Launch Controller: What am I doing wrong, and where is my launch pad?

Terri_C

Apr 16, 2015
Using Galacticraft 1.7-3.0.11.319

I just tried to use a cargo rocket with a launch controller for the first time. I'm on Mars, and I wanted to launch the rocket from a place on the Mars surface to land at my Mars base.

I placed the launch pad and cargo rocket, then put down a fuel loader, added fuel, and added batteries until my rocket was 100% fueled. Then I broke the fuel loader to take it with me to another location. I added some items to the cargo rocket, but did not fill it all the way. Then I added a launch controller next to the pad. I already had a pad with a launch controller at my base in preparation for this test, so I matched up the frequencies (I used 1 for my base and 2 for the other pad), which both turned green.

I set the launch controller to break the launch pad and then tried to set a condition under which the rocket would launch. I tried "fully fueled," "10 seconds," and "instantly." (I was using batteries to power the controller, returning to my base to recharge them for each attempt.) Nothing I did with the launch controller caused the rocket to launch. I finally launched it with the "Launch" button in the rocket itself, which worked. The rocket launched and a short time later landed at my base, but stayed floating about 3 blocks above the launch pad there. I could not find the broken launch pad anywhere, either floating near the launch site, in my inventory, or in the cargo rocket at my base.

1) What am I doing wrong with the launch controller? Do I have to place things and set settings in a particular order to make it all work? I have read the Wiki and searched the forums, but can't find any more specific information.

2) Where should I have looked for my launch pad? Does breaking one on launch make it disappear completely? Is there something different I should have done to preserve it?

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
Hey, so the Cargo Rockets have been having a lot of issues since the 1.7 update of Galacticraft (from what I know). The Launch controller seems to be very finicky, but I have gotten mine to work with most conditions, except for fully loaded. Can't seem to get that to work. As for the the launch pad, I have would assume it should be in the cargo rocket inventory, however there may be a bug. Try updating to the latest version of GC: http://ci.micdoodle8.com/job/Galacticraft-1.7/ If there are still issues report them here: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues?q=is:open Also the floating above the launch pad is also a normal known issue. Just a rendering thing, as for me I was still able to launch even when it was floating above the pad. If it bothers you, you can break the rocket and place it back down as it retains the previous fuel.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
The floating is a known issue which we are having trouble fixing, and like Nick Killeen says it's only a rendering thing, although annoying to be sure.

If something else is not working then it could be a bug. The Cargo Rockets and Launch Controllers are supposed to work perfectly. If the bug can be described so that I can understand it - exact steps to reproduce it are always appreciated - then we should be able to fix it very quickly. @Nick Killeen I don't appreciate the comment that things have been having a lot of issues or are finicky. If you're aware of an issue, report it in a way that I can reproduce it, and it will get fixed.

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
All that I meant by finicky was that I've noticed a lot of bug reports specifically for Cargo Rockets. You can't say I'm wrong with that one... I didn't mean anything bad by it as I just was stating things as I thought they were. Maybe all issues have been fixed, and if that's so I am sorry as I know you can't code a gigantic mod like this and be constantly testing every little aspect. But I know there are still rendering issues that appear and the last time I tried using a Cargo Loader/controller I was limited to the number on control options I had as maybe there were issues with the version I was using, but have been fixed by now. I will test some of the issues I previously had and report any issues I find. Like I said I did not mean at all to offend you if I did. Also @radfast can you explain what is suppose to happen if inside the controller the box "remove launch pad" is checked the wiki does not give a clear indication unless the pad is just destroyed like @Terri_C seems to be seeing.

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
Also here is an example of what I mean, in my testing I have found that the only issue seems to be that I can't get the cargo rocket to launch when "cargo is full" Video Demonstration:
GC Version: 1.7-3.0.11.324
Forge Version: 10.13.2.1291

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Normally when you launch a rocket from a launch pad, the launch pad is destroyed. (And you get given the launch pad back again in the Parachest or Lander when you land at your destination.)

By default when launching using a Launch Controller it does not destroy the launch pad, the launch pad remains and can be re-used or things can land on it. The "Remove pad" is - as the name suggests - for people who actually want the launch pad to be destroyed, in the same way as if there was not a Launch Controller there.

Thanks for reporting a problem with the "Cargo is Full" setting, that's fine to cover that here, I can take a look at it. Your video is helpful.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
The Cargo is Full setting is working correctly - if you throw one more item into your hopper in that video, it will detect that the rocket is "full" and then launch. Basically you have tricked it by filling it with buckets which don't stack, but it has no way to know that it is now "full" until it actually tries to add 1 more item.
See also: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.p...troller-about-launch-when-cargo-is-full.5189/

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
Sorry for butting in... But it seems that having to "back stuff" into an inventory before it knows it's full is a bug in itself...

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I don't agree with you QuadShot. It's certainly not a "bug" as it is currently working as intended. If you can come up with a better way to code it, code improvements are always welcomed - that's one of the great things about Galacticraft being an open source mod. The correct procedure is to code it first, test it works, then make a Pull Request and if it looks good we will merge it.

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
I'm really sorry if my comments are "stupid/rude" sounding, I don't mean them to. I don't know Java and I'm not really excited about learning yet another language. What I would do in asm or c, would be to set a counter then increment/decrement the counter, is that a thing in java?