Thermal protection in sealed buildings

PlacidWalrus

Aug 9, 2015
For most people, once you have the thermal padding, moving about on planets like Mars becomes a non-issue. However, for people like me that have lots of mob adding mods or that are looking to set up a more permanent residence on mars, you need to be able to provide thermal protection to other units besides yourself (like, cows, sheep, *cough* http://i.imgur.com/NC3issV.png *cough*).

I propose making it so that either:
1) Oxygen Sealed rooms grant thermal protection
2) Add a new machine that functions similarly to the Oxygen Sealer (or maybe even the Bubble distributor... that might be fun) that provides thermal protection to all mobs in it's effective area

Option one here is kinda the easy mod option so I'd lean more towards option 2 but I know that means adding new machines. This update would also be useful if a player only has one set of thermal padding and either dies in a mars dungeon and wants to recuperate at his base or if a player invites other players from the server to chill at their base even if the other players have no life support gear.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Yes, I agree. It could then be broken down even further into heaters and coolers, or just left as some kind of an "air conditioner" which automatically adjusts the temperature. My idea: the device has to be placed into an oxygenated area (aka adjacent to an breathable air-block), it iterates through all connected air blocks, and grants thermal resistance to all of them, consuming more energy for more air blocks to be climatized. Maybe larger areas need multiple AC units, like it would need multiple oxygen sealers. In vacuum or in the overworld it does nothing.

PlacidWalrus

Aug 9, 2015
I agree with everything pra said. I was going to add some of those thoughts myself but I wanted to keep the initial idea simple. And yes, the buff should only be provided if there is also atmosphere to propagate it. Unless, I guess if it were a sort of thermal radiation based heating unit. That could propagate without an atmosphere but it could be blocked by walls and such... just speaking in terms of physics. Maybe a bubble based thermal radiation dispensing version could be made that doesn't require an atmosphere but that's getting a little crazy. But there's no way to transmit cooling that way unless it was some sort of perfect destructive resonance transmitted by radiation or something...

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
My idea:

1. Make it so the Oxygen Sealer can also work as a heater or cooler, say, this would get its own thermal control system (TCS).
2. Create an "Ambient Thermal Controller" item.
3. If the player uses the "Ambient Thermal Controller" item in the Oxygen Sealer, the built-in thermal control system will be turned on in the sealer and it will heat or cool the air according to the environment, as does the thermal padding.
4. The Oxygen Sealer with TCS on will consume the double of energy.

snNMSDF.png

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
What about cooling? There ARE hot planets that are gonna be added later so I would assume we need something like an air conditioner :p
But right now there are only 'cool' planets, despite the fact that the temperatures on the moon can exceed 200 degrees celsius.

My idea:

1. Make it so the Oxygen Sealer can also work as a heater or cooler, say, this would get its own thermal control system (TCS).
2. Create an "Ambient Thermal Controller" item.
3. If the player uses the "Ambient Thermal Controller" item in the Oxygen Sealer, the built-in thermal control system will be turned on in the sealer and it will heat or cool the air according to the environment, as does the thermal padding.
4. The Oxygen Sealer with TCS on will consume the double of energy.

snNMSDF.png
I would rather the heater to be a separate machine, which can heat or cool, depending on machine. It would make a lot more sense. And it should only ever work in sealed space, as heaters need an atmosphere to transfer the heat. The energy require for the heaters should be based on the amount of space needed to be heated. It would require only energy to run.

Last edited by a moderator:

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im nowhere but also everywhere
But right now there are only 'cool' planets, despite the fact that the temperatures on the moon can exceed 200 degrees celsius.

I would rather the heater to be a separate machine, which can heat or cool, depending on machine. It would make a lot more sense. And it should only ever work in sealed space, as heaters need an atmosphere to transfer the heat. The energy require for the heaters should be based on the amount of space needed to be heated. It would require only energy to run.
Theres already addons that add hot planets so having the cooler in at the same time as the heater is a good idea . Having both as one machine not only keeps things simple for us players but keeps the code simple for the galacticraft team should this get added. It should work on planets with their own atmosphere out of the box like on Mars but need to be sealed if no atmosphere is present like on the moon, space stations, or astroids.

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Or maybe actually do add a radiator which works without an atmosphere. You definitely can heat things up using microwaves or infrared radiation, and, come on, this is minecraft, freeze rays wouldn't be that absurd here :D
Maybe also add an actual freeze ray gun which is required in order to construct a radiation cooler (otherwise it could shoot snowballs which give Slowness III while consuming energy). Hmm, that gives me an idea for another thread...

micdoodle8

Administrator
Nov 12, 2012
I ended up going with the ambient temperature regulator type system inside the sealer. This was not only easier to implement but made more sense... if there's little to no air, how would it be heated/cooled? You would always need the room sealed anyway, so a separate machine is a pain.

The latest dev build has this new feature implemented. Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Reactions: pra and Ezer'Arch

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
In order to cool something down you need to transfer its heat away, which is done by radiators. Albeit the concept of how to factor the heat buildup requiring dissipation from the oxygen sealer sounds a bit complicated.

Nevertheless, given that I do textures I'd like to offer an alternate design proposal for the ambient thermal controller:

BkqgSYo.png

It's loosely based on the original, but with the colors red and blue to indicate temperature manipulation. It also has a color gradient inspired from an actual thermometer.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch
May 26, 2015
i am having trouble with the thermal system described here...even when i am standing directly next to it my heat bar continues to drop to dangerously low levels.if it helps i have other mods installed...but not any that should affect it unless metroid cubed 3 is messing me up.