What should be changed in the mod

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im nowhere but also everywhere
Hi, it's me again and this time im posting a thread listing various things that have always bugged me about galacticraft and ways to fix/add onto some of them in the future if possible.

1. Martian surface: Mars currently has a surface of rock, rock, and more rocks. In real life, Mars has dirt, red sand, dust, and other things on it's surface besides a barren wasteland(like boulders and sand dunes). Minecraft versions 1.7 and up have red sand implemented into vanilla so you can use that and for the dirt it shouldn't be to hard to implement a Mars varient to use, it should be terraformable and be capable of supporting plant life while waters nearby. Sort of like your giving the Mars soil nutrients for plants to grow since theres already CO2 present. The Mars dirt would replace the surface rock and subsurface rocks obviously.

Update: There can possiblly be miniture lakes or tiny streams very rarely since the real Mars has trace amounts of running water. I know ruins aren't really planned but for those of us that believe Mars once had a civilization that died out and have seen the this would be a good feature for exporation but it would need a config toggle so players who don't like the ruins can turn them off.

Mars should also have a surface more like a wasteland using the above terrain features and have them generate in such a way that the surface doesn't get dull when exploring... because lets be honest, the current Mars is really lacking when theres so much real life martian features that can be used to spice up the mods planet.

Mars biomes: This ones a good idea for the red sand, that way we can have big sandy/dusty areas with dunes scattered around it and another biome for the dirt. Dust storms would happen frequently in the sandy/dusty biomes and the dirt biomes will have carbon snow. The dirt biomes would have small patches of surface rock and boulders scattered around it similar to NASAs rover images of the Martian surface... not just a barren plain that's essentially a red version of the overworlds moon. The biomes can be called Martian Plains or Martian Wastes(dirt) and Martian Dunes(sand or dust)

Update: I thought of another biome recently, the "Dried Ocean". It would generate similar to the overworlds oceans but the key difference is there would be no water and it would essentially be a large 'dip' in the sureface level of the planet until you reach the edges of the biome. Both red sand and mars dirt can generate here like how dirt and sand do for the overworld.

Moon: The moon is pretty good as is acctually, one pet peeve I have though is the inability to farm on moon dirt like older versions of galacticraft. It's dirt, it's on the moon, and it would save time and effort transporting massive amounts of dirt from the homeworld.... I mean, who wants to mine dirt when we can be out looking for a moon dungeon? Not to mention it's not to much of a stretch that ploping some water near the moon dirt will allow soil nutreints in a true minecraft fashion :p

Asteroid Belt: Pretty awesome as is, add in a gravity system like what gravity craft use to have so we can walk on all sides of the asteroids and it would be 100% better.

Update: Not sure how well people would like the idea but ive always wanted to see the wreckage or ruins of abandoned space stations/ships floating around the open void that is the asteriod belt. It in these ruins players can find the boss of the dimension in order to progress, as well as items needed for upgrading certain gear.

Space Stations: Only 2 things to be said about this and I know one has been freqently suggested more then anything else, aka artificial gravity. So I won't bother going into details there but it might be possible to add in a pseudo RCS flight system for station worlds until you guys work out gravity later, just so us players aren't flung out into deep space and can't get back. The other is fixing up the API to allow addon creators to add custom space stations.

Moons: The major one is fixing the zoom glitch addons get when adding new solar systems the moons/stations. Other then that I don't really got anything to list here since the mod only has 1 moon, a planet, and the asteroid belt...

Update: Moons that were formed from a planet in the begining of that planets life cycle(aka our moon) should have the same ores that can be found on their parent world since they are made from the exact same materials, right?

Moons that are captured like the martian moons or some of the Venus ones should have uniqe ores or materials for themselves to symbolize they are from different parts of space unlike split off moons. This would also give some moving room for the galacticraft team to work on some fictional world/material/items later on when they need area to start that those tiers of progression in the future.

