, so that it can be launched right away, without launchpads and/or fuel loaders. Either with a parachute (on planets with air; one should be included in it's crafting recipe), or with landing thrusters, like the moon lander. Maybe it would still need a launchpad/dock to fuel it, but usually you have enough fuel for at least one trip back anyway.

And, even further:
- Upgrade the station into an actual spaceship! Place a special block, some kind of a "Transorbital Control Unit", it checks if your SS dimension contains some necessary blocks, and if yes, it shows you the solar system map. Having space stations in separate dimensions could make it work:
- Launching to a planet as above just moves the "space station" to another orbit, i.e. changes the dimension where you go when you leave the station. If you launch a rocket now, the planet you selected . The sky as visible from the SS (it can mean space station and space ship now) should change, too
- Motion Thrusters: Needed to be added to a station to convert it to a ship. probably tiered, similar to rockets. Should be placed outside, facing the same direction. Should be connected to fuel tanks or filled manually. No idea what should happen if multiple thruster blocks are added... Maybe you need more thrusters for bigger ships, which then in turn consume more fuel
Great idea! The Shuttle and the Shuttle dock is a good idea for space station to space station travel. I think you should also be able to move a station to new coordinates via some form of rockets and the blue block in the centre. The blue block could also be replaced with something like a space station core or a central command. Another annoying thing, the solar panels should have another crafting recipe which combines them with walkways to get a horisonal solar panel, which would look more spacey than the current solar panels when attached to a space station

Reactions: Xenolith166

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
Yea that sounds like a pretty good idea, and maybe there could be a hight factor as well? Like the lower you go, the faster you travel to other locations, but as you get lower you need more propellant to use in some form of machine (New idea as well) to keep yourself from falling into earth. If your station goes lower than Y=0 your station falls to earth regardless of your propellant use. All the blocks would drop as items in your 'area', spread randomly around it. At Y= 250 (Or something else) You don't use any propellant but you have no movement potential (Geocentric orbit)

Xenolith166

Nov 3, 2015
I'd like it if you could make your space station, then put some kind of engine or something on it and use it for interplanetary travel. Also, you should be able to mount insanely powerful weapons systems on them and use them for surface bombardment. Like, I made my huge space thing, now I'm gonna go to mars and carve it up with my huge laser of doom and death. Or shoot a huge tungsten rod down there and make t go boom like that scene in G. I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra. That would be awesome.

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
I'd like it if you could make your space station, then put some kind of engine or something on it and use it for interplanetary travel. Also, you should be able to mount insanely powerful weapons systems on them and use them for surface bombardment. Like, I made my huge space thing, now I'm gonna go to mars and carve it up with my huge laser of doom and death. Or shoot a huge tungsten rod down there and make t go boom like that scene in G. I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra. That would be awesome.
Like this?
http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/motherships.5037/
:D

Reactions: Xenolith166

Xenolith166

Nov 3, 2015
Yes. Very much yes. Good job sir, that is pretty much exactly what I had in mind.
Well, off to the thread in the comment above. See ya later.