Updating from version 3 to 4

Jun 9, 2017
I am updating my galacticraft world from version 3 in 1.7.10 to version 4 in 1.11.2 but I am running into some issues. So, I've downloaded forge for 1.11.2 and all 3 galacticraft files for 1.11.2, plus 2 other mods for 1.11 and if I just start the game in 1.11.2 and make a new world all the mods work just fine. The problem is if I try to open my old save from galacticraft 3 it says:
-Forge Mod Loader detected missing blocks/items.
There are 275 missing blocks and items in this save. If you continue the missing blocks/items will get removed. A world backup will be automatically created in your saves directory.-
And then it lists all the missing blocks, which are all the blocks from galacticraft. If I continue then it loads my save but all galacticraft blocks are missing, which of course ruins my world completely. Does anyone have an idea about how I can fix my old save so I can play the new version? I love this mod and have over 500 hours in my world, but I really want to play with everything that's been added in version 4 (not to mention everything from 1.7.10 to 1.11.2). Any help would be very appreciated.

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
Hey, unfortunately this process is not generally supported. Here's what the mod author said:
"Updating from older worlds made using Galacticraft 3 / Minecraft 1.7.10 is not supported. A few people have been able to make this work. If you want to try it, proceed cautiously and keep a backup of your 1.7.10 world. Like other Forge mods updating to 1.8+, it's not likely to be a smooth update process. Some tips:
- It may depend on what other mods you're also bringing with you: the smaller the modlist the better
- You should load and save your world in 1.7.10 with the reduced modlist before switching Minecraft versions.
- Galacticraft items in chests or inventories should update correctly, if they don't then the update probably won't work at all for your world
- Galacticraft blocks (machines) placed in the world may not be correct. At minimum it's likely that some block rotations will have changed, there may also be contents loss or other issues.
- It would be a good idea to break and re-place all Galacticraft blocks in your base, and the same for machines from other mods.
- Some blocks have changed, for example oxygen pipe is now fluid pipe.
- Moon, Mars and Asteroids dimensions should be deleted and fully re-generated to have their correct dungeons in Galacticraft 4."

Jun 9, 2017
Hey man, thanks for the info. It's good to know although I am disappointed. I've put over 500 hours into my world over the past year, I don't want to start a new world even if it gives me the updated version. I guess I'll just keep playing in 1.7.10 if there's no other option.

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
Yeah, sorry to hear that. It's just rough (or nearly impossible I'd imagine) for the devs to make worlds compatible across this many versions.