Magnetic belt to attract items before they fly away

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Please explain more about the auto-pickup - like is it all the time, or only in Space dimensions? What armour is the player wearing? The Titanium armour is intended to have a slight auto-pickup ability, like a MMMPS magnet on a low setting.
I'd like to propose a thing: Magnetic belt.

The Magnetic Belt is a wearable item that attracts items that are up to 4 meters from the player. This item can be placed in the Galacticraft tab, under the slots for oxygen tanks. Its crafting recipe could have Titanium or Meteoric Iron, Batteries, or even a new ore Magnetite.

Once you are using the Magnetic belt, the game will check if there are item/drops floating or laying around you, if so, the items will be pulled towards you, quite like the NEI's "Magnet mode" or Modular PowerSuits Addon's Magnet module.

Thus, the space stations and asteroids dimensions could go full zero-gravity and items could float and accumulate, and even drift away and despawn after 5 minutes if the play doesn't collect the items in time. Magnetic Belt could avoid this situation. You never know when you will need one: http://www.space.com/6131-astronaut-laments-lost-spacewalk-tool-bag.html

Last edited:

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Very unique and original idea to GalactiCraft, but doesn't Magnetite only attract iron? If it was used in the recipe, I believe several other "special" items should be used that would, in some logical way, work together to attract objects.

Vigilantecow

Oct 5, 2013
Some Place Cold
moonquest.com
I REALLY like this idea, so I had a try at making a texture for it.... (Don't judge, I've never textured anything other then skins before..)
Magnetic%2BBelt.png

Not sure why its so small... I might try something to fix it...

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
I REALLY like this idea, so I had a try at making a texture for it.... (Don't judge, I've never textured anything other then skins before..)
Magnetic%2BBelt.png

Not sure why its so small... I might try something to fix it...
You should make it 32x32 if you wanted to add more detail to it.
Also, it's so small because your image is a 16x16 image.

radyjko

May 7, 2014
Glassteria
It would be shame to accidentially drop any item in space, especially magnetic belt :3

I'm currently plaing with Thaumcraft (sorry Mic! Waiting til full GC3) and Baubles. Meybe with baubles installed additional slot for belt would dissapear and you could use belt slot from baubles?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
If anyone wants to make a 32x32 icon for it - horizontal belt please - we can probably get this into Galacticraft pretty quickly. (I suck at drawing and graphical stuff in case you guys didn't figure that out yet...)

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Even though a diagonal variant has the benefit of allowing more details to be crammed into it, I do also think it should be horizontal. I guess it's relative to the leggings. Nevertheless, I do like Vigilantecow's sprite which has a high-tech look with its neon blue decor in the center and nicely defined contrast lines.

In vanilla Minecraft are item icons and block textures only 16x16, which is merely half the size of 32x32. It's understandable why one would go for 32x32.

Anyway, I thought I could give this matter a try of my own:

WYONq10.png

I think using the color scheme of red and white could help people associating it with a magnet, since it's a traditional color of choice for defining its two poles. Or atleast that's the way of how I view it.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

Chronos7

May 13, 2015
Would be cool.

Idea: A new item is added called the Grav Belt. It can be worn over anything. The idea of the belt is that on any planet/Asteroid you are on has normal gravity(While wearing the belt).

1: Medium recipe

2: Asteroids have the same gravity function as the satrs from the star miner mod. (u can walk completely around them and go upside down.

Optional , crazy extras:

1: The belt can gen a small worm hole that teleports you to a chosen local. (50 block range)

2: The belt has a gui where you can add upgrades (Force Field, Regen, etc)

Yes I know this would be hard to add but its a cool idea.

Oh 1 more though. When wearing the Grav Belt on earth it will slow your fall causing no fall damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
Great idea for the magnetic belt! I always seem to drop my stuff into space and end up falling to earth trying to retrieve them. It would also be cool if you could turn it on and off so it would only attract items if you want it to. And it would also be cool if it could hold you to your space station via magnetism so you wouldn't be able to float away into space

Mar 8, 2015
Question, Ezer'Arch if the magnetic belt attracts to object can it repel to other objects similar to a real magnet? (Metallic Objects to be exact.)

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
Probably, but that would be very hard to code. How about a device that prevents you from ever pressing Q when active or attaching items to you

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Probably, but that would be very hard to code. How about a device that prevents you from ever pressing Q when active or attaching items to you
(Late reply) The idea based on the Magnet mode present in the Not Enough Items mod. As you mine, the block drops fall on the floor; after 10~20 tics, the drops within an 8 block radius fly towards the player. But GC magnet belt would attract drops at the half of that speed.

If you want to give items to another player close enough: aim at him, press Q. The drop is collected if it collides with another player's hitbox.

If the magnet belt is being a hassle: take it off the GC inventory for a while.

Last edited:

7eggert

Apr 20, 2018
I'm using the QuantumFlux magnet for this purpose, it's one of the best magnets I encountered. It's possible to deactivate it with a hotkey.

Magnets working slower are reported to cause lag when being abused as an enheanced inventory, but the QF magnet has a duplication bug with hoppers.