Swapping Schematics with Moon Villagers

Someone

Apr 21, 2017
Have you ever raided 3 moon dungeons in a row, only to end up with 3 moon buggy schematics?
It's not great.

I suggest adding schematic trades to alien villagers.
To keep it balanced, they will always demand a schematic of the same tier in return, in addition to some Lunar Sapphires.

Example Trades:
Moon Buggy Schematic + 2 Lunar Sapphires --> Tier 2 Rocket Schematic
Tier 2 Rocket Schematic + 2 Lunar Sapphires --> Moon Buggy Schematic
Cargo Rocket Schematic + 3 Lunar Sapphires --> Tier 3 Rocket Schematic
Ect.

This would add some bad-luck protection and make Alien Villagers more useful.

Reactions: dimion123

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
This is a really nice suggestion, I like it a lot. Eliminates some grind, gives some use for the sapphires you find.

Though myself, I've always thought that Alien Villagers should be more interested in trading for saplings. I have this theory that they prize saplings like people in 17th century Amsterdam prized tulip bulbs. Though the Alien Villagers don't really understand about trees, they just plant saplings in rows and hope something will happen... Actual wood from a tree is their most highly prized artifact...

Reactions: Someone

Someone

Apr 21, 2017
That's some nice Alien Villager lore. Would be fun if that finds it's way in-game somehow.
Actually, they already have saplings planted in farm plots don't they? Which actually grow somehow. o_O

Though using saplings as actual currency might be tricky to balance since they are so common.

Sockdotgif

Apr 10, 2017
i agree with radfast about eliminating grind.

Though using saplings as actual currency might be tricky to balance since they are so common.

maybe stick with saplings for schematic exchanges, but use flowers a/o glow stone dust for other exchanges.
maybe even cheese for saplings! :D

also, nice profile pic ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reactions: Someone

Someone

Apr 21, 2017
That's not a bad idea, though sapphires are not terribly useful as it stands.

And hail the loafs.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
> Actually, they already have saplings planted in farm plots don't they? Which actually grow somehow. o_O

In Galacticraft 1, we used to have a system where saplings can't grow on the Moon unless a lot of conditions are met. I kind of liked that. I think we only removed that rule because it gave some kind of conflict with another mod (I don't remember now, it was 3 years back).

In reality of course plants would never grow on the Moon outside a sealed environment. I'm not totally sure about this, but I think even if you could somehow give them CO2, they still couldn't survive. There would be problems of extreme dehydration (because there's no atmosphere and so no atmospheric moisture), and extreme cold in the lunar night. Trees especially ... these need their air to be "just right", the tree line on mountains shows they can't even grow at high altitude...

Like how in the book / movie The Martian :
all his potatoe plants die because there's a blowout and the plants freeze to death

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Currently the main reason for Alien Villager trading is to save people who take a rocket to the Moon without some essential thing they need for the journey home.

(I'm not sure if you have players who have to reset their map because of making a one-way trip to the Moon? I hardly ever see complaints about it on the forum. In SSP there are several options of course: Creative Mode, use commands or NEI to spawn something in, or in a world with cheats disabled, the Galacticraft config allows you to set to force respawn back on the Overworld after a death. On a server, often commands like /home or /spawn have been provided to all players, and the server admin will always have commands - if he cares enough to help you... )

Anyhow in Galacticraft 4 I have added villager trading which gives you a partially full battery, and crafting ingredients so that it's possible to craft a Fuel Loader if you're smart. So as long as players have a pickaxe to mine for those sapphires, they should eventually be OK....

Sockdotgif

Apr 10, 2017
Currently the main reason for Alien Villager trading is to save people who take a rocket to the Moon without some essential thing they need for the journey home.

(I'm not sure if you have players who have to reset their map because of making a one-way trip to the Moon? I hardly ever see complaints about it on the forum. In SSP there are several options of course: Creative Mode, use commands or NEI to spawn something in, or in a world with cheats disabled, the Galacticraft config allows you to set to force respawn back on the Overworld after a death. On a server, often commands like /home or /spawn have been provided to all players, and the server admin will always have commands - if he cares enough to help you... )

Anyhow in Galacticraft 4 I have added villager trading which gives you a partially full battery, and crafting ingredients so that it's possible to craft a Fuel Loader if you're smart. So as long as players have a pickaxe to mine for those sapphires, they should eventually be OK....

to be honest i liked the old system, it was almost like it was a punishment for not preparing correctly. e.g. Punishing players for not being ready with a way back or enough oxygen. however the case, most players will die anyway due to lack of oxygen. :D

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
This schematics trading is now implemented in Galacticraft 4, build 79 and later.

It's set so the Alien Villagers will only trade Moon schematics, it doesn't seem right for them to trade Mars schematics, they don't know about that stuff!

(In future we can maybe try to find a system where Mars schematics can be traded some other way.)

At the same time, the Alien Villagers would like to buy Jungle Saplings from you...

Reactions: Sockdotgif

Someone

Apr 21, 2017
Great!
It's set so the Alien Villagers will only trade Moon schematics, it doesn't seem right for them to trade Mars schematics, they don't know about that stuff!

(In future we can maybe try to find a system where Mars schematics can be traded some other way.)
Just saying: Asteroid hermits.

Reactions: Sockdotgif