Galacticraft on Curse Forge?

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
It appears to be the general standard now a days to have mods hosted on Curse Forge. It's been a heck of a lot easier for me when throwing modpacks together to quickly navigate through Curse and grab everything I need. You can establish differences between alpha/beta and stable releases (I know that's already done on this site) and see the number of downloads per the individual file. I feel as though it could be nice to have Galacticraft hosted on Curse. This forum is amazing, but it's is more for the die hard fans of this mod. I would be willing to bet that people would be more likely to go through and submit bug reports if it was hosted on Curse as well. It just seems for the overall modding scene, conformity is a good thing. By no means do I think this forum should be "replaced". As I said it's a fantastic place to hold discussions regarding specific topics and overall cool features about the mod that, a general post on let's say Curse Forge could not capture. Just my opinion on the matter, feel free to shoot yours down below.

Reactions: vos

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/2031

It's up to micdoodle8 whether and when he wants to do that. There are a number of reasons not to, including
  • our mod requires 3 files of identical versions, which isn't easy to manage on CurseForge even with dependencies, as Curse would treat them as three different mods - the number of users who have problems from not having the correct version of all 3 files would increase...
  • our mod currently has automatic build systems through the Jenkins which are automatically linked to the downloads, this allows all devs (e.g. me) to create new builds and make them available for download even if micdoodle8 is not available, it would be a huge amount of work, maybe impossible, to transfer these systems over to Curse's systems, and if those systems are not in place then there are going to be delays if we need to get new versions or bugfixes out
  • we are currently making simultaneous builds across three Minecraft versions (1.8.9 / 1.10.2 / 1.11.2) and the ease of doing that would likely be lost if we move to Curse, at present I can literally press one button to have new builds created for all three versions
  • there isn't currently a Curse category which Galacticraft fits properly into - we're not primarily a tech mod although we have a lot of tech. It really needs a new mod category "Space".
I don't see any real downside to the current system. Our download site is pretty nice. If someone wants to make a modpack with Galacticraft, our modpacks permission allows the Galacticraft .jars to be included in the modpack's download on Curse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezer'Arch

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
Makes sense, and thinking about it actually it is a bit tedious to search through curse to find the other dependencies. Personally I like being able to quickly have Jenkins bookmarked and click the three files I need.