Better Terraforming: This is a big one in my eyes... we got infinite planetary terrain and a terraformer that only terraforms a small area that isn't even close to big enough to live in and in comparison to the amount of land on that planet(no limit) it's measly. Now, don't get me wrong. I think the current usage and way it's implemented is perfect... but only if the terrain was finite. Not to mention the terraformers bubble doesn't give breathable air so we have to put down a oxygen bubble distributor as well just to breathe so we waste twice to power... at that point it's not really worth the time, effort, or resources you put in balance wise.

So how would an infinite terrain terraformer work? That's where the chunk idea I thought of comes in play. In real life science can easily splice/engineer new species of plants so making a strain of, lets say moss, that can survive the Martian enviroment would be easy and it would be able to grow due to CO2 being present on the planet... it's just getting a person to Mars or building a rover smart enough to take care and plant such a creation that's a problem. A problem galacticrfraft players don't have.

My idea goes hand in hand with my realistic Mars surface one, players can create a special plant that when planted on Mars it goes into a 'waiting state' similar to an adaption period where the plant is getting use to the new enviroment. At this stage the player must periodically care for the plant and nurture it to make sure it doesn't die and when the 'adaption phase' is finally finished the player doesn't need to worry about it dieing anymore and it will start to spread to other surface blocks around it. After a certain amount of this plant is present in a chunk that chunk is marked as terraformed so it has breathable air, the martian surface heats up due to greenhouse gases so ice melts. Thermal padding/oxygen gear isn't needed in a terraformed chunk and chunks that have been terraformed will keep the status and be fully livable as if it was home on the overworld. The plant will spread into neighboring chunks as well and when enough has covered a chunk it also gets terraformed.

Obviously the plant will be late game and spread slowly for balanceing purposes but other then that it seems like a great terraforming method for infinite terrain. When a player isn't in range it won't spread like any other surface spreading block to prevent performance issues.
When it spreads into mars dirt it converts the block similar to grass blocks converting dirt blocks, breaking the newly converted blocks give mars dirt. If the plant spreads into red sand(or mars sand) it converts the block into a sand/dust block covered with that plant, it's like a grass block but made of sand and the texture would look similar to podzol instead of the grassy texture the mars dirt plants have.

There can even be a system in place to detect open areas under a certain Y-axis and fill that area with water in order to spawn pseudo lakes, rivers, and oceans on the mars terrain during the terraforming process. This obviously won't happen all the time and will only happen on planets with ice or water elements present on them for more realism. Only reason im suggesting it for Mars right now is due to the real mars having ice present, pretty sure terraforming/heating the planet would melt that ice and it would form lakes and other water features.

Update: Another thing that bugs me about Mars is water, if the surface is cold then why doesn't water refreeze like the water in taiga biomes? Seems like it would be a good feature and only having a heat/light source near the water or having it in a sealed oxygen enviroment(after sealed areas provide thermal protection of course) would prevent water from converting to ice.

I think that's all of it, might be more I forgot about so might add onto it later.
Anyways, give me some feedback people! Do these ideas suck, are they good, and if they are bad what can be done to fix them?

Edit: Updated things

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezer'Arch

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
If you want more realism, then there should be just plain zero gravity in the asteroid dimension IMHO

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im nowhere but also everywhere
If you want more realism, then there should be just plain zero gravity in the asteroid dimension IMHO
Yep, we got zero G in space station dimensions so why not asteroids? Realism can only go so far before fun starts getting limited though, so there has to be a better way to navigate the zero gravity enviroment that isn't something as iffy as a grapple hook(I suck with aiming bows and the same applies to the grapple apparently... can't count how many times ive needed to go into creative just to stop myself from flying off into space uncontroabally).

Only thing I could think of that would of fit the mods theme and would be simple to implement for now would be a RCS pack and a RCS flight system for zero G dimensions, at least until we get something like artificial gravity or another way to manuver in the future