Reversed Rocket Tier Usage

LokeYourLord

Feb 25, 2015
The "issue" is quite simple and straight forward. It would be nice that in the next version, some kind of indicator would be added to planets (like NBT or such) that let a Rocket indicate if it can go there or not. The reason for why i am asking, is it seems that you need a T3 rocket to fly to a T3 planet, but you can use ANY kind of rocket (T1) to fly across the whole solar system, which if you ask me is plain stupid.

I tried this from Vega B (GalaxySpace planet), which requires a T8 rocket to get to, but i could "travel" the exact same distance back with a T1 rocket, which either does not make sense, or that was a VERY powerful T1 rocket :p. Anyways, some kind of indicator for dimensions/planets would be nice, so that you need the same rocket tier to travel back or to another planet. For the other planets, it would be somewhat better if it worked like this: lets say i'm on a T3 planet, and want to travel to a T5 planet. Now, i would only need a T3 rocket for that, instead of a T5 rocket, as the distance (even if different) is the same for any T* rocket, for example if you can travel to Mars with a T2 rocket and then travel with a T1 rocket to the Asteroids, it would be the same as if you traveled to the Asteroids directly with a T3 rocket.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
My idea:

1. Tiers relate to ranges:
  • Tier 1 - Planetary travel (planet -> its moon or SS)
  • Tier 2 - Interplanetary travel (planet -> nearest planet)
  • Tier 3 - Regional travel (planet -> asteroids or 2 planets)
  • Tier 4 - Interregional travel (inner system -> outer system = pretty much you can go any dimension within the Solar System)
  • Tier 5 - Interstellar travel... and so on.
2. Distance = more fuel required. Cargo = even more fuel required.
  • Make it so rockets consume more fuel per second depending on its tier and inventory space (19 slots = 50%, 36 = 100%, 56 = 150%). Increase their tanks too, 500mB per extra tier.
  • This would make planet-to-planet travel prohibitively expensive for Tier 1 Rockets.

Last edited:

LokeYourLord

Feb 25, 2015
Ye that is also how i thought about, so that would also prevent being able to use the T1 to jump from planet to planet.

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Similar thread: https://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/better-space-travelling-system.5832/
Basically my suggestion there was to use "tiers" as an abstraction for distance. A somewhat revamped version of that:
  • Any Satellites of a planet you are currently on are always tier 1 and can be reached with a tier 1 rocket.
  • Planets which are close to each other have a tier difference of 2, so that you can reach them with a tier 2 rocket. For example, the 4 inner solar system planets could have the "tiers" 1, 3, 5, 7. From earth at 5 you could go to mars or venus, but not to mercury. Mercury would be reachable from venus, though.
  • Planets which are further away from each other and the sun have a difference of 3, for the tier 3 rocket. In this example the outer solar planets would be 10, 13, 16, 19. You would still need to do planet hopping, but you could go anywhere within the system
  • Planets in a system different from the one you are in have a fixed "tier", of about 10 or so. Maybe even 100. A rocket which can go there can definitely go to any point of your current system without intermediate stops.

The thing about the fuel usage is neat. It could be even better if you didn't have to move the fuel from the lander to the rocket each time. The rocket item should either retain it's fuel or be directly fillable, like the fuel canister. Then you could really go overboard with fuel usage and tank sizes. Like, 20 buckets worth of fuel for a trip to mars with a fuel rocket inventory.