Enhancing space stations -- orbital construction yard

croxis

Mar 18, 2013
*puts on armchair back seat game designer hat*

I'm a big fan of player progression in games, so I think it would be nifty if the different worlds were "unlocked" and this is just one of many ideas to do that (inspired by realism!)

Your little ol rocket can only go short distances - so from the overworld to your space station or the moon. To get to the other planets in the inner solar system you will need a bigger ship*. Constructing it on the ground and launching it would take way too much fuel, so you have to build it at your space station**. It would require resources from the moon to build some parts of it (engines fuelled by moon cheese?).

Once built you fly to another world and park in orbit. Being a big ship you can't land, so from your big ship you launch in your small moon rocket and land on the other world.

Getting to the outer planets would require stronger engines and other ship parts, which would require materials from the inner planets. If other star systems are added, then even stronger engines will be needed which will require materials from the outer world.

Another layer of progression is that additional equipment needs to be built at the space station to build the enhanced ship parts.

The advantages is that, if block based construction is used, another level of personalization for the player/guild/town/faction/etc. It also opens up another careerer where players can shuttle people around who want to go to another world but don't have the resources time or desire to build their own ship.

*My personal wish list is that the ship construction is block based like the zeppelin mod of old.

** Kerbal space program is a fantastic example of this. Play the demo if you havent, its a blast!

cur25

Mar 13, 2013
I like this idea, I have some like it in my suggestion thread too. I just don't think it will be easy to code a block based ship that moves like the zeppelin mod does.

croxis

Mar 18, 2013
And people wonder why I'm a big proponent of open source...

Regardless, forge may not even have the api for such a thing, although it doesn't rule out the possibility of just having a static object.

PeppermintPig

Mar 25, 2013
I don't think the suggestion was that of a moving ship, but using a map to represent the ship, cur25.

If it was done that way there would need to be a back-end system coded so that the mod managed which celestial body your ship/map was associated with, and perhaps the mod could display the planet/object below the ship, optionally with a moon/planet above.

Furthermore, the mod could count the amount of non-air blocks in your ship map and factor it against the number of engines to determine your ship's mass and fuel requirements to relocate the ship to another celestial body. Players would have to think through their ship design for efficiency.

The mod would need some kind of astro-navigation console block and possibly multiple engine types. Since travel is virtually instantaneous, fuel and engine type would be factored against distance to target.

I support that idea.